Answer
greenmegh
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How can I send a seller my email address?

A seller has agreed to make a slightly different version of a necklace he has on eBay for me. We have agreed the price. He says he doesn't have a picture to put on eBay (not made yet, presumably), but will raise an invoice on PayPal so that I can pay. He asked for my email address to send the invoice. I had an online chat session with eBay to check that that was OK and she said it was fine to do that and the only way he could send me the invoice. However, when I tried to give my email address in a message to the seller, the message was blocked. I don't know to how to pay for the item.

Accepted Solution
cflo62752
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

they should really list it,

could you not purchase the similar item but they send the custom one?

otherwise I presume they are registered as a business seller? if so they may have an email address as part of their contact details or written in the listing description.

Other Answers: 5
greenmegh
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

Thanks for your prompt help & suggestions. I wasn't able to get his email address, so I followed the advice of cflo... and "bought" an item at the same price, after having first checked with the seller.that it would be OK. I made it very clear in my message to the seller what I had done and, as far as I am aware, the necklace I want is on its way from China. If I don't post another comment, it worked.

red_magpie
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

EBay customer support must have lost the plot to tell you that it was okay for the seller to send you an invoice by email to pay by PayPal. That's an "off eBay" transaction which they're trying so hard to prevent! This is why eBay's messaging system is  now programmed to recognise and block email addresses.

What they should have told you is to ask the seller to list it on eBay as a "buy now" and tell you when he's doing this. However as it takes some hours for listings to appear there's no guarantee you will be the first to see it!

EBay stupidly withdrew the facility which one existed to list something for sale to one, named buyer. So as the item hasn't even been listed on eBay I don't think eBay has anything to complain about if you prefer to arrange a private sale, if you can find a way to communicate your email address.

If you do pay privately through PayPal you will not have eBay buyer protection. You should have PayPal buyer protection provided you mark the transaction as "goods".

burslempot
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

They list it > You buy it > You pay for it...

That's how eBay works...

topcat83
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

email address are not allowed to be sent now in case of outside ebay deal

was changed a few weeks back

I think the seller may still have an option to  customise my ebay to show email address

suggest they try that

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

burslempot
Community Member
Answered
in reply to greenmegh

"EBay customer support must have lost the plot"

That's assuming they were ever in possession of it..

Doubtful...