coventry.boy
Community Member

if you buy and it says all proceeds go to charity, how do you know they do?

ive seen many auction items, that say all proceeds go to a charity? how can you confirm which charity they will go to? can't the person thats saying the proceeds go to charity keep it for themselves?

regards

h

Please use plain text.
autismawarenessuk
Community Member

Re: if you buy and it says all proceeds go to charity, how do you know they do?

in reply to coventry.boy

Unless the listing has a charity ribbon, there is no way of knowing if the donation has been made.

Only eBay can act on this one and make all charity sales - donations via Missionfish only.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2nd of April UN designated World Wide Autism Awareness Day.

1 in 100 children are on the Autistic Spectrum.
Please use plain text.
pillarboxred
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

It is against eBay's rules to claim a listing is for charity if it does not display the ribbon in the correct place. A genuine charity listing will appear in the search return when you tick the Charity Listings button. Report ones which don't.

A genuine charity listing will deduct the declared percentage when you pay with PayPal.

Of course, the item you are looking for might not be available in a charity listing.

Please use plain text.
pillarboxred
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

I think you report listings purporting to be for charity but not listed with the ribbon  as "misleading title".  The title view should display the ribbon, but it does not, so the title conflicts with the description which makes the charitable claim.

I might be mistaken about this.

Please use plain text.
emictool
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

I also wonder about it. Maybe eBay has special article about the charity.

www.emic-tool.com
Please use plain text.
yesnomaybeyes
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

You know, I don't mind donating to charities, really I don't.

What I do mind however, is that if you use the 'Sell a similar item' option and forget that the charity donation is in place from a previous sale, and you 'list', you cannot go back and edit the charity button!!!!!!!! You're locked in!

Also, I've had loads of non-payers, yet my charity donation still gets taken!? Yes, there is a long and convoluted process to safeguard against that happening, but it's making me not want to donate!

Regards.

Please use plain text.
oz_in_ohio
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

You know what mate....You are not alone....I personally think that the person selling the product should also supply a picture of the receipt no matter how hard it is so the person that has bought the item can clearly say they got the receipt in these rooms for everone to see......It is as simple as that.......

Please use plain text.
oz_in_ohio
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

Suggest a receit be issued by the seller and make sure there is letterhead and signed by someone high in the association in case you ring up and want proof....

Please use plain text.
splodgums
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

You could ask the seller if you can make your payment direct to the, maybe by paying by cheque sent to the seller for them to pass on. You could even offer to make a gift aid declaration for the charity as well, increasing the value of the donation (you can print off a generic form from the HMRC website and fill in the charity details, or most charities will have one downloadable from their website). You could even offer to send the postage as a separate payment to the seller.

I have sold for charities, with and without the 'ribbon'. I'm always happy to accept payment made out to the charity, personally I don't bother getting my postage costs back but I feel that any genuine charity seller would be happy to go along with this payment method. If they are closely involved with the charity they may be able to arrange for you to pay direct to the charity paypal or bank account (as long as someone will let them know that you have paid, so they know when to send the item).

There are disadvantages to selling through missionfish for some people; if you are not able to do a gift aid declaration (eg very low income, hence not a taxpayer) the fees mean that the charity receives less than the invoice amount. There is a minimum donation which used to be quite high and some sellers would end up paying more than they had earned, some people were put off by that and may not know that there have been changes.

Some smaller charitable organisations and good causes may not be registered with the charity commission (minimum £5,000 income pa before groups can register) or with HMRC Charities, therefore can't register with ebay for charity.

Please don't just report all non-ribbon 'charity' auctions that you see! Some are definitely ok and have been agreed with ebay, but you could ruin a months fund raising for someone by the time they sorted it out. There is a group called the Monthly Daft Charity Coalition who raise money each month for their favourite good causes, many without a ribbon for the reasons mentioned above. We list up to 5 items each on the last Sunday of the month for our favourite good causes, ending the following sunday, with 'MDCC' in the title (without the '') to make them easily searchable. They are running at the moment, ending this sunday (5th June), so you could give it a try! We chat on the Family Homes & Gardens and Round Table, and have permission to promote our auctions on these threads (not usually allowed in the chat boards) - it is all very lighthearted and a good laugh, and we try to give payment options that allow you to pay the charity or get a receipt.

I would be suspicious of a seller who objected to the 2-cheque method mentioned above (postage to seller, item amount to charity), there is no reason they should object unless they are dodgy.

Please use plain text.
zeranis
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

You can not be sure that they do but you can ask the seller to provide details and some proff. We are selling items for charity and this is not done through Ebay as our charity is not listed, also, as someone stated, Moonfish do take a small amount. We have been asked to provide proof and we really do not mind, we have given them the link to the website and even sent pictures through the post to people. If the sellers for charity are genuine, they wont mind doing this, we don't.

ive seen many auction items, that say all proceeds go to a charity? how can you confirm which charity they will go to? can't the person thats saying the proceeds go to charity keep it for themselves?

regards

h

Please use plain text.
kawasaki_gpz900_r
Community Member

in reply to coventry.boy

how can you confirm which charity they will go to? can't the person thats saying the proceeds go to charity keep it for themselves?

It would say in the listing, giving the percentage going to charity.

Also, it would have the looped ribbon symbol in the listing. The money would be taken from the sellers PayPal account automatically.

If there's no ribbon, then you've only their word.

Please use plain text.