Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird

It is sometimes hailed as 'The Great American Novel' [personally I think A Confederacy of Dunces takes that title].

It is a story of childhood, and how perspective changes as innocence is lost.

It is also about seeing things from the other person's perspective - 'you can't know a man 'til you have walked around a while in his skin' [I am quoting from memory.]

I think all sellers should familiarise themselves with it before coming on here and posting 'I've been scammed, my buyer has claimed INR, but I have proof of posting, why should I have to refund?'

If someone was trying to explain something to you, and said 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink', they are almost certainly trying to illustrate a point, rather than personally critiquing your equine persuasion skills.
Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Innocent black guy is killed due to living in racist era and area vs INR scenario - bit of an odd analogy, imo.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

That is part of the plot, but that is not all that happensl.

I was looking at the themes under the plot, rather than directly at the plot.

If someone was trying to explain something to you, and said 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink', they are almost certainly trying to illustrate a point, rather than personally critiquing your equine persuasion skills.
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you, Alex, for starting a new, interesting, thread.

"It is sometimes hailed as 'The Great American Novel'"  I would regard is as A great American Novel rather than THE one.

"It is a story of childhood, and how perspective changes as innocence is lost."  It reflects the childhood of Harper Lee and Truman Capote but, although their perspectives may change, I read no loss of innocence.

"It is also about seeing things from the other person's perspective."  Yes, this is true of so many novels.

"I think all sellers should familiarise themselves with it before coming on here and posting 'I've been scammed, my buyer has claimed INR, but I have proof of posting, why should I have to refund?'"  I'm not sure what this has to do with Harper Lee's book.

"'Spamming truisms since 1979'"    You need to explain that, I don't understand it.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I would not call "Mocking Bird " the great American Novel , I prefer  "Great Gatsby ", "Catcher in the Rye " and "Huckleberry Finn " as contenders for example

I think what Op is alluding to is that time spent reading great woirks of literature , gives one an insight into the Human condtion , and therefore , use some understanding , whilst dealing with ebays "problems "  

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

The `great American novel` IMHO is The grapes of wrath, its got the lot.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

yes i liked the grapes of wrath,  and the film till the end when they altered it too much.   did not like catcher in the rye.   

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

I agree with 'The Grapes of Wrath' and anything else by Steinbeck.

IMO,  the genius of Harper Lee though, was how well she wrote using the words and mind of a child. Very few people can do that without it sounding like a children's book.

Esther Freud also does it well.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

I've heard that this book is just as dark & depressing a read as what War & Peace is 😞
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent