Loads of tins of tomatoes

mouse4702
Conversationalist

......any suggestions? (no not that).  I tend to buy them when I see them cheap, and have about 12 tins.  I need the cupboard space!  Has anyone a recipe using tinned toms?

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

are they chopped or  whole?

i add them to spag bol,  soup  even spicy mince meals

or even just have them on  toast with a shake of  lea and perrin or marmite on the toast

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

Real spaghetti Bolognese?  Not this rubbish that comes out of a tin.  When making the Bolognese sauce drain the tomatoes into a measuring jug or bowl otherwise the flavour will be overpowering.  Add you onions - finely chopped, mixed herbs, a few peas, maybe a carrot very finely chopped - use a hand mincer/blender and whatever is at hand - a few olives go down well, plus a large dollop of butter plus seasoning - cayne pepper gives it a kick plus just a touch of chilli sauce.  In the mean time put on your spaghetti.  Use the absolute minimum amount of water in the saucepan: remember, you are not making minced meat and onions, you are making a Bolognese sauce which will be poured over the spaghetti.  Garnish with dry mint, and off you go - c'est magnifique!   

With the rest of the tomato juice, set it aside for a Bloody Mary or add half an onion, put into a blenderand whisk until pure.  Pour later into a saucepan and simmer gently until it is as thick as jam, leave until cold and then spoon in to an empty Heinz tomato sauce container, and you've got natural tomato sauce which will last months.

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

Surely real bolognese would be made with real fresh tomatoes, not tinned.
Mouse,chop & saute some onions, celery & garlic. Tip in a tin of tomatoes, add pepper & salt. Simmer for 20 mins, then blend. A tomato soup that freezes really well
Photobucket
Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

I use lots ot tinned tomatoes as a basis for sauces ....bolognaise , ariabbata , chilli and in curries etc ...very versatile ...

I also have a soup maker and often use tinned tomatoes as a base for differnt soups too . Last week I made red pepper and tomato soup with just a pepper , an onion , a potato , garlic and chicken stock ....delicious , healthy and good for slimmers if you pass on the fresh crusty bread and butter .....

Red kidney bean tomato and chilli is great as a soup too . Same basic recipe of onion , potato , garlic and stock ....just add a carrot , chilli, tinned tomatoes and a can of red kidney beans ......nice n spicy .....

Always have tinned tomatoes in the cupboard ....just so handy ...
Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

Always use tinned tomatoes in bolognaise all add to stews and casseroles. Love them on toast, make simple soups. So quick and easy and cheap.
Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

I do as well Ed, so much easier but I still wouldn't call it 'real' bolognese. The real italian stuff is made with fresh tomatoes.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Fresh plum tomatoes too. I think tinned have more flavour myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

I often use garlic, chilli & herb passatta
Photobucket
Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

Wow, some useful suggestions there, thank you very much!  I hope this time next week I'll be posting again, lamenting having no tins of tomatoes left.

Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

I've heard two or three different chefs saying to use tinned rather than fresh tomatoes in recipes, but I can't remember why now, it could be that fresh are too watery but I'm not sure!!  Woman LOL

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

Hold back a tin or two Mouse. You never know when they could come in handy
Photobucket
Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Gino D'acampo always say that you must use tinned tomatoes and definitely not fresh tomatoes when making arrabiata sauce ...although I do usually add some fresh piccolo tomatoes to mine too as I like the sauce a little bit chunky ...
Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

I managed to pick up a pack of fresh basil reduced!  Into the kitchen tonight, all guns blazing!

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

I just popped into the co-op & the lady was doing the reduced items. I got 6 hot cross buns,a chicken pie, 3 thick pork chops, a bag of new potatoes, 8 Richmond sausages & 2 onions. Total £2.98! 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

Wow!  That'll almost feed you for a week!

Bargain!  Woman LOL

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

It will! lol

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

Blimey Maggie, you did well there.

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

Your good fortune seems to have spread Maggie. 

I just got a Tesco delivery.  Their half shoulder of lamb joints were reduced to £5 a kilo so I ordered two @ £7.50 each. Seems they'd run out because this is what they substituted............................................

leg lamb.JPG

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

WOW!

Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent