Answer
jay-may2007
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Faulty Electrical Equipment Bought, What Should I Do?

I bought 2 cd decks, one of them is working fine but the other has a loud buzzing noise coming from the inside and a bright spark from the bottom of the deck when the power button is pressed, which suggests that the electrics are faulty. The LCD display is also less clear than the display on the other deck. Also the deck turns itself off and on, albeit infrequently, which affects the performance.

The seller claims that both decks were tested and serviced before he sold them and I have no reason to believe he is lying as there is a sticker on the side of both to say they have recently passed an electrical test.  The seller claims he was not aware of these problems and so far he has suggested trying different cables but this has not worked.  It is clearly coming from inside the deck and therefore nothing to do with the power supply.

There is a no returns policy from the seller, but as these problems were not described when I bought the item I hope to either:

1. Return both decks for full refund.

2. Return faulty deck for half my money back.

or 3. Get it repaired and bill the seller for the repair.

What would be the correct procedure involved to get this sorted?

Do I sort it out with the seller and hope that he agrees to one of these options? Or do I contact eBay to open a case first?

Accepted Solutions: 2
**peaseblossom**
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007

You are entitled to full refund.   Ask the seller first.  If they agree you need proof of return, ie. trackable postage/courier.

If they refuse if you paid using Paypal file a dispute here:

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

Select:  "I received an item that does not match the seller's description."

And escalate it to a claim after 8 days.

julie19090_0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007

No returns doesn't mean anything if an item is faulty.

I do hope you paid with paypal and had the items delivered to you.

You have zero buyer protection on collection items paid in cash and limited buyer protection on collection items paid for by paypal.

Put your suggestions to the seller.

However, if he agrees to 2) or 3) and then later renages on the agreement you will find it impossible to then get your money back via ebay.

I would suggest you stick with 1).

You must return both decks by an online trackable method, which will be at your own expense. You should then get a refund of your full original payment.

If the seller refuses to help or accepts the decks back and then fails to refund, then you can open a dispute.

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

You have 45 days from payment in which to open a dispute so don't let that time line pass you by.

The ultimate aim of a dispute is for the items to be returned and a full refund of the priginal payment given. You need an online tracking number for the dispute to prove delivery/attempted delivery to the seller. Hence partial returns or repair bills don't fit the format of a dispute and you could well lose. You would definitely lose the repair bill claim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growing old disgracefully.
Other Answers: 4
julie19090_0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007

He must refund your original postage cost, but not the return postage.

Contact him and remind him that according to ebay rules you are entitled to a full refund of your original payment.

If he refuses then you can still open a dispute to claim the remainder of your money. You will need an online tracking number to prove return - I hope you have one.

Also remember the 45 day time limit on opening a dispute. These situations have a habit of dragging on and suddenly you are out of time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growing old disgracefully.
jay-may2007
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007
Update, I have now returned the decks and the seller has offered a refund, but only the money I originally paid for the goods. Am I not entitled to the £30 delivery charge I paid him also? I obviously had to pay to send the items back to him which leaves me about £40 out of pocket for an item that couldnt be used. Will I just need to take the hit or can I get the £30 back as well?
jay-may2007
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007

Thank you both for your help, this clears everything up.  I will ask for a full refund as this offers more protection. Luckily I paid through PayPal and they were delivered.

Thanks again!

jay-may2007
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jay-may2007
Ok thanks for your help, I do have a tracking number and a signature to prove receipt of return. Will keep close tabs on this and raise a case with eBay in the next week if I have not had a full refund.