eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
libby8373
Community Member

Unreasonable postage costs

Hi, just looking for opinions really.  I purchased something with £2 postage charge.  It arrived today in a small envelope (it was a small item) no protection around the item and a large 2nd class stamp (69p). I'm a bit miffed about being charged £2 for something that could only have cost £1 at the most to send.  Do I have any redress or should I just accept it? Thanks

Please use plain text.
fatspidercast
Community Member

Re: Unreasonable postage costs

in reply to libby8373

Some sellers will discount an item and increase the postage cost simply to reduce the final value fee they pay to ebay, or on the other hand they may well have to travel a long way to the post office and need a contribution to the cost of getting it there.

If you sell something for £20 and offer free postage you pay ebay £2.00 final value fee, if you sell it for £17.00 and charge £3.00 postage then you only pay ebay £1.70. this is one of the reasons ebay like to promote free postage listings.

Just weigh up what the item costs with the listed postage and decide whether you think the item is worth it, if you think the postage was still unreasonable you do have the option to leave negative feedback.

Selling on ebay for a living can be a problem with low value items as listing, final value and paypal fees eat into almost 15% of your sale, it's hardly surprising people will try to make their money on postage, personally I prefer to sell via my own website and just use ebay for specials and promotions

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

if you think the postage was still unreasonable you do have the option to leave negative feedback

Rubbish advice! If OP thinks the P&P was unreasonable, they should mark the P&P star accordingly. Giving a seller negative feedback for charging pennies over the stamp price is malicious in the extreme

BTW OP - I think £2 to get an item safely delivered to my door is not in any way unreasonable.

Please use plain text.
twowheelsman
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

i have been selling aload of low value item given to me by my neighbour who has now moved into a residential home using the 99p listing

i sold a brand new 14 dvd set of david attenboroughs wildlife nature for £1.04p i set the postage at £3.60

the buyer got a cracking bargain, left me a positive feedback but mentioned postage and soon after i noticed i got dsr ultra low dsr dinged on two ratings.Never mind the fact i make everything available for free collection. Funny enough that was on a percieved overcharge of £1.00 though i post everything well packed. Its not suprising people are finding bargains hard to find

And people wonder why people are not honoring 99p listings

Please use plain text.
4ufromfiley
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

You read. You bid. You won. You paid. You got..

End of story.

Please use plain text.
libby8373
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

@4ufromfiley

totally agree but I expected for £2 postage the item to be at least protected in the post rather than stuffed in a flimsy envelope. It was pure luck that it arrived in one piece.  I would rather pay more for the item and pay a postage charge that reflects the actual money spent on P&P.

I haven't left negative feedback but have expressed my disappointment in the disproportionate P&P.  I also know the retail cost of the item and I have paid exactly that for the item, no more, no less so I can see why the seller has ensured he has made a profit on the P&P.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

Personally, if I felt the P&P was OTT, I would have left positive - as long as everything else was OK - but marked marked how reasonable I felt P&P to be accordingly.

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

I haven't left negative feedback

You have given neutral feedback and damaged the stars of this seller for charging pennies over the stamp price - words fail me 

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

You have given neutral feedback and damaged the stars of this seller for charging pennies over the stamp price - words fail me 

How do you know they have 'damaged the stars' of the seller. Many buyers just want to leave something that shows - I have had a couple of neutrals - none of them came with low ratings.

(But I have had low ratings with positive - even glowing - feedback!)

Oh, and it was 131 'pennies' over the stamp price or just over 180% mark up!

Please use plain text.
blackcab01fran
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

Why does anyone complain over the postage, you must be totally blind and dumb then, the postage cost is clearly marked, if you DO NOT LIKE HOW MUCH THE COST OF THE POSTAGE  IS.... DONT BID OR BUY

it is that simple

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

the postage cost is clearly marked, if you DO NOT LIKE HOW MUCH THE COST OF THE POSTAGE  IS.... DONT BID OR BUY

it is that simple

The charge by the seller is clearly marked - but it's not until the item arrives that the buyer can see if postage cost was reasonable or not (which is what they are asked when they leave feedback).

If sellers want to be able to continue to sell, they need to stop loading the postage cost.

It's that simple.

Please use plain text.
twowheelsman
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

on items i sell with a £0.99p starting price i always include in the postage a minimum paypal fee of 25p and assumed final ebay sale fee of 10p. So thats 35p a buyer can feel ripped off about.Never mind the fact the seller has to spend time wrapping and posting.

If its a business seller over charging that i can understand a little anger, those who are just getting by clearing out stuff and making Bargains available to others get no sympathy from me.

Ever been to a car boot where they charge 50p admission?

Please use plain text.
dadio501
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

As said in a thread before booksandpatterns, how are you an authority on this subject when vitually all your items for sale are free P+P, not everyone is happy to pay Ebay extra as you do.

The problem is, as it has always been, a buyer happy to pay total cost, until it has been received.

Sadly the whinging few, who have nothing better to do, are quite happy to help ruin some poor unsuspecting sellers account.

If you don't like the total cost, then quite simply don't buy. Better still, do everyone a favour and vacate this auction site.

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

I would rather pay more for the item and pay a postage charge that reflects the actual money spent on P&P

OP, you were charged £4 for this transaction, including delivery

The seller listed it as a £2 + £2 p&p split. If they had listed it as Freepost £4, or £3 + £1 p&p, the end result does not change - it would still have cost you £4 including delivery.

Please help me to understand, how have you been disadvantaged in this transaction?

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

Better still, do everyone a favour and vacate this auction site.

What an odd thing to say.

Why would any seller want to tell possible buyers to go elsewhere? (Unless, of course, they have been thrown off this site for loaded P&P, and are trying desperately to get buyers to the sites that will allow them to list :^O)

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

As said in a thread before booksandpatterns, how are you an authority on this subject when vitually all your items for sale are free P+P

Oh, and I don't remember ever claiming to be 'an authority'.

My items may be P&P inclusive (my buyers prefer it that way), but I do buy, and not all the items I buy have inclusive P&P, so surely I am just as entitled to have an opinion about this as anyone else?

Please use plain text.
heidilcumming
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

books to many your opinion is more valid than many other peoples as you are a regular poster who offers sensible advice.  You are always polite and most importantly you are logical.  As a result many do see you as an authority even though you would never claim to be one yourself.  Just ignore anyone who trys to belittle you when you are just expressing an opinion.  It only makes them look foolish after all :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
booksandpatterns
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

That last post will be printed off, and hung my wall :smileywink: :-D

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
libby8373
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

@homerjae I have never said I was disadvantaged, I just felt deceived.  I expected (clearly naively going by some of the responses here) P&P to reflect the actual P&P costs.  I would  and was happy to pay a total of £4 but would have preferred to be charged more for the item in recognition of the work the seller has gone through to obtain and list it and accurately for P&P.

Anyhow, I am done with this thread.  Alot of responses have been constructive, giving me an insight into the world of selling which I have no knowledge of. For those I say thank you.  I have learnt alot. Others have been bitter and accusatory and for that reason I will not be asking for help from these discussion boards again which is disappointing.

Feel free to carry on without me.

Please use plain text.
heidilcumming
Community Member

in reply to libby8373

libby please ask for help and advice again if you need it.  You will always get good help on these bored though unfortunately often a lot of agro too.  You just have to ignore the irrelevant stuff.  Also sorry that my last post wasn't really relevant to your enquiry I guess some of the bitter and accusatory annoyed me to.

Please use plain text.