eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Black Friday Countdown Deals
mrsfg7399
Community Member

Postage cost requests from Estonia & Ukraine

Hi, I have never posted abroad before.  I have received postage cost requests within 24 hrs from Estonia and the Ukraine on the same item (a pair of Ecco walking shoes).  I checked out their profiles and they both have 100% positive feedback.  I am wary having read several posts on here regarding claims of non-receipt from buyers from these countries.  I like the idea of offering goods worldwide but would welcome any thoughts on how to check people out as thoroughly as possible before accepting a bid and what protection I can put in place myself.  I am new to this forum and a stressed out Mum to a 4 yr old so please be gentle with me! Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
old*angler
Community Member

Re: Postage cost requests from Estonia & Ukraine

in reply to mrsfg7399

All buyers will have 100% positive feedback unless they sell on the same account.  Sellers have not been allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for a few years now.  It is more useful to check the feedback left by those buyers to get a sense of how they behave.

You can easily get the correct posting cost if you know the packed (not sealed but otherwise packed as you would to send it) weight of the item in grams.  Have a look at http://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/

Some packages never do arrive although its not the epidemic you'd expect from reading the boards.  Put a legible address label on the package, put your return address (house number and post code at least) on the package, put a boring description on the customs form - "shoes" would be plenty - and send them on.  The package will almost certainly will arrive since postal services are pretty reliable and your package will look too boring to steal..

Please use plain text.
colinsfoto
Community Member

in reply to mrsfg7399

Mrsg, There is no general problem with selling to buyers in the two countries you mention.

However, since I mostly sell to overseas buyers, it really goes against the grain to suggest that, in your case, it would be best to turn down overseas bidders. Returns on shoes, can be high, due to fit and other issues. That is bad enough with UK sales but, given the overseas shipping costs of these items, it could be a risk/cost to far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein
Please use plain text.
mrsfg7399
Community Member

in reply to mrsfg7399

Many thanks to both of you for your informative replies.  Neither of the prospective buyers have feedback as sellers but as buyers they appear exemplary. I had already stated that return postage must be paid by the buyer if the items are not suitable so hopefully I will avoid that pitfall. I have also contacted a lady who has sold to one of them recently (I've just had another request for postage this morning from Hungary!) so she may be able to give me some pointers/reassurance as well.

Again...many thanks....much appreciated

Please use plain text.
old*angler
Community Member

in reply to mrsfg7399

Colin, I imagine that one or both bidders are familiar with that particular, popular, & well known shoe and will know what size is a comfortable fit for them.

Otherwise I would agree that shoes could easily be a problem for international sales.

Please use plain text.
squern
Community Member

in reply to old*angler

We seem to be very reluctant in the UK to regard other nationalites as trustworthy.

I sell a lot of stuff abroad and very rarely have problems, in fact I have more with UK customers.

If you send messages, use Google translate to send a copy in their language to be sure of 100% understanding.

It is so easy to post abroad, with a little preparation (Customs stickers, Airmail stickers), and the potential for sales is so large.

Foreigners are just the same as us, they just speak a different language.

-o-O-o- -o-O-o- -o-O-o- -o-O-o- -o-O-o- -o-O-o-

If you don't have the rain, you can't have the roses..
Please use plain text.
who_1976
Community Member

in reply to squern

Yes,I agree with you-I would say about 99% of buyers from overseas have been fine and in some cases really appreaciative if it's something they have been looking for for many years. E-bay UK would not survive in my own opinion without overseas trade-not enough spending power yet here in UK since big economic failure.

Please use plain text.
eekhorn1
Community Member

in reply to squern

We seem to be very reluctant in the UK to regard other nationalites as trustworthy.

Something I have been acutely aware of sincemaking my base in Belgium. Just take 35 minutes on Eurotunnel and for most UK sellers you may as well have left the Planet, and of course you are far more likely to be a scammer or in some way, trouble.  I was discussing this with a visitor to my place in Belgium, also a Brit but living in Denmark. He too is mystified as to why sales to him, and me, are talked about in terms of "risk" on these boards.

Stuff 'em. At the end of the day this nonsense has made me a fortune.

Please use plain text.
bendelboy
Community Member

in reply to eekhorn1

my issue with posting abroad is when they request its sent at cheapest cost...not international signed for-which i believe puts the seller at risk if it goes missing. if the buyer states they take full responsibility if it goes missing-will ebay abide by that -or will they go in favour of the buyer?

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to bendelboy

Unless the item is absolute fraud bait, ISF is pointless, and if it is fraud bait ebay is not the place to sell it.

Occasionally, an item will go missing and you make a refund. Just a business cost, like ebay fees, and in practice a figure of 1% of turnover should be ample protection in a self insurance fund (or jam jar of cash) to be used for the occasional losses.

If it costs more to prevent something than it would cost if it happened, don't waste the money on prevention.

The safest package is the one sent by basic post, with a boring description and modest value.

af,
the dinosaur of eBay.
Please use plain text.
eekhorn1
Community Member

in reply to bendelboy

Please use plain text.
eekhorn1
Community Member

in reply to bendelboy

bendelboy wrote:

my issue with posting abroad is when they request its sent at cheapest cost...not international signed for-which i believe puts the seller at risk if it goes missing. if the buyer states they take full responsibility if it goes missing-will ebay abide by that -or will they go in favour of the buyer?

Guy, what makes you think the cheaper post will get lost?! Again, an irrational fear of any item leaving the UK not making it to it's destination!

Please use plain text.
adriennesheila
Community Member

in reply to mrsfg7399

me too. today i got requests from russia and estonia............. is there a rush on ecco shoes out there! i think not......... what did you do?

cheers

Adriennesheila 

Please use plain text.
colinsfoto
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to adriennesheila

Not too much of a rush as this original post dates back well over 15 months!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein
Please use plain text.
eekhorn1
Community Member

in reply to colinsfoto

Yea, and nothing changed. Simple requests to buy goods treated with hostility and suspicion merely because the buyer is not in the UK. 

Please use plain text.