ladylawson69
Community Member

Ebay charges on postage.

Re the proposed ebay charges on postage.  Grossly unfair.  I already know that I will have to consider so much in a decision to sell certain items.  For example - a heavy pair of shoes - partly worn but really good condition. I would not want to charge much - I am encouraged to ensure that I use recorded mail - on a pair of men's shoes this is mostly always £9.50 making another 95p fees to ebay.  If the shoes are sold at £5 - not really worth it - I would gather unwanted items like this and get £3 or £2 at a boot sale that I do once yearly to get rid of stuff.  I agree that ebay will encourage higher price items - but not to (as they patronisingly declare) experiment with higher priced items, but that listing cheap items which have costly postage will not be worth it.  We will be charged twice over for postage - way way way against my principles.  Not nice and maybe I will just consider that it's just not worth bothering any more. 

Please use plain text.
elysischen
Community Member

Re: Ebay charges on postage.

in reply to ladylawson69
It is indeed not worth bothering. eBay is no longer a viable place for private sellers like you and me hoping to make a small earning on a second hand item. They don't care about us and most likely want us out of the picture completely. One thing's for sure - it's working.

I have no idea where or how to even set up a car boot sale, so that option is out of the window.
Please use plain text.
paulfaw
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

totally agree that ebay is being grossly unfair charging fees on combined total inc. postage, i will need to consider wheather to sell an item now due to the postage weight and costs (postage has also just been revised and increased at the poist office,)  or i may need to consider a cheaper site to advertise, as Ebay is becoming too expensive for a bit of a selling hobby in my spare time

Please use plain text.
howybak
Community Member

in reply to paulfaw

can ebay add fees for  postage 

does postage have anything to do with them ?

Please use plain text.
towelposter
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

ladylawson69 wrote:

Re the proposed ebay charges on postage.  Grossly unfair.  I already know that I will have to consider so much in a decision to sell certain items.  For example - a heavy pair of shoes - partly worn but really good condition. I would not want to charge much - I am encouraged to ensure that I use recorded mail - on a pair of men's shoes this is mostly always £9.50 making another 95p fees to ebay.  If the shoes are sold at £5 - not really worth it - I would gather unwanted items like this and get £3 or £2 at a boot sale that I do once yearly to get rid of stuff.  I agree that ebay will encourage higher price items - but not to (as they patronisingly declare) experiment with higher priced items, but that listing cheap items which have costly postage will not be worth it.  We will be charged twice over for postage - way way way against my principles.  Not nice and maybe I will just consider that it's just not worth bothering any more. 

Not wishing to insult you, but any seller who pays £9.50 to post a pair of shoes is a fool, as there are far cheaper alternatives around.

100% pure Egyptian Cotton
Please use plain text.
ladylawson69
Community Member

in reply to towelposter

I agree - but other facilities are not convenient for me.  I manage to get to the Post Office at the end of the day just before it closes.  Everyone has their own reasons for what they do.  This has been a scenario in the past with a brand name shoe and I wanted to start selling them at a low price etc. etc. etc.  My protest here was against the principle of charging on postage and this was a good example.  Off the beaten track a bit eh?

Please use plain text.
ladylawson69
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

Quite happy until now as the buyer pays the postage.  NOT HAPPY NOW.  Seemples. 

Not happy now as the seller is now being penalised for packing goods well and using recorded postage OR ANY OTHER METHOD - even 1p charged by ebay off postage paid by the buyer is WRONG.

Please use plain text.
ladylawson69
Community Member

in reply to towelposter

Oh - I have just noticed - how would you be insulting me - My buyers pay the postage cost - is that not how it has always worked - I don't do free postage - heaven forbid.  So I don't see that you have to be sorry as I don't actually pay this postage - but I do resent ebay taking a cut off this postage.

Please use plain text.
ed_blackadder_1
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

Maybe they have done this to stop people overcharging on postage, maybe it would make a seller think twice before charging £5.00 for something that cost £2.60 actual postage.  (not saying thats what you do)  just playing devils advocate. 

Whilst it does annoy me a little, I do have the choice not to sell on Ebay, It does make you think when you list as there are all the charges is it really worth selling something for 99p plus £3.00 postage, 39p to ebay and £3.00 for post and Paypal fees what does that leave 50p ish, really not worth it unless you sell in large volumes.  I for one shall only sell things I can actually make any money out of, and a lot of things will end up going to charity shops.

Please use plain text.
ladylawson69
Community Member

in reply to ed_blackadder_1

Exactly how I feel and exactly my point.  I do think that those that overcharge postage may have shot things in the foot a bit too - but ebay will only now encourage overcharging as folks will add those extra charges back onto the buyer most likely.  I will have to only sell things that work out okay after working out postage costs and fees etc. I have noticed since the postage cost hike up in April that the cheap and cheerfuls that I list do not sell.  Charity shops do get more of my unwanteds though - so that's good in any case.  Best Wishes

Please use plain text.
ed_blackadder_1
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

When I started doing Ebay I sold a few things to buy a few things, no problems no worries, then I got in to it and had a few good clearouts, then I had to worry about feedback and fees, would a buyer like it, would they think the postage too much (even though I only ever charge stamp price and refund if charged too much) would they like my comms, did I post it quick enough. how much do Paypal take, how much are the fees, how much are the FVF fees.  I have had a few headaches I am a small seller selling my own stuff not a business, if I want stress I go to work.

I think I shall start being selective in what I sell, things I know will sell and make me a little money and the rest I will use Car Boots again and the local paper.

I am afraid life is too short to worry about a hobby if Ebay want to get rid of the little seller then he is going the right way about it, buyers reading this will now assume that sellers are adding money to cover their fees and might not buy.

Time for a lie down I think thanks EBAY

Please use plain text.
towelposter
Community Member

A lot of the overcharging is where sellers are saying to their buyers "I don't trust you" and charge for recorded delivery on 99p items.  Why pay £1.10 insurance to safeguard 99p?

You are covered against lost items up to £20 by getting a free CoP from the Post Office.  In some ways you are better protected without RD.  Occasionally you may end up refunding on an RD item that has been delayed but you can't claim anything back from RM because they have proof that it was delivered.  Without the RD you would be able to claim every time.

Please use plain text.
ed_blackadder_1
Community Member

in reply to towelposter

Quite agree towell I dont buy things recorded delivery if they are only cheap, makes a 99p item expensive,  noticed a lovely pair of curtains the other day 99p start price.  £50. postage, guess they will have to think again on their postage pricing, not just one all their listings were the same, needless to say I moved on swiftly.  People were buying but they only went for 99p or £1.04, seller pays 10p fees, now they will have to pay £5.10 fees. 

Please use plain text.
towelposter
Community Member

ed_blackadder_1 wrote:

Quite agree towell I dont buy things recorded delivery if they are only cheap, makes a 99p item expensive,  noticed a lovely pair of curtains the other day 99p start price.  £50. postage, guess they will have to think again on their postage pricing, not just one all their listings were the same, needless to say I moved on swiftly.  People were buying but they only went for 99p or £1.04, seller pays 10p fees, now they will have to pay £5.10 fees. 

I hope you reported their listings for fee avoidance as the new charges don't come in for another month.

Please use plain text.
bigginger72
Community Member

in reply to ladylawson69

the thing is do we put the charges on top of the postage price ? ie- £6.80 for a £6 postage charge if we dont put the charge on then obviousle the buyer isnt covering the postage charge

Please use plain text.
harduppensioner
Community Member

in reply to bigginger72

Hi - up to you how you handle it but remember some buyers mark down if charged more than actual postage cost.

Please use plain text.
benedict1066
Community Member

in reply to bigginger72

If the item is BIN you can add the extra to the BIN price - as said above, if you add it to the postage price you could get marked down - and it's a bit never-ending as you are then charged on the increased postage price, so you add a bit more and you're charged on that, etc. !

With an auction, you can safeguard yourself a bit by adding the extra to the start price, but this only covers you if the item sells for JUST the start price - when you get bids the item sells for what it would have anyway, so you could consider you will make a bit less as the fee will come from that final price......

Please use plain text.
angelah1847
Community Member

in reply to bigginger72

bigginger72 wrote:

the thing is do we put the charges on top of the postage price ? ie- £6.80 for a £6 postage charge if we dont put the charge on then obviousle the buyer isnt covering the postage charge

If you add the 10% fee to the postage charge you will then be charged 10% on the increased amount......

Cover all fees in your item price and then just put the actual stamp price in the postage field.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thumbs Up for Stephen Sutton - What An Inspiration :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.