Community Newcomer
Why do sellers bother to offer a 'Best Offer' option and then completely ignore an offer

It is pointless for a seller to offer a 'Best Offer' option and then ignore any offers put forward from buyers, presumably sellers are holding out for the price they want.....if so why bother to include the option? I have made several reasonable offers recently on various items, all of which have been ignored.  If the offer is not acceptable, just respond! So rude.

Other Answers: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to claire3756

sellers who use the ap have no choice in the matter,

ebay have made best offer compulsory,

most sellers don't want to offer it, but can't remove it when creating the listing!

some don't even realise it is there so think 'offers' they receive are some how 'dodgy' so they just ignore them.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to claire3756
Not rude at all. Sellers have had it forced on them by having no option other than 30 days with best offer. As they don't want it the only way to deal with it is to decline any offers.

Ebay change the rules without any consultation, and the alternative "Advanced Listing" private sellers are told is not suitable and is for Business Sellers. As with many things on Ebay, sellers have to learn to ignore useless "advice".

If I had a reasonable offer I would accept rather than have a No Sale as so many are now.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to claire3756

Because, if they use Ebay's quick listing tool, Best Offer is automatically selected as an option and there ius no facility to switch it off.  They have to use the advanced lsting tool to list without Best Offer - many sellers don't realise that, many sellers don't even realise the Best Offer option has been selected.