New Item Specifics from April

According to te latest ebay business seller news, hidden amongst a lot of worrying items I noticed that NEW item specifics to the Books category will be available from April - Lets just HOPE that they get it right this time but as with anything ebay do, I aint holding my breath

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Just Bumping This as the book categories have all changed today, so if you have any books listed for sale I would suggest you have a check on them to make sure they have been moved into the right place and you may need to update the item specifics as well.

I'm reserving judgement at the moment until i've had a a bit more time to get my head round the changes but I'd be interested into what othe rpeople both buyers and sellers think of the new structure.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

I'll be honest I had no idea they were rearranging the book categories again, they really messed things up last time and i had to start all over again, i may have to do the same as i've looked at my listings and the item specifics have gone off quite a few, they all seem to be in the right categories however, but also some pictures have vanished too, and to top it off the week before the changes were enforced i had my worst week of sales, i only made £4.22, and it's not really picked up this week either, it may well be easier to end my listings before they relist and start afresh, i wished they wouldn't make changes at nearly the same time as royal mail up their costs aswell, as editing again becomes a real chore.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I can only get half the alphabet of categories in Antique and collectable (A - M) is this me (I use firefox) or is it another ebay c**k up?

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

If there is still anybody out there, does anybody have an answer?

When listing in Antique and Collectable category, The drop down fiction and non fiction subject boxes dont appear to be working properly. With non fiction I can get the sub categories as far as M, but as before it will not let me scroll down.  I tried with Internet explorer today with same result.

As ebay are bombarding me with reminders that my listings are inadequate because of the lack of  item specifics, and before I contact them to express my total disbelief that they can again get something that should be so simple, totally and utterly wrong, does anybody else have this problem?

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

i did not realise the book categories were changing   (actually being reduced ) either till i went to list a couple of medical type books and found that had gone.   what the  hell is wrong with the dewey system which works for anyone else.    like i have said before i have given up trying to sell my surplus sussex books on here,    i actually now get more for them selling them at selected boot sales.    not that ebay gives a toss about a trivial little seller like me,    but it was the likes of me who got the sodding site going in the first place.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

jmbooks wrote:

When listing in Antique and Collectable category, The drop down fiction and non fiction subject boxes dont appear to be working properly. With non fiction I can get the sub categories as far as M, but as before it will not let me scroll down.  I tried with Internet explorer today with same result.

Sorry for delay in responding, haven't been on here for a while 🙂

I had this problem as well, using google chrome. I relisted some books today  and could access all the categories. Will this continue? It is anybody's guess.

They seem to have done away with Autobiography/ Biography in Antiquarian & Collectable? 

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

IN BOOKS  non fiction there used to be several different sections in the arts section but now its just the arts to cover everything from art,   theatre,   etc etc etc,   useless useless useless.    Oh for the good old days when buyers could browse the category they were interested in and impulse bid on a book they fancied.    

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

The Autobiography  / biography section does appear to have gone AWOL, from the drop down box, which is still failing to go past M on firefox.

It really does make me want to stop listing here, with all the hoops that sellers have to go through just to have the "pleasure" of using the site, and ebay appear to be totally incapable of doing anything right and if it were to judge itself by its own standards of performance would have booted itself of its own site years ago.

This is doubly frustrated by being unable to complain to anybody that really has a clue as to what is going on or is prepared to do anything about it.

Earlier this month I agreed to cancel a sale because paypal would not process the buyers payment (he was a newish US buyer) as they thought the transaction possibly fraudulent!!! - The buyer was happy with this and apologised for his not being able to complete the deal. I now understand that I will get a defect despite the cancellation being at the buyers request and the problem stemming from Paypal's refusal to process the transaction. This is utter ******* madness.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Same here, the usual dog's dinner

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

they have the cheek to give us the defect system to contend with, at the same time as, within the antiquarian and collectible/able they give us approximate dating. how daft is that? my first edition is published in 1901 not 1900-1950. my fiction books are all (not surprisingly) fiction. my non-fiction on the other hand are not made up. i grow very tired of putting "non" in the fiction type of one and n/a in the other. they want an isbn number for my book published in 1953 and despite putting the authors name in the header they feel the need for me to do it again. i had a wonderful moment today when i clicked the link to item specifics because no visibility = no sales (right?) to find ALL the boxes filled and the non-fiction topic as history in yellow(?) i took that out and typed, as was apt, "history" problem sorted. aaaggghhhhh!!!!!!

phew i feel a tad better now

___________________________________________+_____________________________________

They're up there in their private jet, too fly to catch though
Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

tell me one thing, how could they have got this more wrong?

___________________+______________________________________

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

i think the only way to sell books on ebay now is via any category other than books. At least they have stopped the hundred free listings at 99p per month now, perhaps that will clear a bit of the millions of junk from the site.
Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

once the junk (books that i would use to keep warm in the winter) is gone there is still no visibility as cassini does not recognise a book which has possibly never been on ebay before. they have made a complete and utter mess of the item specifics and ruined ebay for books. which category do you recommend?

_______________________________+______________________________________________

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent