Seller Central
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

Buying from US - taxes and import duties?

I accepted an offer to purchase a posted from the US at $110 plus postage. When going to pay there is a tax of $22 - 20%. I asked the seller about it and he says it's an eBay added tax... so I assume this is VAT..? Does this mean I won't get charged ...

I wonder when ebay will ask for national insurance numbers

In light of all this HMRC data collection ( which I'm a massive fan of, I pay my taxes ) I wonder when eBay will send out messages to accounts asking for N.I numbers? Saw an article earlier that states by 1st Jan next year, the sooner the better imo

User avatar by Contributor
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos

EBAY IS A SCAM - DO NOT SELL FROM HERE

Do not sell your items here.I am having to post this on my partners account as conveniently eBay has indefinitely suspended my account. Please if you was like me an honest customer that had a hobby/ passion for selling luxurious items as a little sid...

• 39 replies
  • 6 kudos

Selling my own items I've had years and already made over £1500 now worried about HMRC?

With all the hype surrounding the announcement about ebay, vinted air BnB etc.... I took the plunge at the end of december and decided to sell alot of my old Hornby Models, some are in new condition and wanted to make a bit of extra money. To my surp...

HMRC data sharing

Can someone confirm when they have stated "starting January 1st 2024" they will being to share all data with HMRC does that mean that all sales starting from Jan 1st 2024 will be shared in the new format? I know historically that they have shared dat...

Resolved! Government tax changes - How do I prove it doesn't apply?

It is my understanding that I shouldn't have to pay tax on my ebay sales. Most of the things I sell are my own possessions that I'm clearing out, some of which would be considered collectible items. If I have a collectible that I kept in good conditi...

• 20 replies
  • 0 kudos

Private seller

Hi this is my first post. So I'm selling a few items I no longer need mainly tools as auctions but now my bidders are saying there going to be charged 20 vat is this normal because I live in the UK so do my bidders . I've read a few posts saying ther...

Are your taxes in order? eBay now sending sales data to HMRC

From 1st January 2024 eBay will be legally required to give all sales data to HMRC, so business sellers not paying taxes and/or masquerading as private sellers on eBay will soon be a thing of the past Plus it will be interesting for all the sellers t...

Resolved! Item sold through GSP - buyer asking for IOSS number to go on parcel.

Only been selling on ebay for about 5 months and have sold quite a few items through GSP without issue. Just had someone from Portgual buy an item and has asked me to mention the IOSS number on the parcel so that the Portugese authorities can see VAT...

HMRC VAT - Second Hand Margin Scheme

Hi, I believe I will be writing for many other sellers concerns here. I have recently become a business (hooray!) However, with that comes the responsibility of inevitably paying VAT once you approach £85,000 in sales. My question is, given HMRC's ru...

If I sell collectibles from my collection and buy more with the money am I still liable for tax?

Hi eBay community peeps. My collection is constantly evolving. I buy something, then I see something else I love and buy that but I have to sell other things to make space. Some things I do buy when I see them cheap for my collection so when I sell i...

Sellers backing out over VAT charges/Sale refund

Been trying to sell a motorbike on ebay in the UK only to be told by the buyer they were going to be charged the 20% VAT on the sale so they backed out, why is ebay charging this on a private UK sale?, and can i get a sale refund because of this char...

User avatar by Member
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos

VAT ebay sales new rules

Hello, I am a private seller. I am slowly selling a railway model collection that was left to me by a friend who died.The items are used, but the values sold are over £ 1000 a year. Does this put me under the category of those who need to declare the...

Got selling related questions? Start here:
Most Helpful Authors