eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Shop the world
sophied1978
Community Member

mobile phone scam? Nigeria??? HELP!!!

Hi,I was selling a nokia N70 and within 15 minutes near the end of auction, my reserve was met and more. BUt the person who won has only opened an account today and it is registered in India. I said on my advert that I would not ship outside the UK.
Got an email from the winning bidder saying they live in UK but are in India at the moment.The phone is for his son who is at a univeristy in Nigeria and they are willing to pay £30 extra to have the phone sent there.
I got suspicious and told them I wouldn't send to Nigeria as there has been lots of problem but I got a nasty email telling me to "watch it or they'll report me as a scam" and I should apologize.
They are insisting and I don't know what to do.
I have reported them to ebay but what else can I do.
They have not paid me and I don't want to sell the phone to them.
Please use plain text.
vallombrosa2
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Report to Ebay NOW for incorrect contact details.This will mean that Ebay make them a Non registered User. As Soon as both the Buyer become NARU you can claim from Ebay for your final value fees to be refunded -using the Non Paying Buyer reason. If you are relisting your item tick the 'will only post to the Uk' box and make the auction immediate payment with Paypal. Also block bidders who have 0 feedback with no credit card registered.
Please use plain text.
vallombrosa2
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
And Members that are NARU cannot leave feedback.So don't worry about that.
Please use plain text.
and460
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
This Nigeria scam business is ringing alarm bells with me too!
Just sold a camera within 8hours of it being posted on ebay. Buyer from Poland, asked for it to be shipped to her brother in Nigeria. Advised that shipping including insurance would be an extra £150 and she emailed back saying that this was acceptable and postal orders would be sent the same day. This was a bit odd as for the total cost she could have bought the goods new!.
Then I received a very dodgy email from a company Bid Pay using the ebay logos who informed me that postal orders would be sent to me when they received the shipping details. emailed them back (and the buyer) to inform them that the goods were not being shipped until I received payment in full. Snotty email received from Bid Pay in the worst broken English I have seen.
Still waiting for reply from seller.
I am extreemly suspicious as they also suggested that if I gave my bank details the transaction would procede quicker. This did not happen as I was not born yesterday!
Will readvertise if nothing received within 7 days. Watch this Space.
Please use plain text.
vallombrosa2
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
No need to wait.I already know the outcome. Four letters apply SCAM.

Report the Buyer to Ebay for incorrect contact details and when they are Made a Not a Registered User ,claim through Dispute Console for Non Paying Bidder to claim your fees back.

If you relist - make sure you blok bidders with 0 feedback and no credit card on file and make your auction immediate Payment with Paypal. I'd also make it Ship to UK Only and block bidders from outside the UK.

You're right - the email would be false as would be the Bidpay/Western Union/Paypl notification.

Also read this threat it explains all about Nigerian Scams.

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=400126006&tstart=40&mod=1142283816973
Please use plain text.
lesley2606
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Guess what!!! Ive been the victim of the Nigerian scam. My son sold his psp on ebay, withing 2 hours of advertising it we had someone who answered the "buy it now". The person was from sweden, wanted it for his in laws in Nigeria. Was told payment would be by Western Union. Then received email from western union asking for confirmation of postage. The buyer has emailed me twice asking y i have given him a negative rating.
Please use plain text.
vallombrosa2
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
You sent the item ? I could not clarify that from your posting above ..or did you become wary and save yourself from this Scam by not posting ?
Please use plain text.
makai1980
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Wow... I just got done by this too... very frustrating. This was my first time selling on ebay... I was selling a mobile phone. The bidding was going well, I was initially worried no one would buy from me as I have not yet built up a feedback score, and was won by karrencoles22. I got an email from the user straight away with a similar story about a reporter fiancee based in nigeria... i knew it was fake but had no idea what to do abut it so thanks for this!
Please use plain text.
lesley2606
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
At the insistance of my son it was posted to Nigeria. It was his item and altho i had my doubts and voiced them, he sent the item to Nigeria. Hence he is now well out of pocket and angry to say the least!!
Please use plain text.
bcmphil
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
The same happened to me, but i sussed them an didnt send my item. After abit of digging i found approx 12 scammers in 30min all bidding for mobile phones i posted this on the discussion boards with the names and within 2hrs it had been deleted and got an email from ebay shame there not as quick at finding these scammers! And anyway why should'nt genuine ebayer know these scammers
Please use plain text.
impulse*buyer
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Nigerians register using stolen/cloned credit cards as Netherlands folk, or Singaporeans, or whatever is fashionable.

The ultimate destination is a thief's paradise (although a hell on earth in other ways) so remember "NIGERIA = SCAM".

Marc
Please use plain text.
smug48
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
I had the exact same problem today. Was selling a nokia 6280, and within 1 day the but it now price had been met. Had seen a few pages whilst browsing ebay before that said clealry they would not send to nigeria, as a result, when i got a suspicious email from a 0 feedback user claiming to be in holland and wanting to send the phone as a present for her daughter in lagos, and when i read this forum, i refused to send the phone.

Fraser
Please use plain text.
bigcarl25
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
guess what? just been hit with the same scam! put my phone on for auction and just hours bfore end time the winning bid is for a vast ammount. although stating uk delivery only 'lillian james' requests i send it to nigeria for her son whos on vaccation out there?! thought it sounded dodgy and after looking on hear i see im not the only one!
Please use plain text.
mainy1711
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
right i fell for this selling an ipod video...have sent it already and not recieved payment - fell for that STUPID paypal tracking number thing! How Annonying Is That!??

what can i do?? totally screwed huh?
Please use plain text.
ashlea4444
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Mobile Phone Scam - Ignore them and don't respond to any of their e-mails. I have just had exactly the same thing and they have now stopped bothering me. Please don't worry yourself, e-bay are also aware of this.
Please use plain text.
justamumof3
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
#18 - I'm afraid so :smileysad: Sorry

If you contact me, please do not hide your email address, as the new ebay restrictions mean that posting ids are often prevented from replying.

Please use plain text.
kelly3827
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Hi, i have just sold a Nokia N70 on ebay. The seller reckons to live in Canada and wants it sent to NIGERIA to his fiance who lives there. Have got an email from them saying they will pay the postage via Royal Mail and have pasted the exact message i received below for you to read. Broken english, he doesn't know whether his girlfriend is a boy or a girl and it just doesn't add up. Especially now we have read the other emails. Came in to bid at the last minute and has only registered today! What a waste of time, effort and money! just glad i have not fallen for it!!!!!

Hello seller,
Well am very happy to be the winner of your
item,please i will like to ask you if your can ship this item to my
fiancee in Nigeria,because my job wont allow me to send it to him myself,i
am alway at work so please i really need you help.I am sending it to
HER as a Birthday gift and i want it to be a surprise to her,so please i
would really appreciate it if you can help me ship it over to him,i
will pay all it cost to ship it there,so you just send me the total amount
and i will pay via PAYPAL,i will appreciate it if you can help me send
it through first class royal mail because it is faster,safter and reliable,i
dont want anything to happen to the phone because it is an expensive
phone and also i will like you to send it by Monday after you receive the
payment,please get back to me ASAP........about the shipping cost VIA FIRST CLASS ROYALMAIL

Thanks
Please use plain text.
6924christopher
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Hi
Well i've just logged on to this site in a bid to try and find help myself as i have just experienced exactly the same as you have. Mobile phone up for auction suddenly the price rocketed and i thought i had successfully sold to a buyer in Canada? However, just got home to find 'e'mails galore stating "i have paid" please send to 'Lagos Nigeria!':-( I have just forwarded the mail to spoof@paypal and await answer However, having now read the experiences of others and checked the buyers ( i use that term loosely) history i see that the details are shown as no longer registered with 'e' bay !! So i will give it a day or two and then re-list with a short sharp note on the bottom of the listing!!
Hope everything works out for you.:-)
Cheers Chris
Please use plain text.
6924christopher
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
Hi
Once more just to keep you posted the 'e' mail i sent to the spoof@paypal worked a treat they were exceptionally quick with a reply and confirmed what i had thought Yes you guessed it the 'e' mails were fake and even made to look as per paypal with logos etc the one thing that i did notice is that the text and logos were nowhere near as sharp as the genuine ones.
So if ever in doubt it really is worth sending a copy to them just to put your mind at rest.
Cheers Chris:-D
Please use plain text.
kizz_1
Community Member

in reply to sophied1978
I too was selling a mobile and within hrs today i got a buy it now bid.The user name of the scam buyer was "stephi00_j" and lo and behold she has just joined today with 0 feedback. They're out in force eh ?
Thanks for info on how to reclaim my fees and on reporting them.

P.S if anyone is looking for a nice phone?lol!

Here is a copy of the mail i got today.

Dear Seller,
I will like to purchase your Item L@@K!!!SAGEM MYZ-55 GREAT CON GRAB A BARGAIN L@@K!!! (9138276360)
for a friend oversea as a gift.He works
with British America Tobacco there in West Africa Due to my workload,
i might not be able to be checking my mails often.So i will be offering
£50.I want the item posted via Australia fast Delivery.hope
the package will get to her in good condition ..What is the present
condition of this item and does it comes in it's original box?.I will be
paying you for the item via Postal Order, so get back to me with your
full name and Address.

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS SO THAT I CAN REPLY BACK
HERE IS THE SHIPPING ADDRESS BELOW
AYUBA MUSTAPHA
44 AYILARA STREET OFF
OJUELEGBA SURULERE LAGOS.
NIGERIA

I would need this vital information so that the i can make the payment.
FULL NAME ................
FULL ADDRESS............
STATE...........................
CITY................................
ZIP CODE....................
COUNTRY....................
BANK INFORMATION...............................
PHONE ....CELL #,HOMES #,OFFICE #..................
Get back to me as soon as possible.

NOT A CHANCE MATE!:^O
Please use plain text.