seajayshome
Community Member

Small parcel exception - does it have to be a cube?

Hi guys - there seems to be some confusion over the small parcel exception which says :

Exceptions apply
Parcels that do not exceed 16cm in length and 16cm in width and 16cm in depth can be sent as small parcels, provided the weight does not exceed 2kg.

Apparently post offices are saying that all the sides must be equal, i.e. A cube, but from my reading of the exception the sides only need to all be less than our equal to 16cm.

One of my site users contacted several post offices and phoned royal mail and there was general confusion but they decided eventually that it has to be a cube!?

Anyone having similar experience or have a definitive answer?
Please use plain text.
flyingbigboy
Community Member

Re: Small parcel exception - does it have to be a cube?

in reply to seajayshome

No, it does not have to be cube. The only requirement is that your parcel must be able to fit inside a 16cm cube.

Please use plain text.
dancingdaffodil57
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

Unbelieveable ! Flyingbigboy's answer is 100% correct.

Please use plain text.
seajayshome
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

Well that's what I thought, but one of the sellers that use my site for postage parcels said:

I've finally got to the bottom of this small parcel mess by ringing several P.O's & R.M!
The width limit IS 8cm, unless it is an actual cube, equal on all sides, then it can be up to 16cm!!  So much for R.M making this simpler for us!!

It seems some further training is required just now for post offices and RM's helpline!

Please use plain text.
flyingbigboy
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

Royal Mail states :-

Exceptions apply

The following items are also priced as small parcels

1. Parcels that measure up to and including

Length 16cm and width 16cm and depth 16cm

2.Roll or cylinder shaped parcels that measure up to and including :

Length 45cm and diameter 8cm

Roll or cylinder shaped parcels larger than these sizes can be posted as Medium Parcels up to and including 90cm in length and up to and including 104cm ( length plus twice the diameter )

Taken from  http://www.royalmail.com/parcels-made-easy

My local post master has confirmed this to me.

Please use plain text.
smokeychang
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

So no definitive answer on this question. Because tbh.. From the replies i am non the wiser. I have searched the sites the web.. And the Post Office ladies are clueless.

A cube is a complete nuiscance!!! fitting it inside a cube is simple..

Anybody had any luck using the cube system yet..

Please use plain text.
smokeychang
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

I've constructed 4 cubes so far and all are off ( i will never get that time back)..lol I am only trying to post a boxed mug this is a nightmare..

Please use plain text.
zoe105ser
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

You can send items as a Small Parcel if your item is up to 16cms cubed and does not weight more than 2kg. It does not have to be a cube e.g. you could send something that was 15cm x 10cms x 9cms as a Small Parcel. If you have a Jiffy bagged item and it fits within the 16cms cubed size it can be sent as a Small Parcel. Post Offices have cube templates that they use to check items, as long as your items fits in their template you can send it as a Small Parcel.

Please use plain text.
smokeychang
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

AND THAT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE.. :smileyhappy:THANKS I SHALL GIVE IT A WHIRL..

Please use plain text.
1902elder
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

Zoe105ser

Your reply is totally wrong. If the height is over 8cm it is a medium parcel. The cube size says that no side can exceed 16cm, and POs have a box of that size to check if the parcel fits. If you are suggesting that a jiffy bag can be folded to fit into the cube, this is wrong. It is the size that it will be when handled. Again, maximum depth has to be les than 8cm or it becomes a medium parcel

Please use plain text.
bankhaunter
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

. If the height is over 8cm it is a medium parcel.

Unless it would fit into a 16cm cube so the height could be up to 16cm, if no other measurement was over 16 cm.

Seems clear to me, if a seller makes up a box with internal measurements of 16cm in all directions, any packed item that fits in it is a small parcel.

Should be easy to knock one up.

Please use plain text.
tech-nine
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

Comment #9 cannot be right.  If your package fits into a 16cm sided cube, it's a small parcel.   If the post office says no, then start making some lightweight 16cm cubes (external) and post your items in them.  Fold as necessary, watch the weight. 

Please use plain text.
felinedancer
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

I've bought some 6"x6"x6" cubes from www.globepackaging.co.uk although have found some people selling them on ebay to. Had to buy 200 to get the price down to 19p each and can now fit most crystals that are larger than 8cm in them. All seems a bit silly cos a few of these boxes are much harder to carry than a bubble wrap envelope, also some of the crystals I have look a bit lost in the boxes, but thay need protection around them and if that's the format that they want ?:smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
nannyjoon
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

I can't really see what all the fuss is about.  Admittedly, Royal Mail have gone out of their way to confuse and decieve people people but when you sit down (or you can stand) and study their 'Handy Pricing Guide (?) leaflet, if you go to Section 1, right at the very bottom in the grey panel (the bttom 2 lines), it reads 'Exceptions Apply', and if you read it very carefully (word for word) - it's very clear that parcels UP TO AND NOT EXCEEDING 16cm x16cm 16cm qualify as small parcels.  I've been sending them every day for the last two weeks and after convincing my local post office clerk, who didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and refused point blank at first to even listen to me that I was right, I've had no further problems and I can assure everybody that any shaped parcel, as long as it doesn't exceed those dimensions can go as a small parcel.  It's very obvious that  Royal Mail wanted to keep that secret to themselves as they didn't even make their staff aware of it and the wording is so small it's only legible with a magnifying glass (how helpful is that?) - ijn fact they are downright deceitful.  DON'T LET THEM GET THE BETTER OF YOU, they must th ink people are daft!

Please use plain text.
dazzer_man
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

The Post Office are clearly being inconsistent here. This week my son took four 10 cm diameter 11 cm long parcels down our local PO and they charged him as medium parcels.  I just went down and complained and the PO said the 16x16x16 exception only applies to cube shapes.  I then rang the PO and complained. The operator agreed it is stupid but his understanding was that it also had to be a cube. I registered a formal complaint.

Please use plain text.
grandad-dave
Community Member

in reply to seajayshome

The truth is the royal mail do'nt know their AR*SE from their elbow. It doe's not have to be a cube.Their leaflet is quite clear on that.

Please use plain text.
authenticated-originals
Community Member

in reply to smokeychang

A box with with all sides the same is classed as a cube thus making it exempt, I only foung this out last night whilst looking for boxes.

Exceptions apply

Parcels that do not exceed 16cm in length and 16cm in width and 16cm in depth can be sent as small parcels, provided the weight does not exceed 2kg. Visit our shop to buy boxes this size.

Parcels greater in size than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm or heavier than 20kg can be sent using Parcelforce services which include tracking and are guaranteed.

Please use plain text.
authenticated-originals
Community Member

in reply to felinedancer
Go for the 5"x5"x5" I buy the same boxes and only realised about cubes being exempt , I sell mugs and must admit he 6"x6"x6" do look a bit big.
Please use plain text.
authenticated-originals
Community Member

in reply to authenticated-originals

A box with with all sides the same is classed as a cube thus making it exempt, I only found this out last night whilst looking for boxes.

Exceptions apply

Parcels that do not exceed 16cm in length and 16cm in width and 16cm in depth can be sent as small parcels, provided the weight does not exceed 2kg. Visit our shop to buy boxes this size.

Parcels greater in size than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm or heavier than 20kg can be sent using Parcelforce services which include tracking and are guaranteed.

Please use plain text.
tope-fisher
Community Member

in reply to authenticated-originals

Just been to my local post office to check this out and they had a 16 x 16  x 16 cm open top cube behind the counter as a size checker. They told me that as long as your box fits inside this it is ok , but then they said that it didn't matter how tall the parcel was ( it could stick out of the open top as much as you like) as long as it went in the 16 X 16cm box !!!!!!!!   looks like a lot af my parcels are going to be 16cm wide by 16cm deep by as long as I need all for £2.60 second class, Brill

Please use plain text.