DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

Chris, you have mail
Message 21 of 1,680
See Most Recent

lidolil
Hi! Just found this site and it is very interesting. Can anyone advise me - I have a brand new copy (still in bag it was bought in including original receipt of a 1990 edition of Memento Mori The Flats at Quarry Hill by Peter Mitchell. I know it is valuable but don't know how to go about selling it. Any ideas? Would be grateful for advice.
Message 22 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi lidolil,
This was the only copy I could find on the net: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/1870071484/ref=lp_g_1//002-3476869-9986421?condition=all

Not sure what to suggest in ways of starting price, maybe 99p with a reserve of £100. Make sure you use lots of locat topographical keyword in your title and auction.
I'm assuming its non-fiction, so make sure you get the right category when listing, maybe topography/local interest, though without more details couldn't be precise.
Hope this is of some help
Chris
Message 23 of 1,680
See Most Recent

lidolil

A Google search brought up another copy for sale in the UK at £30.

I believe this book may be ebayable, requiring clever use of keywords. I would suggest Architecture, Modernist, Corbusier(?), Leeds etc.

Message 24 of 1,680
See Most Recent

lidolil
Thanks for the useful comments. I will probably have a go on eBay with a reserve as suggested, Look out for it!
Message 25 of 1,680
See Most Recent

toshtishtash
Hiya:-D
Here is a question for you!

My Mum recently sold a copy of Dan Browns the Da Vinci Code (It was a first edition, hardback copy....) She didnt realise what 1st Edition actually meant and sold it for £24.50...

The man that gave it to her rang her a few days later to tell her to keep hold of it (as he knew she had an Ebay addiction... lol) as it was worth a lot of money... now he said in the region of £5,000... since then, someone has told me that no, its not worth quite that much but it is worth around £800.

My mum is extremely gutted... would you happen to know how much it would have been worth? And was the person who bought it rubbing his hands together in glee? :-) Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
30th April!!
Message 26 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Both the Doubleday(US) and Bantam (UK) first editions are fetching £100-200. BUT they have to be first printings. Later printings of the first edition are worth £10 - £20.
Message 27 of 1,680
See Most Recent

toshtishtash
Thats good then, maybe she wont feel so bad now! Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
30th April!!
Message 28 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if it is etiquette to ask this, but here goes nothing.... lol

We have come across an 1889 hard cover book of "Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" by Lewis Carroll.

It has the words "fifteenth thousand" just before the publisher - London. MacMillan & Co. and at the top in brackets it has (People's Edition) on top of the title.

I searched on ABE, and found that in the true first edition, line 2 of "Jabberwocky" on page 21 the original reads "wade" for "wabe". Ours says "wabe".

My question is........would this copy be of any value?

Thanks

Molly
Message 29 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Corson of the JC, Clarence E Mulford, Hodder & stoughton Yellow Jacket (PB) 1932
The Orpan, Clarence E Mulford, Hodder & stoughton Yellow Jacket (PB), no date stated but I assume similar to the above.
Any help regarding price would be great, my searches have drawn a blank.
Chris
Message 30 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Molly,

Theres a few 'fifteenth thousand' editions for sale on this list, do any of them match yours?

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/RefineRare.fcgi?id=050709052648464424

Chris
Message 31 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi Chris,

Thank you SO much! I did call up addall, but got so confused. You have given me the link to exactly what we have.

Much appreciated.:-x

Molly
Message 32 of 1,680
See Most Recent

I wouldn't have thought so. 'The People's Edition' is a Victorian 'Everyman' and had massive printing runs. But I may be wrong:-)

Loves Tom
Message 33 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Ohhhh 😞

I did see one that was listed there under People's Edition, that seemed to match ours though Jess.

It is selling for $150 US, so hopefully, we may get something for it...?:|

Thanks for your help too Jess....appreciate it!

Molly
Message 34 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Always a pleasure...
Message 35 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Let us know how it goes....:-)

Loves Tom
Message 36 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cthodgson

Hi, Chris.
Clarence E Mulford (1883 -1956) was of course best known for his Hopalong Cassidy books.

A complete bibliography is shown
here

The two books you have were written in 1927 amd 1908, so they are quite late editions. There are plenty on Addall, but not many p/b's. Looking at comparative values, I would say they are not worth more than £4-£5 each, but what do I know?

Paul

Message 37 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Cheers Paul,
I will probably put them on at £2.99 and see what happens.....
Maybe better on the .com site.
Chris
Message 38 of 1,680
See Most Recent

johnc9005
hi all
just a quick question,i've a complete set of the mallorean by david eddings.all uk firsts+all in fine condition,but no idea what there worth!!

cheers!!
Message 39 of 1,680
See Most Recent

johnc9005

The best guide to values I know is

http://used.addall.com/

but always remember that the books listed here are unsold at the price quoted, and don't be fooled by the high prices at the top of the page. Thay are just dreaming. About 2/3 of the way down the page is more realistic.

Paul

Message 40 of 1,680
See Most Recent