fkafka1883
Community Member

Online petition - Say no to Ebay FVF on P & P!

Hello all.

I know like a lot of sellers on here we are all not happy with Ebay and their new FVF on postage.

I've written up a quick online petition as I couldn't see any other that has been created yet.
I'm hoping of getting enough signatures to make Ebay.co.uk change their minds. A small hope, I know. But it is worth a try at least.

From tomorrow, Wednesday the 7th August, we have four weeks till this new FVF comes into effect.
I ask anyone who doesn't agree with this change to head over to this link and sign the petition, and spread the word!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/say-no-to-ebay-fvf-on-p-p/

I'll be posting this on a few boards to get maximum exposure.

Please use plain text.
goldfishfortea
Community Member

Re: Online petition - Say no to Ebay FVF on P & P!

in reply to fkafka1883

you are wasting your time. no petition on here has ever got anywhere and never will.

Ebay make the rules

Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to goldfishfortea

Given that every one of the top threads on this board concern this subject, I wouldn't think anyone has anything to lose by signing it though.  

Please use plain text.
scunnerfactor
Community Member

in reply to lego-lady

Sellers and buyers will vote with their feet. 

When free P&P was enforced in certain categories a few years ago, listings dropped dramatically and ebay had to backtrack and drop the scheme.

I know that I probably won't list come the 4th as a seller, and I will think twice before buying here as I know prices will be more expensive.

Please use plain text.
jambuttyminer
Community Member

in reply to scunnerfactor

If the idea is to cut down on sellers using cheap prices with high postage then they could have used the same model as on .com and charged on first domestic postage.

Or maybe it really is to get rid of small sellers

Please use plain text.
ed_blackadder_1
Community Member

in reply to jambuttyminer

There are so many posts on this this morning that perhaps the moderators could set up a board just for this.  I only had the email yesterday like others I am sure, but it has been on the boards for ages.  Most of us will have to re think how and what we list and some who overcharge on postage may become a little more realistic on what they charge.  We all know big business wants blood from the little people so maybe its time the little people stood up for themselves.

Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to fkafka1883

Its a good idea to try and see what becomes of a petition page.

The trouble is, though, is that your explanation on the petition is too long and complicated for people to bother reading....so they will just not bother.

I was going to sign it, got drawn into long explanations and hit the back button......and I know what youre asking of me.

You need to make it short, sharp and sweet.

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to scunnerfactor

scunnerfactor wrote:

When free P&P was enforced in certain categories a few years ago, listings dropped dramatically and ebay had to backtrack and drop the scheme.

I have to disagree - the main reason it was dropped was because ebay couldn't/wouldn't police it properly - so some sellers were listing a comic for a few pence using the postage option as 'freight'. Those of us that were listing as we should were annoyed because it made our items look expensive against the 1p + freight listings so the cheats were prospering - as sadly, is often the case :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to ed_blackadder_1

ed_blackadder_1 wrote:

There are so many posts on this this morning that perhaps the moderators could set up a board just for this.  

There is one - opened when it was first announced, under the badly misnamed 'Business Seller Update':

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-News-Autumn-2013/bd-p/newsautumn13

Please use plain text.
zaranvalesasterix
Community Member

in reply to fkafka1883

I doubt if ebay will take any notice of that, they are driven purely by greed. The best petition anyone could send them is to take a weeks holiday starting on 4th September

Please use plain text.
calamityjaynne
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

r1j2e3s4j5 wrote:

Its a good idea to try and see what becomes of a petition page.

The trouble is, though, is that your explanation on the petition is too long and complicated for people to bother reading....so they will just not bother.

I was going to sign it, got drawn into long explanations and hit the back button......and I know what youre asking of me.

You need to make it short, sharp and sweet.

I took the time to read in full before adding my signature, and believe me, I'm a slow reader.

Not that I think it will do much good, the only thing that *might* have any effect is if as many people as possibly, both sellers and buyers take a break from ebay the first week in September (as suggested above) that's probably not viable for those sellers that rely on ebay for their living.

'I have kleptomania.
But when it gets bad, I take something for it.
Please use plain text.
ed_blackadder_1
Community Member

in reply to booksandpatterns

Thanks books, I wouldn't have thought of looking there and obviously none of the other posters have either, the board is getting clogged up with this and everyone seems to be repeating themselves now including me.

Please use plain text.
sloth43
Community Member

in reply to fkafka1883

Well, I'm signing it- it takes a minute and can't hurt.

Please use plain text.
fastcakes
Community Member

in reply to sloth43

signed fwiw

Any way of finding out the number who have signed?

Please use plain text.
calamityjaynne
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to fastcakes

Near the top are 3 tabs, middle one says 'Signatures' click on it.

Currently at 65

edit - I'm having a Picard moment, there are 4 tabs

'I have kleptomania.
But when it gets bad, I take something for it.
Please use plain text.
millielilac
Community Member

in reply to fkafka1883
It is shameful.......but the biggest losers will be the buyers.

All sellers need to add the fees onto their listings and wherever possible will go down the so called " free" postage route.

It will of course cause problems for traders of 99p items, those who post internationally with high postage costs and for sellers who sell multiple items with combined postage..

Not certain that a petition will be taken note of ......many sellers will not even be aware of the changes until they hit home as they dont actually read the messages that eBay put out.

Of course the plus points are that it will no longer be possible to postage gouge and of course as it will be advantageous for sellers to offer " free "( inclusive postage ) it will also eliminate the moaning minnies who claim they have been overcharged on postage.

Of course in reality most buyers will probably now be overcharged on postage as sellers will pass on the 10% levy to them .....
Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to millielilac

Signed, FWIW.

Please use plain text.
fkafka1883
Community Member

in reply to r1j2e3s4j5

In reply to post 7 from r1j2e3s4j5.

I think you're right here. I did consider just doing a short paragraph to explain what the petition is for, as my thinking was that anyone who wanted to sign would already know all about the new FVF. But, there is still a lot of users who don't read the message boards and don't read the announcements from Ebay so will not know about the change untill it comes in on the 4th. Thats why I wrote all what I did.

I think I'll add a short explanation right at the top so its the first thing anyone sees and have something like, "If you'd like more information about the proposed FVF change, please continue reading. If not, and you'd like to sign, please scroll right down to the bottom"

I'm also thinking it might be worth while adding for and against points as I've seen a lot of that on the boards.

If anyones has any such points, reply here and I'll add them to the petition page.

Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to fkafka1883

I'd leave it if I were you - if you amend it after it's been signed by some people, you negate that portion of it surely?

Please use plain text.
fkafka1883
Community Member

in reply to lego-lady

Ahh, I do see what you mean. I have made some changes, mainly to the text layout and not what the petition is for as a whole.

There is a blog section, which you can click on the second tab at the top of the page. I'll add things there in the future, for & against arguments for example.

Many thanks for the signature though. Up to 110 at the moment.

Please use plain text.