missnearlyvintage
Community Member

Item not as described, return postage cost issues - help please!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the forums so be gentle please. 

I won an item on ebay, and paid through paypal. I then received the item but it was not as described and so I contacted the seller who told me to return the item if I was not happy with it. As the fault was with the seller I asked whether I would get reimbursed for the return postage costs I would incur returning the item, and the seller agreed by ebay message that she would reimburse me the return postage cost.

About five days ago I received a refund for the item and original postage cost after returning it, but I did not receive the money for return postage and I have emailed the seller twice about this now with no reply. 

Please can anyone let me know what I can do to get this postage cost reimbursed as the postage cost was quite expensive compared to the item I bought and the seller did agree to reimburse me. 

Thanks very much for your help. I would ring customer services but can't at present as my Son is sleeping next to me... 

I hope someone can help soon please!

Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

Re: Item not as described, return postage cost issues - help please!

in reply to missnearlyvintage

Unfortunately eBay cannot force the seller to refund the return postage and this remains one of the big problem issues.

Was it a private or business seller?

I think, unless someone else knows any different, that this is when it comes down to how far you are prepared to try and recover that loss.

If it was a business seller, you could let them know that they are obliged to refund your return postage costs by law for a defective item that was returned to them and that you'll be reporting the matter to your local trading standards and seeking help to recover the outstanding amount.

If it's a private seller, none of this will apply. You could try pulling their contact info and talking to them, but you will have no proof of what was agreed if they still will not refund.

So then, you're looking at making a claim through the small claims court, which can be done, but you'd need to research and satisfy yourself you'd be prepared to do this.

You'd need all the messages and item printed off and to send a letter before action by SF (old RD) to give them time to refund before starting a case and adding the court fees to the claim.

You'd also need to weigh up how likely you are to get the refund paid in full if you win the case, as the seller could pay very slowly, not pay at all etc.

********************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

[ Edited ]

missnearlyvintage wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the forums so be gentle please. 

I won an item on ebay, and paid through paypal. I then received the item but it was not as described and so I contacted the seller who told me to return the item if I was not happy with it. As the fault was with the seller I asked whether I would get reimbursed for the return postage costs I would incur returning the item, and the seller agreed by ebay message that she would reimburse me the return postage cost.

About five days ago I received a refund for the item and original postage cost after returning it, but I did not receive the money for return postage and I have emailed the seller twice about this now with no reply. 

Please can anyone let me know what I can do to get this postage cost reimbursed as the postage cost was quite expensive compared to the item I bought and the seller did agree to reimburse me. 

Thanks very much for your help. I would ring customer services but can't at present as my Son is sleeping next to me... 

I hope someone can help soothn please!

It is to be hoped that you didn't mention feedback in your requests for the promised payment, because no matter how much you are in the right, that would be feedback extortion, and would result in removal of the feedback if he reports it.

Most often a clear, firm but polite indication that as the fault was his, you expect return postage, will result in the seller refunding it. It is the awareness of that likely but unthreatened neg that makes them do it. But he isn't giving way. Just possibly he is genuinely sick or away somewhere, though he started out trying you with a refund of your initial payment alone. Maybe, too, he is trying to entrap you into the feedback-for-refund attempt he needs.

I don't think eBay will give you any more than they would if you had opened a SNAD complaint, and that would only have been your initial payment, with return at your expense first. About all you can do is leave carefully composed negative feedback, and hope that he will make the refund in the hope of having it revised. If he tries to firm you up on that deal, revision for refund, don't report him - yet.  Point out to him that you won't be trapped into feedback extortion, and you don't believe in finalising feedback until you know the final outcome... He may well offer a revision, and you don't have to keep a deal you didn't make. Then report the feedback extortion.

Please use plain text.
missnearlyvintage
Community Member

in reply to gallovidian

Hi, 

Thanks very much for the replies. 

In both of my emails following the refund payment, (which did not include the return postage as agreed), or in any about the item nt being as described, I have not mentioned anything about potential negative feedback. Since the incomplete refund more reminder than anything else I have sent a message saying that the return postage wasn't paid as agreed, and in the second message more firmly that we did agree for it to be refunded and that I would like to have contact with the seller ASAP and for the postage cost to be paid without delay.

I still haven't had anything back from the seller. 

So, I propose from the information given by both of your comments which I'm very grateful for, that I A) Leave another message with the seller by Ebay message stating the information that he/she is in the wrong for not providing the return postage refund thus far as we had agreed it. Also stating that it  is what I expect as the item would not have had to be returned if it had of been as described and the seller is in the wrong for advertising it with false details in the first place.

Followed up if I do not receive a reply with B) Some negative feedback stating something like 'Item not as described, and refund for return postage promised but not given'.

Is that the right way to go about things?

The amount is too small to go to claims court with I think, and I don't think I could handle the stress of that as this is causing me enough as it is.  I will definately be more weary next time as I thought I would be covered atleast partially because of the message I have from the seller agreeing to provide the return postage cost but we live and learn I suppose.

Thanks again everyone. I'd never used these forums before but will definately start doing so if I have any queries as they're great.

Please use plain text.
missnearlyvintage
Community Member

in reply to aernethril
Hi, It was a private seller and not for an awful lot of money so I don't think small claims is an option really. If only for the sake of my nerves! Thanks for your reply, you've given some very useful information.
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Sometimes the more reluctant you are to do something, the more you should act like you don't care if you do or you don't. People are quick to detect bluff, though. One possibility for planting uncertainty in a potential adversary's mind about facing legal action, is just to ask him in writing to confirm anything that is just slightly unclear. Think bloody-minded and you will sound it, and he isn't going to enjoy even the irrational kind of litigiousness you are actually going to avoid.

Please use plain text.
cfgf2003
Community Member

hi im having the same issue! i ordered 3 jumpers from the same seller i won them through auction. when they cam they were not as described! 1 was the wrong colour and they all were not sized correctly i was told they were 16/18 but were XL and huge. i contacted them and the eventually said return and i made it clear i wanted a full refund inc return postage as they were not as described and one was the wrong colour. they agreed i paid for the postage and returned them. 

i then had to contact them several times requesting to know if they had received them and had proof of postage if not! and can i have my refund please! they eventually answered and after another request they refunded the original postage and cost. Im now on to them for the refund for the postage for returning the 3 jumpers. they promised to refund me yesterday after several messages through ebay. they have now gone silent!

I have now sent them an invoice requesting the refund from paypal! they are traiding as 2 different stores from what i can see on ebay. 

Im starting to loose faith in buying and selling on ebay because i keep getting the buyers and sellers who just seem to be able to do as they please while the rest of us follow the rules!

Please use plain text.
anybargen
Community Member

There is nothing much you can do other than leave Negative Feedback. Are they a Business Seller? If so you can report them to their local Trading Standards. Read the excellent advise from Gallvidian above.
Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to cfgf2003
I can't see the jumpers in your buying history, but were there measurements in the listing? Or did the listing just say 16/18?

I have found since reducing my dress size considerably, that a 16 can be a large, or XL and sometimes a medium. I have even come across an 18 being a large - this would probably swim on me now, but a medium would be a good fit, so go figure what size I really am lol

Unfortunately, you are doubtfully, going to get a refund. your proof of posting means nothing here, you must prove delivery or an attempted one at the least. You made a fatal error with ebay returns in not sending signed for
They won't pay your invoice because they don't have your jumpers - or at least, you cannot prove they have
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please use plain text.