eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Get inspired!
irn-bru-kid
Community Member

ebay charging postage fees

this postage fee happened because greedy sellers charged over the odds for post and packing - i tried to buy something local which i wanted to collect but they wouldnt let me because they wanted profit on postage etc

Please use plain text.
ivy-rose02
Community Member

Re: ebay charging postage fees

in reply to irn-bru-kid

I dissagree with you the odd seller that was charging over the odds for postage usually did not last for long, ebay just found it`s excape goat the perfect excuse for charging 10% of p&p and remind us that it is for the good of all of us better look at the bigger picture.

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to irn-bru-kid

irn-bru-kid wrote:

this postage fee happened because greedy sellers charged over the odds for post and packing - i tried to buy something local which i wanted to collect but they wouldnt let me because they wanted profit on postage etc

Many sellers list with P&P because they simply don't want strangers at their house. Did they actually say they "wanted to profit from postage etc" or is this your assumption?

Like the previous poster said, the new ebay fee is purely a money making exercise. Nothing more, nothing less

Please use plain text.
irn-bru-kid
Community Member

in reply to ivy-rose02

did you do your homework as average postage about £5 so you get charged 50p which aint much if you are not chasing a profit - the only ones really moaning are the sellers wanting profit - my items get listed for 99p so no listing fee and because i own the goods every penny is a bonus - people on here have mini businesses and dont declare them making them tax dodgers - but they are too stupid to realise some day the goverment will catch up on them as its all down to greed 

Please use plain text.
ivy-rose02
Community Member

in reply to irn-bru-kid

Lets agree to dissagree, each buyer on ebay has the freedom of choice you don`t like the p&p don`t deal with the seller simple - haggling with a seller that does not offer collection should not be done and it is againts ebay policy, buyers need to respect the terms and conditions of a listing.

quote homerjae1

Many sellers list with P&P because they simply don't want strangers at their house. Did they actually say they "wanted to profit from postage etc" or is this your assumption?

-----------------------

Good point

Your items get listed for 99p - if they sell for 99p what profit do you make? and is it worth the effort with ebay`s new cassiny search engine that hides from view certain listings you might just end up selling at 99p  

Tax doggers! I am not the one to judge but the big companies like ebay, Amazon that do not pay their taxes are the real offenders.

Anyway you seam determined to think that sellers are greedy well people want to make money by selling on ebay.

Please use plain text.
2013nexium
Community Member

in reply to irn-bru-kid

There are some greedy sellers,true,but the real reason lies with Ebay trying even harder to screw sellers,because of dwindling Ebay members, It is easy for buyers to buy on Ebay, but extremely difficult trying to sell, and with all the fees and restrictings,scams etc,a lot of sellers are turning to other sites.

Please use plain text.
tallpaulr
Community Member

in reply to 2013nexium

i am out of pocket because i charge the actual postage - now i find i've been paying 10% on my postage for the last 3 week.s

ebay have been telling us not make money out of postage for years - now the are doing it themselves.

all they had to do was put a cap/limit on whats considered reasonable postage - then charge a % fee on anything thats charged for postage over and above that.

costs me £4.70 to post a dvd to Australia - so i charge £4.70. Why should ebay get 47p of that? Why?

should i put the cost up to £5.25 to allow for there greedy 10%?

its disgusting - notice that they announced it quietly as well - i get messages sent to my inbox to tell me that they're gonna be changing the pixel requirements for photos, but something like the 10% fee on postage wasnt important enought to go into my ebay inbox.

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to tallpaulr

tallpaulr wrote:

i am out of pocket because i charge the actual postage - now i find i've been paying 10% on my postage for the last 3 week.s

ebay have been telling us not make money out of postage for years - now the are doing it themselves 

I think you'll find it's what certain posters, not eBay, have been telling you for years. As far a eBay is concerned, it has always been permitted to include an amount in the P&P for packaging, and also a dispatch fee to cover your time and any other expenses directly related to arranging shipment.

You choose to run at a loss by only charging for the stamp, possibly in an attempt to safeguard your DSR's, which is fine. It's folly though to expect the same from eBay - they have no such incentive to keep their prices in check and will do everything they can to maximise their profit

Please use plain text.
mach_gr
Community Member

in reply to homerjae2

as a private seller I have to say that personally I believe the fees both Ebay and PayPal charge on sales are now getting excessive.

Please use plain text.
nj-ink
Community Member

in reply to mach_gr

I said a few months ago that ebays next move would be to charge a buyers fee.

Which is what they have done.

But rather than upset the buyers they have simply aded it to the sellers postage.

Who in turn has had to pass it on to the buyer.

So ebay are craftily charging the buyers.

Nothing at all to do with greedy sellers that is just a cover story from ebay

Please use plain text.
25.little.miss
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to irn-bru-kid

This is rubbish! I list my items for 99p to generate interest in them and reach out to many buyers, I charge what it actually costs me for postage, if and some do my item sells for 99p ebay will charge me 10p for that they are now (and dont recall being informed or asked to sign up to new terms and conditions) charging 10% on postage fees to, because I didnt know this my 99p was eaten into even more by 26p as that was 10% of the £2.60 for a small parcel so I am now down to 63p - i the buyer pays by paypal (an ebay owned company) you are charged a flat rate 20p plus a %age on top of that so for arguments sake lets say a paypal fee in total of 25p so I am now down to 38p but ebay have taken (including paypal) 61p of my 99p - yea its profit as I own the items but whats the bloody point in going through all the hassle of listing, packing & a trip to the post office (a chore in itself) for ebay to take two thirds of my money + I notice a big increase in buyers complaining and wanting money back for goods I am certain were fine but you have no choice to bow down to buyer power as ebay is buyer biased (sellers unable to leave neg feedback) I actually complained and refunded one lot of postal charges but when I complained again they told me tough. I will not be using ebay as a selling tool anymore as it is no longer a viable option to make a little money out of my unwanted belongings and it is far too much hassle. Bye bye ebay you killed your own business imo!

Please use plain text.