Highlighted
Community Newcomer

EBay's fault or the Seller?

I was close to closing my account with Ebay after having trouble with a seller.

My order never came and the seller ignored my emails, i then had to invole Ebay to get my refund after 20ish days of hassle and stress.

I fully understand and accept that these types of transactions happen from time to time but what i dont understand is why sellers consistently get away with doing this?

I looked at the sellers negitive ratings and saw that something like 90% of his negs were from people having the same trouble, their item not turning up and then having to get a refund via Ebay, something the seller could fix in a short time IF they cared about the buyer but why would the seller care if Ebay doesnt?

They're fairweather sellers that i believe need Ebay more than Ebay needs them, so why do they keep getting away with the same offence?.

Community Member

Re: EBay's fault or the Seller?

in reply to hawleyhawley

why?

because buyers don't read the feedback before they buy!

if you had read his feedback first would you have purchased from him?

feedback is there for buyers to make their own minds up as to whether to risk buying from a seller.

Community Newcomer

in reply to pixiesen2012

The seller had an 97% positive feedback so i was happy, my point is after a closer look most of the 3% was for the same offence, not carring when the deal goes wrong.

Shouldnt the feedback also be there to help Ebay understand the kind of sellers on their site, so they can better guide them to higher standards?

Community Member

in reply to hawleyhawley

97% is a pretty low rating unless the seller has literally one Neg in 30 or so total transactions but that doesnt sound as if its the case here.

Thats a negative feedback ratio of 1 in every 30 transactions - doesnt sound like somebody I would buy from tbh.

Ebay dont "guide" so much as simply stop you selling if your rating gets too bad (unless you are one of the big boys of course).

Community Newcomer

in reply to double_o_heaven

yea sounds about right. Thanks

Funny how some blame the lack of reading the ratings, like them righteous ones read all the terms and conditions before using Google, Paypal ,Ebay etcSmiley Wink

I'm more laymans and trust more towards the company brand, lesson learnt with Ebay..

Community Member

in reply to hawleyhawley

97% in ebay land is very poor,

anything below 99.4% is regarded as dodgy,

you really need to read feedback before you purchase, that's what it is for.

and ebay do restrict sellers when their feedback and defect rates reach a certain level,

but buyers have to take some responsiblity for themselves.

Community Member

double_o_heaven wrote:

97% is a pretty low rating unless the seller has literally one Neg in 30 or so total transactions but that doesnt sound as if its the case here.

This is a very significant point. 0ne neg in 30 could be due to an act of God or a warped buyer (if I don't repeat myself), but 1000 in 30000 is hard evidence. The Money Back Guarantee is so reliable that I don't actively seek specially high  feedback scores to buy or watch. But there is nobody in my long watch list with less than 99.4%.

There are other signs to search for, if your purchase is expensive or in a risky category, like smartphones. There are the comments, of course, and revisions. He could be buying revisions with bribes. He could be buying a lot more than he sells, and they could be single paperclips for 99p each. Although you can't see that in his feedback profile, you can see in his sellers' what they have been selling. Has he recommenced eBaying after a long period of inactivity? Do his terms and conditions violate any policies, and does he seem paranoid about bad buyers? Just because a person is paranoid doesn't mean he hasn't been earning enemies.

In particular, has there been a sudden increase in his bad feedback in the last few weeks? Even some sellers who have behaved correctly for years, sometimes precede giving up eBay by treating their account like a racehorse heading for a new career in the petfood industry.

eBay sellers are self-selected, and include some who are profoundly unsuited to business. That isn't all bad. It describes some excellent craftsmen, collectors etc. with marvellous items, and perhaps even an absent-minded professor or two, as well as the incompetents and parasites. But people put in touch with such a selection of humanity need protection, and if any other site site is doing it as well as eBay, it is doing it by stricter controls on becoming a seller.

Community Member

in reply to hawleyhawley

yea sounds about right. Thanks

Funny how some blame the lack of reading the ratings, like them righteous ones read all the terms and conditions before using Google, Paypal ,Ebay etcWoman Wink

I'm more laymans and trust more towards the company brand, lesson learnt with Ebay.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm definitely a layperson and I don't read small print but I always read a seller's feedback before I buy. I also read a buyer's feedback left for others whenever I sell so that I can adjust the way I deal with the sale if necessary.

**********************************************************************************************
Please....register as an organ donor
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/register-your-details/
Community Newcomer

in reply to pixiesen2012

I never thought of 97% as being poor rating until this thread. Maybe if there was a clear warning on Ebay warning that 97% is very poor etc, might help buyers be more aware and also put the sellers on public notice.

To say buyers should "read" sellers ratings is hiding behind terms and conditions that no one ever reads but should.

If im buying an £20 iterm that 30 sellers are selling, I wont be reading all their feedback then way up who has best rating and cheapest price etc.

pixiesen2012:  You say "ebay do restrict sellers when their feedback and defect rates reach a certain level" but they dont when they have 97% that you consisder is "very poor". This was my point from the startSmiley Wink.

Anyhow lesson learnt, thanks to all for your help in this tread.

Community Member

in reply to hawleyhawley

hawleyhawley wrote:

I never thought of 97% as being poor rating until this thread. Maybe if there was a clear warning on Ebay warning that 97% is very poor etc, might help buyers be more aware and also put the sellers on public notice.

To say buyers should "read" sellers ratings is hiding behind terms and conditions that no one ever reads but should.

If im buying an £20 iterm that 30 sellers are selling, I wont be reading all their feedback then way up who has best rating and cheapest price etc.

pixiesen2012:  You say "ebay do restrict sellers when their feedback and defect rates reach a certain level" but they dont when they have 97% that you consisder is "very poor". This was my point from the startSmiley Wink.

Its still a damn sight better than B&M businesses have on the problem side .
Imagine if everytime Morrisons overcharged you on a sale item you could paste a poster with your negative comment at the shop front door - No one would go within five miles of it within a week

It also depends on the market they sell in - if they are Amazon sellers too , their feedback would , I Imagine be much better as they are less tolerant of the adversarial outcome ebay tend to force upon us 
they might also have just had ONE bad day whan a bag of mail went astray containing 20 parcels - say half of them dont complain - just neg him as its a 99p item and not worth a song and dance about it - thats 400 sales to bring it back up above 97%.

I had one buyer want to give me FIVE negs on a multiple purchase because of one aspect he wasnt happy about on ONE item

the old that'l teach em tactic .
 he was only allowed to leave one , but if he had bought them all individually he could have done all five and maybe . killed my account stone dead - and do I look like the sort of unreliable seller we are talking of ?
But saying that - 97% would get me looking it up before I bought off them even If I wanted the item

Its never JUST black or white on here - but you need to know what to look for , not just as a buyer , but , as a seller too

I work for N.A.S.A
but
Its not rocket science
Community Member

in reply to hawleyhawley

hawleyhawley wrote:

There used to be a general rule on eBay that - for sellers with lots of feedback - anyone with below 95% got punished by eBay.  So 97% is halfway to being banned.

Obviously this only applies to sellers with quite a lot of feedback - if you only sell 5 items, and one of the buyers leaves you bad feedback, you'd have an 80% feedback rating - but you mightn't be a bad seller, just an unlucky one who'd met a scammer or nightmare buyer early on.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Community Member

in reply to cockneydevil

cockneydevil wrote:

hawleyhawley wrote:

Its still a damn sight better than B&M businesses have on the problem side .
Imagine if everytime Morrisons overcharged you on a sale item you could paste a poster with your negative comment at the shop front door - No one would go within five miles of it within a week

It also depends on the market they sell in - if they are Amazon sellers too , their feedback would , I Imagine be much better as they are less tolerant of the adversarial outcome ebay tend to force upon us 
they might also have just had ONE bad day whan a bag of mail went astray containing 20 parcels - say half of them dont complain - just neg him as its a 99p item and not worth a song and dance about it - thats 400 sales to bring it back up above 97%.

I had one buyer want to give me FIVE negs on a multiple purchase because of one aspect he wasnt happy about on ONE item

the old that'l teach em tactic .
 he was only allowed to leave one , but if he had bought them all individually he could have done all five and maybe . killed my account stone dead - and do I look like the sort of unreliable seller we are talking of ?
But saying that - 97% would get me looking it up before I bought off them even If I wanted the item

Its never JUST black or white on here - but you need to know what to look for , not just as a buyer , but , as a seller too

The  Seller Performance Standards policy has numerous safeguards you don't mention, and if a buyer makes many  purchases from yoou in one eBay week, even if  they are all unsatisfactory, they can only affect your feedback score as one would do.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html