Did I miss something?

I've just noticed I am being charged only 26p for a listing rather than the normal 30p

Is this due to a change in VAT treatment? and does this affect me if Im not registered for VAT,

Or is it just another **bleep** up?

ebay bombard you with loads of nonsense, but then seem to make changes that actually affect you without a word, I cant remeber seeing anything about this reduction.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Did I miss something?

Same here--noticed late yesterday--nothing notified !!

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/201412.shtml#2014-12-30092502

Business sellers that are VAT reg will see no change - they currently pay fees without VAT, and that will stay the same.

Private sellers will see no change - the VAT on their fees will be changing from 15% (Luxembourg) to 20% (UK rate), but ebay have decided to sallow the increase ... at the moment! (I feel it will be addressed in the next Seller update!).

But if you are a business seller who is not VAT reg - your fees will go up 😞

You will now see your fees less the 15% (Lux) VAT that was added to them (hence the reason they look lower) - but at the end of the invoice, ebay will add 20% VAT (UK rate), so the total will be a little higher than it was.

If you pay your invoice on 15th of the month, make sure you check that they have only charged the higher 20% only on transactions from 1 Jan. Anything from Dec should still be at 15%.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

Thank you B for your thorough reply much appreciated. Apologies for the tardiness of my response, I have only just come back from an another enforced silence (ban) !!

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

Many thanks for the concise explanation--greatly appreciated !!

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

jim 😞  sorry to hear that (that you were away, not that you're back!)

jim & silver

No problem - it's something that has annoyed me greatly, so I have been following postas about it. My invoice date is 15th, it hasn't happened yet, probably tomorrow, but I'll come back and let you know if my VAT was charged correctly/all at 20%/not at all.

(I'm guessing it will be the middle option!)

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

Quick update as prmised.

My invoice is in - and just to confirm I am a Registered Business Seller, but not VAT reg - and this is what it says:

VAT Identification Number
Self-certified business seller
VAT Status: Exempt

And there is NO VAT added to the invoice!

No, whether ebay are paying this VAT (which is due) or not is another matter 😞

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

I am awaiting a phone call back from CS on this point myself.

Ebay have somehow automatically classed me as exempt or 'VAT Status Approved' in their jargon. Even though I am not VAT registered and haven't entered a VAT number.

This is causing me some concern as in the eys of the VATman I will be liable for the non payment of VAT on the fees and I am going to argue with ebay that it is their fault and they should pay.

My guess is that ebay have cocked up here BIG TIME and have made ALL business sellers exempt from VAT on fees irrespective of whether they are VAT registered or not.

I phoned ebay CS yesterday (overseas) and to be fair to the girl who answered she didn't have a clue about UK VAT. But I stressed the acute importance or having ones VAT status correct as the VATMan is the last person you want to upset in business. She repeatedly assured me that somebody would phone me within 24 hours (now 27hrs as I type). I'm going to phone again monday and go absolutely ballistic with ebay if they dont get this sorted out,. I haven't got time to waste in sorting out their errors and I am very very tempted to quit the site all together as my patience with their arrogant attitude towards sellers has all but gone.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

Did you ever get this sorted out as i find myself in exactly the same position today and it is confusing the hell out of me. In my settings it also says i am "VAT exempt on ebay fees" and VAT staus approved, even though i am not VAT registered and have never given them any VAT numbers.

Trying to get an answer on this seems impossible so i am hoping this old thread and be revived in an attempt to get some clarity.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Did I miss something?

Did you get an answer? I'm in exactly the same boat! My settings say the same thing but I am not VAT registered.

Help...

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent