Ladies only (obviously) menopause advice

I think I am entering the first stage of the dreaded menopause (boo). I am 47 and for the last 3 months have noticed some changes ie. monthly cycle a bit erratic, waking up clammy with the back of my hair stuck to my head etc I was just wondering if you have any tips on how to deal with it. what worked for you etc. I cannot take HRT as my mother has had breast cancer so the risk is too high. I know everyone is different but a little advice may go a long way for me in the future. I am dreading it. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 55
See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

It's the pits...I carry an old-fashioned fan around...& give meself a quick waft when needed.

Not much in the way of help...I'll be interested in the replies Woman Happy

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 2 of 55
See Most Recent

Going through it myself, have decided against HRT for the same reason,  I have tried allsorts and nothing really works, so I just get on with it, after all it can't last forever can it.  The only real problem I have is the night sweats and hot flushes, horrible but they will go away.

Chin up, I did a thread back last summer and had lots of advise and info, and because nothing seemed to work for me that doesn't mean it wont work for you.

By the way I carry around a thick piece of cardboard when I am at work to use as a fan, the girls laugh at me but their time will come.

Message 3 of 55
See Most Recent

There are supplements you can take but if you have a good herbal remedy /health shop nearby it might help to pop in there for advice.

There is someone who posts on this board, isn't there who knows their stuff on this?

I used Black Cohosh before I even got to the hot flushes etc for about 6 months, maybe less and I sailed through it all.

As my mother did not, I don't think that was a hereditary thing - the BC did make a difference.  But it's not suited to everyone.

I think Red Clover is another that might help as is Agnus Castus and many others.

It's helpful to know what your main condistions are as some things work better with certain issues.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 4 of 55
See Most Recent

You say you're about to go into it, so you don't know yet if you'll have any problems.  I didn't really know what to expect because I hadn't read much about it.  The only  thing I noticed was the odd hot flush but only about two a week for about 1 to 2 minutes at a time.  My periods that had been regular to the hour stopped dead except for one six months later, then it was all over.  I was 45 same as my mum.

Message 5 of 55
See Most Recent

Go here to the Vogel Institute and download the free little leaflet

http://www.avogel.co.uk/information-download/

Vogel suppliments are amongs the best there are.

My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 6 of 55
See Most Recent

I was exactly the same as CG, same age too! I get the odd hot flush, it wakes me up I sit on the edge of the bed, 2 minutes later it's all over and I go back to sleep!

good luck with it though......

Photobucket

Message 7 of 55
See Most Recent

One of the key symptoms
experienced by women as they move
through the menopausal years is a
hot flush. During the day these
cause physical discomfort
and emotional distress,
undermining confidence
and interfering with
social and business activities.

I'm not knocking your leaflet aernethril,   but no wonder women fear the worst when they read things like this!  It's a bit like telling a child they won't like the vegetables you've put on their plate!

Message 8 of 55
See Most Recent

I went to my GP when I started having symptoms, and he was so very helpful. Researched and printed out loads of info for me - I decided on the Black Cohosh and it helped. I was also given info on Red Clover, but found BC good for me. I think my advice would be to go to your GP, and not just make stabs in the dark as to what may or may not be right for you. Some women sail through the menopause, others find it more difficult.

Don't listen to anyone who advises "don't do this, that or the other" OR "do this, that or the other". Just because it was right for them, doesn't mean it's going to be right for you.

(I do find a fan in the bedroom at night and open windows very helpful, though o/h disagrees as he's lying there with chattering teeth and trying to wrap duvets around him, whilst I'm throwing them all off). I find it pretty comfy, tho'

Photobucket

Message 9 of 55
See Most Recent

Sorry, aernthril - I didn't mean to imply your advice wasn't good - it certainly was! I just happened to choose your post for the "reply" option. Your advice was good . . .

Photobucket

Message 10 of 55
See Most Recent

I started with the menopause about 8 years ago and I've not really had any problems apart from the odd hot flush.  I was 48 when I finished my periods and my mum was 50.  I can't have HRT either because of a family history of breast cancer.  Everyone goes through it differently but I hope that anyone about to go through doesn't suffer too much.

Message 11 of 55
See Most Recent

Can't see what's wrong with stating what so many women all too often say they feel.

There's no point stating that going through the menopause can be a bowl of cherries when it all too often isn't and even for some women who do try different supplements or treatments find they still suffer.

Message 12 of 55
See Most Recent

@kiss*my*pixel wrote:

Sorry, aernthril - I didn't mean to imply your advice wasn't good - it certainly was! I just happened to choose your post for the "reply" option. Your advice was good . . .

No probs, pixel - I knew what you meant.

And what you said about what works for one does not mean it will work for all is spot on.  It's a very personal thing and there is so much advice to be had from many sources now - so it gives women much more choice as to how they manage this time of their life best suited to them.

Message 13 of 55
See Most Recent

Thank you all so much. I didn't go into too much detail initially as I wasnt sure if it was appropriate. Another symptom I have is a painful right breast. I found a lump just after christmas and had a mammagram + ultrasound  2 weeks ago, thankfully it was not cancer but the result was 2 small cysts and an enlarged gland which was attributed to hormonal changes, onset of menopause. Its so painul my OH has to hug me on my left side only. I will go to my GP and also look into BC........and buy a fan for them flushes. I guess I have been a bit of an ostrich with my head in the sand till now but its a comfort talking to those who have been and are going through it.  Thank you again

Message 14 of 55
See Most Recent

I'm sure I've seen or read somewhere you can now buy a cooling pad for your bed to help with night flushes,

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 55
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:
I'm sure I've seen or read somewhere you can now buy a cooling pad for your bed to help with night flushes,

Yes you can, they do work, thoug it was my OH who bought one not me lol. 

I have been going through the menopause since I was about 44 I am now 55, still having the odd peiod every six - seven months, so hoping the one just gone is the last but we will see. I have had all kinds of symptons and just muddled through as I too cannot have HRT.

My hot flushes got really unbereable about 2 years ago and I did start to get very emotional which was really allien to me, so I went to my GP and he actually prescribed an antidepressant, one that is used for menopause as well as depression, I have to say I started to feel much better very quickly, it didn't stop the hot flushes but lifted my spirits and I was able to cope better.

Now my hot flushes have all but gone, I only get one occasionally and very mild. So I think I may finally be coming out the other side. If I can go a full 12 months without a period I will say I'm through it.

I wish everyone all the best with it and hope they don't suffer too much, but there is help out there so don't be frightened to ask for it or talk about it. Even if symptons cannot be got rid of you can get help to cope. xxxx

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Hi calibra, the gals have given you good info, I am afraid for the most part it comes down to you and your hormones at the end of the day, you may be lucky or not. 

The fact that you cannot take HRT is not really so bad as TBH they just delay the inevitable.

You can ask your GP to check your FSH levels first, to confirm if you are perimenopausal or not, test may have to be repeated. (* Note: you can still conceive when you are perimenopausal*) 

Things to Try: (use one at a time so you know what works for you)

Black Cohosh (20-60mg x2 daily)  (for use in natural menopause not surgical)

Omega 3/Cod Liver Oil ( gives you Vit A and Vit D) *

Dong Quai  (500-1000mg x2 daily)

Evening Primrose Oil (500mg 3-4 daily)

Ginsing  (100-500mg x3 daily)

Multi-Vitamin * 

Red Clover

Vitamin E

Vitex Agnus Cactus (175mg daily)

Things to Avoid:

Alcohol

Caffeine

Fizzy Drinks

Rushing (take it easy)

Smoking

Diet:

Include whole foods ( brown rice, tofu, soya, almonds & cashews) 

Oily Fish

Fruit

Veg

Yoghurt (live bac)

Things to Do:

Buy a fan 🙂

Keep Hydrated

More Sleep

Pamper Yourself (you deserve it)

Regular Exercise

If you should feel moody, over emotional (for you) tell your GP, as this can also be a symptom you may get, as nugget has said below.

This is a time when you should perhaps drop a gear now and then, you'll still get there in the end.

Message 17 of 55
See Most Recent

I'm 52, going through the peri-menopause too. Hot flushes, night sweats, moods, memory loss, lack of concentration had them the last couple of years.  Periods are still regular though, but I have had flooding three times with them, so embarrasing, had to come home from work one day and went for a day out and had to come home early from that.

The sooner they stop the better, I'm not taking anything for them, just going the natural way, but like people have said everyone is different, what works for one, won't always work for someone else, just a case of trial and error.

Goodluck with whatever you decide onSmiley Happy

Message 18 of 55
See Most Recent

Spicy foods don't help either! Also on the plus side to give yourself a boost, now is the time to start looking at new moisturisers, hair products & makeup.. Dry itchy skin can be a problem so take care of it, it also affects your hair making it dry & brittle. As everyone says it affects people in different ways, don't sit & brood get help, think of it as a new chapter in your life.
I also heard that silk underwear & night wear is helpful especially if you get the night sweats, ( not being cheeky! It is cooling!!. lol.)
Glad to hear your tests were clear.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 55
See Most Recent

Seems like I was lucky.  No hot flushes or sweats.

The only way I knew I had gone through the menopause was that my periods stopped

Must run in families as it was the same for my mum.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 55
See Most Recent