Answer
sbed3404
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Can I send parcels cheaper than Royal Mail?

Hi everyone.

Is there a cheaper alternative postal service other than Royal Mail?

This morning I received an item which I bought from eBay with postage cost £2.00 only to notice that because of the new RM charges the poor seller was actually charged £5.20 for sending it.

The size of the parcel 5" x 3-1/3"  can usually be sent for £2.20 but under RM's new sizing for parcels it now comes under Medium Parcel rate which is £5.20 - this is surely a legalised rip-off?

I too have been stung by this change in the postal rates and wondered if there is another cheaper way to send items?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions: 2
topcat83
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sbed3404

there was a seller asking about  postage this morning

limits for medium parcel 61 x 45 x 45

his parcel  63  x think it was 21 x 21

so 2cm over on one side and  masses to spare on the other  dimensions this is really ridiculous on rms part

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sbed3404

Hi,

Gathering from other threads on the discussion boards and Answer Centre, a lot of sellers are looking at Collect+ and My Hermes.

Just noticed on here that parcelmonkey is another to try - as well as looking at interparcel.

Other Answers: 3
jplbitsandbobs
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sbed3404

do not use parcel monkey they are useless. My hermes are your best bet,use them direct from there site and it is cheaper than using them via parcel to go or any other company who sub them out.

thetrusselltrust.lockerley
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sbed3404

There are quite a few couriers that are a lot cheaper than RM.

Interparcel is an agent for some..so you can see at a glance if there are any that suite your requirement.

I use myhermes and find them very reasonable compared with others.Picked up at the door so no PO queues etc. I am fortunate to be able to leave in a box at the door for pick up so I do not have to wait in.

As for your parcel that was delivered today...I sincerely hope you gave your seller top dsr's etc for honouring the sale?  so many sellers are refusing to send.

sbed3404
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sbed3404

Many thanks for the speedy reply.