• Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Get inspired!
Answer
filmifan
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Error message from PayPal when trying to pay for an item I won

I just won a DVD today. The seller clearly stated on his auction that he/she accepts PayPal. I went to my PayPal account, as I always do, and tried to pay for it, as I normally would do.

When I clicked on 'continue' to go to the next part of the payment process, I got a message from PayPal, saying:

=======================

This recipient is currently unable to receive money.

At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to eBay and try another option.

=======================

I have just sent a message to the seller, to ask him/her if he actually has a PayPal account, or if this has happened to him/her before?

If he doesn't have a PayPal account,and I only use PayPal to pay for anything/everything I win or buy on ebay, am I still obligated to pay him, or can I cancel the transaction based on this (if it turns out the seller doesn't actually have a PayPal account).

Or should I try again in an hour or so, to pay for this DVD?

Accepted Solutions: 5
julie19090_0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Seller is using a different excuse on his listings now.

Apparently it is due to a bad seller?

He should not be listing if he cannot offer paypal.

His listings look familiar. Everything listed as Gay Interest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growing old disgracefully.
julie19090_0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Allow your seller 2 or 3 days to reply.

If they don't then reply then report them, leave feedback and buy the dvd elsewhere.

Ignore the reminder to pay in my ebay. It will go away eventually. You could just mark the item as paid if it annoys you.

Only the seller can initiate a cancellation. They need to go to the resolution centre and send you a request.

He has obviously had this problem for a while. Paypal usually resolve simple issues very quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

julie19090_0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Just bear in mind that the problem he may be having with paypal is the fact they hold new sellers money for 21 days.

Alternatively his account may be frozen due to a dispute.

They are hardly going to own up to the real reason are they.

All sellers have to offer and accept paypal for such items. Seller really should not be listing if his paypal account isn't working.

plum993
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Well it may well be the seller has a hacked account,but while they list with pay pal as an option there obliged to accept it,or be reported for seller non performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plum993
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Ask the seller to cancel the transaction as you only wish to pay by pay pal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Answers: 12
filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Thanks very  much, plum993. I'm hoping I won't have to report the seller at all, and just hoping we can agree to cancel the entire transaction, rather than report anyone.

Thanks again, to both you and julie09090, for your help and your advice. I ery much appreciate your taking the time and for being courteous and friendly in your responses back.

tobiasd4
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Looking at sellers feedback, he was saying back in December had problems with paypal.

Just looks like he is trying to avoid paypal fees & protection for buyers.

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Thank you plum993 and julie19090, and sorry once again, plum993, for mistakenly (definitely my mistake this time) for your replies and help with this.

I am hoping that the seller gets in touch with me so we can resolve this.

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Sorry! Sorry! Sorry plum993!

I was so annoyed by the comment left by burslempot that I mistakenly typed your id in by mistake.

Sorry!

burslempot
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Read the description..

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Hi Julie 9090 0 - Thanks for replying, once again, and offering help and advice.

I've still not heard back from the seller, but I will wait for however long it's required of me, as the buyer, to wait to hear back from him/her.

I didn't realise that, as a new seller, ebay could hold his/her money for 21 days. I just assumed that, as with any auction win or purchase made by me or any buyer, that even if the seller is a new seller, the buyer could just pay the seller. I've never received an error message from ebay - before this transaction, I mean - that the seller can't currently accept money. Is this a new ebay policy, maybe?

I also don't know if he's in dispute with any other ebayer, but he did state - at the bottom of the listing - that his PayPal account was hacked. I don't know if that's part of a dispute he/she is having or not, though.

All I want is to hear back from the seller - one way or the other - regarding whether my PayPal payment can/will be accepted, or, if not, then I'd like to just cancel the transaction completely.

How long do I need to wait for the seller to reply back to me before I have to ask ebay to step in and help resolve the situation? I really would rather not have to do anything like that. I just want the DVD and want to pay for it with PayPal...or, failing that, just cancel it. Am I within my rights as a buyer to ask for a cancellation based on the confusion in his original listing?

Thanks again, both of you, for your help and advice.

plum993
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

No worries ;-) mistakes happen.

You can report for seller non performance here if you need to,"report form"

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Okay. I just went back to the original listing for this, and at the very bottom, it does say, postal orders only due to PayPal hacking...

BUT...

both at the top of the listing, and under payments accepted, it definitely DOES

list PayPal as an acceptable payment option.

I have always paid for everything I've ever won or purchased outright on ebay using PayPal. I have never used a money order or postal order or bank cheque or anything else because it's too much of a hassle to do that. That's why I - and millions of others - use PayPal.

I've not yet heard back from the seller on this, but am I still obligated to pay for this now, even though he/she didn't disallow PayPal as a payment option?

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

There's no need to be so rude, plum993.It's unnecessary and inappropriate. I was asking a reasonable enough question, and the reason why I came to this forum, for a reasonable answer and/or solution. Not a rude comeback.

Yes, I already said that it was at the bottom of the whole listing. At the bottom of the listing.

While at the top of the listing - at the very start of the listing, it clearly says that PayPal is accepted, right along with postal orders/money orders, it clearly states that yes, PayPal is an accepted form of payment by the seller.

So... yes, I admit it -  I didn't read all the way down to the bottom of the description.

But the seller should have made sure NOT to include PayPal as an accepted payment option. I would never have placed a bid on this in the first place if it had clearly said - at the top - where it lists 'acceptable payment options' - does not accept PayPal. It clearly stated that PayPal was an acceptable and accept form of payment.

So my question is - even though the description (at the bottom of the page) was included (along with it also stating that PayPal IS accepted as payment) - can I ask for the transaction to be cancelled altogether?

burslempot
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

"and at the very bottom"

You mean the description, The part of the listing you never bothered to read...

Text is big enuf...

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Thanks, Julie 09090 - I will definitely wait for a few days to hear back from the seller. I really hope he/she replies quickly, so we can sort it out one way or another.

filmifan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to filmifan

Thanks, plum993, for accepting my apology. Much appreciated. Hopefully, I will hear back from the seller sooner rather than later, so we can get this dilemma sorted.

I have no problem paying for the DVD, as I do want it, and I have every intention of paying for it. But with PAYPAL. Therein is the problem, which hopefully, the seller can sort out either by re-opening his/her PayPal account to allow me to pay for it the way I always pay for my ebay wins, or to agree to cancel the transaction completely.

Thanks again for being understanding regarding my earlier typo, as well as helpful with giving me advice on how best/next to proceed.