Highlighted
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Do I need to get proof of postage (is it worth it) if the item I send is signed/tracked?

Hi
Ok so I sold an item and buyer selected 2nd class signed for, which is a trackable service.
Now my question is do I need to get proof of postage receipt from post office, if the postage is tracked/signed. Because I've seen some sellers say in some seller forums in eBay that it was pointless for them to have proof of postage receipt, if the buyer says they haven't received item- but what I remember in most cases is that they all used standard postage and not signed/trackable (I think).
But I'm not sure about signed for post. Does the trackability of the item (tracking number + delivery status) outweigh the proof of postage receipt?

So for e.g. If a buyer says that they have not received but tracking shows it's been delivered then do I still need to give a refund. And if they say they haven't received, and tracking also shows it's not been delivered/is lost, then does RM compensate. Item was worth £30 (exc postage).

Thanks
Community Member

Re: Do I need to get proof of postage (is it worth it) if the item I send is signed/tracked?

[ Edited ]
in reply to happyshopper789

You either get a proof of postage receipt or a receipt featuring the tracking number for your signed for service, you don't get two receipts.

For an item with a value of £30 I would send Signed For and get a tracking number.

Community Member

Re: Do I need to get proof of postage (is it worth it) if the item I send is signed/tracked?

in reply to *vyolla*

The recepit for your signed for service IS your proof of posting.

Community Member

Yes, but do I need a receipt from the post office at all? I know the receipt will feature the tracking number. But if I use eBay postage label services, print out the postage label is the receipt needed at all. As that way it'll be in eBay's system that I have used their postage label provided, and so the tracking number will automatically get uploaded once label is printed out (and item marked as dispatched). As the postage label I print out using eBay's postage label service features both the buyers address and the tracking number.
Community Member

Basically, for item not received cases, is a receipt from the post office (to show I have been to the post office and given the parcel in) needed? Even if I have used a label printed from eBay's postage label service that has all details on it.
Community Member

I think even if you use a label from eBay you'll still get the receipt at the post office as usual. Iirc you're just paying eBay for the postage instead of the post office!
Community Member

happyshopper789 wrote:
Basically, for item not received cases, is a receipt from the post office (to show I have been to the post office and given the parcel in) needed? Even if I have used a label printed from eBay's postage label service that has all details on it.

You need a post office receipt.

Printing a label doesn't prove that the item has been sent, else any seller can print a label and still keep the item.

Community Member

If the label (printed via eBay) has a tracking number/is signed for/tracked post, and by checking the tracking, it shows that the item has been sent (and is/was in so and so location, and dropped off at so and so post office)then doesn't that prove the items been sent.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

You need a Proof of Posting receipt from the PO.  They're free. That way you'll have absolute proof that an item has indeed been shipped (tracking isn't always updated by the carrier as it should be, especially if a package is lost or stolen en route).  You will need it if you have to lodge  a claim for loss or damage with Royal Mail. Also, such a receipt is the only thing PayPal (and other payment providers) will accept in the event of an Unauthorised Account Use claim.  You need to keep your POPs for 13 months in the event of such a claim.  For non-delivery claims, you will need Proof of Delivery, ie. a tracking number which shows delivery.

Community Member

in reply to rusticrye
Ok thanks. That's cleared it up abit.
Community Member

The proof of postage is free.  Your the eBay sales page disappears after 60 days;  off the site after 90 days.  It stays on your PayPal history for quite a long time (not sure how long).  PayPal will only accept proof of delivery which is why you should keep them for min. 12 months in case buyer makes a claim through their bank.

Also uploading the number onto your sales page 'should' prevent a buyer stating late delivery when it wasn't.  Saving PoPs in a cheap concertina file with monthly sections means you can save and forget about them - unless needed.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kyanyama

kyanyama wrote:

The proof of postage is free.  Your the eBay sales page disappears after 60 days;  off the site after 90 days.  It stays on your PayPal history for quite a long time (not sure how long).  PayPal will only accept proof of delivery which is why you should keep them for min. 12 months in case buyer makes a claim through their bank.

Also uploading the number onto your sales page 'should' prevent a buyer stating late delivery when it wasn't.  Saving PoPs in a cheap concertina file with monthly sections means you can save and forget about them - unless needed.

Proof of Delivery is only required for non-receipt claims.  Unauthorised Account Use claims only require Proof of Postage.