Ice Cold Books

Has anyone got any suggestions of Books about The Artic,, Antartic or Snow themed stories. I have read Winter Study by Nevada Barr and enjoyed. Bit thrillerish cold weatherish themed. im not talking about Guide Books im talking about stories. Someone may have read some good ones?.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Ice Cold Books

Italian Shoes by Henning Mankell (author of the Wallander novels) is about a man living on a tiny Swedish island surrounded by ice.

It is a fascinating story, very different to any other novels.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

Alistair Maclean has a few which I've read and enjoyed:

Ice Station Zebra, Bear Island and Night Without End

Running Blind by Desmond Bagley is a cracking "chase" thriller set across Iceland

The Snow Tiger isn't strictly polar but its still a good read. It's a thriller set in New Zealand dealing with the aftermath of an Avalanche hitting a small town.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

The Snow Tiger was Desmond Bagley as well

If you fancy classic polar horror theres At The Mountains of Madness by H P Lovecraft

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

Ohhhhh they sound ok,,, i know they have that one Abominable out but cant remember who its by at the moment!!.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

The Abominable is by Dan Simmons

I've not read it but I've read Song of Kali and Carrion Comfort by him and really enjoyed them.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow or Smilla's Sense of Snow (Danish: Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne) is a 1992 novel by Danish author Peter Høeg.

I copied and pasted that.  It's a wonderful film but I think the book is probably much better.  It's a thriller with heart and takes place in Greenland and Denmark.

For an appreciation of northern winters and the struggles of early pioneers in cold climates I recommend, The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

Ohhh thanks Mrs b i think ive seen the Film and it was GOOD!!!!.Woman Happy

And i want to give that book a go i have seen that one around yes. thats the sort of thing i like!!.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

See "Mountain Prospect" at Coppicbooks42. Memories of mountain climbing - lots of snow, glaciers, artic, photographs, maps - written while in a Japanese prison camp 1946.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

I don't know anything about this book but it may be of interest.

Dead in the Water

Series: 3 A Kate Shugak Investigation

by Dana Stabenow

Category: Crime, Mystery & Thrillers / Crime & Mysteries
Publisher: Head of Zeus
Publication date: 1 January 2013
Number of pages: 304

Description:
KATE SHUGAK is a native Aleut working as a private investigator in Alaska. She's 5 foot 1 inch tall, carries a scar that runs from ear to ear across her throat and owns half-wolf, half-husky dog named Mutt. Resourceful, strong-willed, defiant, Kate is tougher than your average heroine - and she needs to be to survive the worst the Alaskan wilds can throw at her. DEAD IN THE WATER: Last March, two men disappeared whilst loading supplies on a remote island in the Bering Sea: two million square miles of dark capricious ocean and tempestuous squalls. Their Skipper, Harry Gault, should have been fired, at the least. But six months later he's still aboard the Avilda, and the families of the missing men are making noises about corruption. With the crew backing his version of events, what the authorities need is an investigator who can survive the torturous conditions on an Alaskan fishing trawler. Someone like Kate Shugak...

What the papers say:
'For those who like series, mysteries, books with rich, idiosyncratic settings, engaging characters, Strong Women and reasonably hot sex on occasion ... let me recommend Dana Stabenow' Diana Gabaldon. 'A darkly compelling view of life in the Alaskan bush, well laced with lots of gallows humor. Her characters are very believable, the story lines are always suspenseful, and every now and then she lets a truly vile villain be eaten by a grizzley. Who could ask for more?' Sharon Penman. 'Stabenow is blessed with a rich prose style and a fine eye for detail. An outstanding series.' Washington Post. 'One of the strongest voices in crime fiction' Seattle Times. 'An antidote to sugary female sleuths: Kate Shugak, the Aleut private investigator' New York Times.

Author's Biography:
In 1991 Dana Stabenow, born in Alaska and raised on a 75-foot fishing trawler, was offered a three-book deal for the first of her Kate Shugak mysteries. In 1992, the first in the series, A Cold Day for Murder, received an Edgar Award from the Crime Writers of America.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Ice Cold Books

South:  The Endurance Expedition by Ernest Shackleton.  The book tells how, as World War One broke out across Europe, Ernest Shackleton's expedition to the South Pole became trapped by ice.  Their ship, the Endurance, became crushed, forcing Shackleton and his men to survive in - and escape from - one of the most hostile environments in the world.  They were forced to traverse glaciers, scale cliffs and cross treacherous seas in open boats, whilst enduring the brutal cold and their own hunger in a desperate bid to make it back to safety.  Somehow the men, through sheer determination and Shackleton's leadership, all made it to safety.  A good book to read if you like non-fiction books about the Arctic and Antarctic regions of the Earth.  Published by Penguin, ISBN:  978-0-241-96672-3.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent