Community Newcomer

Well Done, Royal Mail!

Need to quote a customer to send a 2.5kg parcel of books to Australia by surface mail. Printed papers can be sent up to 5kg so long as it isn't Canada.

The useless leaflet they gave me at the PO only goes up to 2kg. So go online, where the site doesn't recognise my password, won't send me a reminder and so I have to register using another email address.

Re-register, logon, go to the price finder, which tells me that as my parcel is above 2.5kg in weight I need to use another service or if I am sending books, go to the Printed Paper prices page.

Follow the link and.....YOU ARE NOT AUTHORISED TO VIEW THIS PAGE.

C'MON ROYAL MAIL. I've already wasted most of the morning on this.

Does anyone have prices for printed papers above 2kg at the new rates? Nearest PO is 7 miles away so can't exactly whip down the road to ask unless I can do something else to justify the petrol.

Bloody hell.

Highlighted
Community Newcomer

Re: Well Done, Royal Mail!

in reply to missbondage

2.5kgs Surface Mail - £17.65. 

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international/surface-mail

It's actually not advisable to send via Surface Mail, as the time limit for opening a dispute is 45 days from making payment.  SM to Australia can take up to 12 weeks, so if you get an impatient/non-understanding buyer, they may open a dispute and end up with a refund - and eventually the item.

Community Newcomer

in reply to missbondage

Thanks for the link and the price, but that just takes me to a page about Surface Mail, to get to see all the prices I need:

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder/printed-papers

and that's the page I'm getting "Access Denied" on. Not sure what the problem is, nor why they keep insisting that I Iogin first.

Good advice about the dispute aspect of things, but as I sell niche book titles with limited print runs the edge I have over my competitors is that I offer surface mail and they don't. We are selling exactly the same product so if I only offer airmail then I might as well pack up and go home. It's a risk I have to take or go out of business, but as most of my buyers are repeat customers who appreciate the personal service, with the odd exception they rarely get crabby over delivery times.

Community Newcomer

in reply to missbondage

Hi,

In your opening post you mention you want to send Surface Mail to AU.  If you look at the page I posted above, then it mentions "Printed Papers" i.e. cost is no cheaper than if sending normal items by SM.

Airmail Printed Paper rate you need to work out each extra 250gms or so.

The need to 'log in' seems to be a new feature.  Tried it myself this morning, but assume it must be for those with a Business Account rather than those registered to just print postage. :-(

I contacted RM myself a couple of months back to ask why their calculator doesn't include Printed Papers any more (it did a year or more back).  They said they'd pass onto relevant dept., but no change yet.

Community Newcomer

in reply to missbondage

Well I don't have a Business account, so that can't be why I am expected to login to do everything now.

Anyhow, I've located the bit you mention. It says each extra 250g is an extra £1.60 up to max 5kg. So thanks for that.

But why oh WHY couldn't RM have said that on the leaflet in the first place?

Community Member

in reply to missbondage

I use transglobal for Australia and found it a good service.

Community Newcomer

in reply to missbondage

Certainly the Transglobal prices are better than Parcel2go but almost double service mail and more than the value of the books being sent.

Unfortunately my demographic is mainly middle aged or elderly (often unmarried) women on small incomes who would rather wait 3 months for their book to arrive than pay current postal prices. If I start charging £32 to send £29 worth of books, I ain't going to have many customers left. They will reckon that the £15 they are saving can be put towards another book.

The fact that Transglobal can get the books to them by Air in a couple of days will mean very little to people who will probably have a "to be read" pile of about 17 or 18 books and probably don't read the books I send them for a couple of months anyway.

It's a very different mindset to someone ordering a fashion item, they intend to wear in the next week or so.