Cats Eating Habits

I have just been wondering, i know i used to give my other cat all sorts of things to eat. She used to love Raw Mince,sometimes a little Liver even the odd Boiled Egg!. I also used to heat Coley Fish in the oven and she used to love that. The Vet told me she was one of the healthiest and looked after Cats they had seen!.

My cat Bubbles has never been given any food really except cat meat and Biscuits so is a bit averse when i offer Turkey Chicken (cooked) or nice Ham. She will eat a little then walk away. I give her some tinned salmon or Sardines too at times.

Is there anything you Cat Lovers feed your cats to tempt them?. It might give me more ideas?. Do they eat any strange things?. Any suggestions?.Cat Happy

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

Cats Eating Habits

The only thing human food wise that I gave to my cat was cooked fish or chicken when I had to get her to take tablets.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

When I was a kid we always used to have cats and one of them in particular had a weak spot for cheese.  If you gave her cheese of any description she'd eat it straightaway.  With the exception of raw meat, any kind of meat would always go down well with all of our cats.  They also used to like fish as well, especially tuna or pilchards.  The only thing that went wrong with our cats choice of food was when one of them caught a toad and tried to eat it.  I think it must have given off some kind of horrible taste as a deterrent to predators trying to eat it - the cat dropped the toad after initially trying to chew it, ran inside and then promptly vomited on the carpet!

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

I know cats are completely different to dogs but I've heard people say their dog won't or can't eat this or that and a change of their particular brand of dog food gives them an upset tummy. 

All the dogs I've ever had basically have dog food, just the one they seem to prefer, plus anything and everything we eat from bacon and eggs to curry, fruit, veg pasta, rice pudding, trifle, you name it, they eat it (and love it) with no ill effects whatsoever.  They've all had long and active lives and hardly ever saw a vet! Woman Happy

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Years ago I had 2 cats who both absolutely LOVED cooked greens. I always made sure I cooked a little extra so they could have some. I had to put it down in two seperate dishes or they would fight over it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

my cat is the most fussy little madam you could meet, she will eat chicken if it's warm but definitely not cold, will have fish from the chippie but not if I cook it ( my cooking isn't that bad) and is unbelievably picky with cat food, yet she will happily catch and eat a mouse, bird or anything else that she can find.

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Ahhhh yes thats another thing i used to give my other cat,,, CHEESE. Only a little but she loved it and i dont think ive tried Bubbles with it. Mmmmm fussy as shes getting into old age thats what it is!!!. Bit like her mother LOL.

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Many moons ago when I was about seven there was no such thing as cat food or dog food.  I remember Mum giving me 6d and sending me round to the local fishmongers for sixpence worth of fish heads.  He used to disappear into the backand come out with a load of scraps which he used to wrap up in newspaper.  Mum then used to simmer it in a frying pan and once it was  cold would draain it and put some of it down for our cat who used to devour it, purring away loudly.  It wasn't until I was about fourteen that tins of cat food or dog food came into their own.  Until then, your cat ate what you ate, and was all the better for it.  

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Cats are notoriously fussy with food in as much that if they don't like the smell they won't even try it,
Minced beef, sardines,kidney, rabbit,

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Now here's something odd - you can buy cat food with pilchard, salmon, chicken liver, beef etc. all except one - porkSmiley Very Happy Why?  It can't be any more expensive to produce than any other cat food.  And why thealmost endless fish varieties.  A cat will eat fish, but it's not its main sourse of food.  How about mouse and sparrow - that should go down a treat!  Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

My cat eats most packet cat food , he prefers the ones in gravy but really loves anything fishy  if we are having prawns we give him a few they are his fav treat 😄

Cats Eating Habits

No reason I don't think , cats are true carnivores but unlike dogs will not eat carrion , they also have a complex vitamin need & a lot of raw meat doesn't contain them so the rule of thumb with most meats is moderation, there was a little argument about feeding raw pork but that has since been dismissed, I do know it's not advisable to feed smoked food,bacon& ham!.

**********Sam**********
Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Ha ha ha ha,,, i think Bubbles would like Squirrel flavour as she looks at them in the trees. Blue Tit Flavour and Magpie or Jackdoor Flavour!!!. Woman LOL

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Some cats seem to like just about anything.  I used to work at a place called Ravenscourt Park Hospital, about a mile from the Hammersmith Flyover in London, before it went bust.  There was a cat called Stamford that belonged to one of the locals and he used to come into the hospital more or less every day and people would often give him stuff to eat, such as ham, fish and cheese, which he'd quickly finish off.  Anyway, one summer day he came in and as it was a hot day I decided to give him something to drink.  I found a breakfast bowl that belonged to my Line Manager - she would often come into work and eat her breakfast first thing and kept a box of cornflakes to one side and some milk in the fridge.  She was widely disliked throughout the hospital, so for a bit of a laugh I got her breakfast bowl, poured some milk into it and gave it to Stamford.  He licked the bowl clean so I wiped it dry with a bit of tissue paper and just put it back where I found it.  The next morning I saw my Line Manager eating her breakfast from it, completely unaware that Stamford had licked that bowl clean the previous afternoon...

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

My mother is 93 and when she was a little girl her uncle had a cats' meat shop selling...............horse meat.

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

i had a cat once that adored fruit cake.    used to pester me until i gave her some.

all the cats i have had loved spag bog and it was funny to see them eat long strands of it and pilchards in tomato sauce

another cat stole a goldfish that a neighbour had put in a bucket whilst doing his pond and ate that.  fortunatly the neighbour never knew and blamed magpies

See my me page if you want to pay some dosh in for Deno and posh
Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

My 2 cats have purina one dried food out all the time, with a small tin of cat food sometimes in the morning just for a change. My neighbours cat comes in as well for a feed in the morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sig can't be bothered.
Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Cats Eating Habits

Mozarts post reminded me of a cat we once had many years ago , that devoured one of next doors homing pigeons fortunately we swept up the feathers before he came home !

Cats Eating Habits

lol.cough, splutter! Oh dear that's sad!. Bursts into uncontrollable giggles once again.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent