Galleons of Yesteryear

mouse4702
Conversationalist

Does anyone know what that raised sort of deck at the rear of the ship is called?  It's like a separate deck of its own, a few feet higher than the rest of the main deck.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Galleons of Yesteryear

Wel the front would have been called the fore castle - and the captain would be sequestered there, the other end, curiously enough was the stern castle.  I think.  Married to a sailor once,

Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Nobody told me there'd be days like these,
Strange days indeed, strange days indeed,
Most peculiar Mamma.....................................
Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Galleons of Yesteryear

The poop deck. Is that the one you are talking about ?

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Galleons of Yesteryear

You had the forecastle deck, the main deck, the charter deck, the sterncastle deck and finally the poop deck on larger galleons. The poop deck being the highest at the stern.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Galleons of Yesteryear

Here's a safe link to a detailed layout of a Spanish galleon

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=8787841

Oh - I think that may be role playing - hang on a wee mo and I'll have another look.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Galleons of Yesteryear

Still looking, but in anticipation, here's one with an enlargeable pic of what the sails are called as well

https://snakeladylibrarian.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/what-were-reading-matey/

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Galleons of Yesteryear

Thank you all, it was indeed the Poop!

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent