Tin of Chopped Ham and Pork

mouse4702
Conversationalist
I got a good price on one of the above, but don't have a clue as to how to serve it. I'm thinking, is it a Spam type thing? I don't fancy it cold from the tin as it looks like compressed spew, but how do I cook it? In fact, should I cook it?
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My mum used to fry it and serve it with chips. Personally I didn't like it but that was donkeys years ago.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

My mum used to fry it and serve it with chips. Personally I didn't like it but that was donkeys years ago.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Cheers, Ed! Fried it shall be! and can anyone else remember the old advert for a boy who was sent to the shops for "chopped ham and pork" and could only say "plopped ham and chalk" when he got there? God we were easily amused in the 60s.
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Definitely similar to Spam - was going to suggest the traditional fritters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

i also would do fritters.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

How about , making a a batter and fry it ,( you could put say 4 large tablespoon of plain flour, in a bowl , crack an egg , at a litle milk , beat with a fork and  dip chopped pork slices into batter and shallow fry.Hope you enjoy.!!!

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Whoo, Lemons, I'm salivating at the thought!
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Mum did that as well. Is that what you call fritters?
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

I like it sliced cold in a sarnie with pickle.:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

When my dad had a corner shop he used to sell cooked meats.  They came in great big tins and he sliced them on the bacon slicer.  I remember there was chopped pork, roast ham, corned beef, haislet and luncheon meat.  All of them were sliced thinly for sandwiches.

We used to live in a very run down area where people were very poor.  Their shopping list consisted of (for e.g.)

I slice of bacon

2oz of luncheon meat.

2 eggs

2 woodbines

1/2lb sugar

1/4lb Stork margarine

A twist of bile beans.

A bundle of wood.

And they probably got change from half a crown!  Woman LOL

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

With a Salad!!!!!!!!!!,, or in a Roll like someone mentioned,mmmm lovely!!!!!Woman Happy

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

I cubed some Spam up today and put it in a pasta bake, that was lovely but I think there was too much cheese in it.

it's nice in pasta.

or an omellette?

Photobucket

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

make a tempura batter and fry it - lovely and the batter should be really crispy to add a different texture

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent