Community Member

ebay neighbourhood

I have received an invitation to join this scheme, on my private account.  It stating that if I sell an item on behalf of another person I can make UP to 40% profit. But surely, Ebay are breaking their own rules with this...it would mean that I am acting as a reseller and I am selling an item which is not my own - this contradicts the rules on personal accounts does it not?

Community Member

Re: ebay neighbourhood

in reply to chavfacechavella

Its similar to the Trading Assistant thing:-

https://neighbourhood.ebay.co.uk/

Not sure why you have been invited on your private account unless it is as a buyer.  Anyone selling on a commission basis is in business and my understanding was that only business sellers should receive invitations to participate but I am open to correction on this one.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Community Member

in reply to norseway53

this scheme is aimed at private sellers selling for other private individuals, breaking all rules about selling for profit!

Community Newcomer

in reply to pixiesen2012

if owner gets 60% and seller gets 40%, who pays the ebay charges?

Community Newcomer

[ Edited ]
in reply to ibay-user-id

i have just started ebay neighbourhood selling and so far ive had a few people have dropped off  their items to me, the fees come out of our 40% comission which i suppose we wouldnt get anything if we didnt accept other peoples items but i would be careful accepting goods as i do not want to become a clothing bank lol, il let you lot know how i get on, if anyone has had any good experiences let me know as the ebay neighbourhood is currently a beta test seeing if it works 

Community Member

in reply to pixiesen2012

pixiesen2012 wrote:

this scheme is aimed at private sellers selling for other private individuals, breaking all rules about selling for profit!

Image result for unbelievable jeff

Community Member

in reply to ibay-user-id

Who pays the refund after the buyer decides 3 weeks later that they don't want it any more or it's not quite the same colour as was shown in the photo or it's broken?  Presumably by this time the ebay seller's already paid the money to the loft-clearer.

Community Newcomer

You are responsible for fully checking the items and you list the item as if it's your own, I havnt had any buyers wanting a return because I list to full specs and I do true photos I only use stock photos if the item is new and in packaging so generally there shouldn't be any problems
Community Member

in reply to makercraft28

You clearly haven't sold very much then.

Things break, or they're incompatible, or not as the buyer thought, the list goes on.  There are lots of reasons why things get refunded, even a long time down the road.

If you were acting as a business in selling your cooker as an agent for someone else then you, as the seller, would be responsible for it being as described and fit for purpose.  These rights don't end the minute it gets delivered - they continue for months or years, even on used items.  If it breaks in some major way after you've paid out to the person you're selling on behalf of then you are potentially exposed to paying a 100% refund despite getting a much lower percentage of the original price.

I'm not saying this is a show-stopper, but it must at least be worked into the calculations.  It's actually pretty much how I work - I buy distress/clearance stock, so I have no comeback to my suppliers.  But I work in a good chunk of profit to cover this kind of thing.  I just hope that anyone doing the sums to run a business like this is doing likewise.

Community Newcomer

I'm quite happy with my sales and I sell an item every 2 days it helps clears the house, so my idea was I could help other people by the use of the neighbourhood but I understand where you are coming from but ebay havnt explained what would happen in these scenarios, just not everything has to be negative
Community Member

in reply to makercraft28

Why on earth would anyone want to do this?????????????????????????????  dizzy face

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to makercraft28

I didn't say it made it universally bad, just something that needs to be thought about.  It's easy maths to work out how much you pay ebay and postage, therefore some may think that if you charge a bit more you'll make money.  I'm just saying there are other factors to work in, some of which are unknowns.

Also, if you're earning money from selling other people's stuff then you are running a business.  If ebay's happy for you to do this through a "Private" account then that's up to them, but be aware that you must register as a business with HMRC and pay tax on your earnings.  You are also legally required to accept change-of-mind returns for up to 14 days.

There's also the aspect of product liability.  If you sell an electrical item for someone else and it catches fire and burns someone's house down, who is responsible?  You, as a seller, could be liable.  If selling as a sole trader or unregistered as a business then you could be responsible for the cost of rebuilding someone's house and buying all new contents.  Ultimately, you could have all your money and assets seized by a court if you don't pay, leaving you bankrupt.  This is why some charity shops don't touch electricals and those who do usually have them inspected and PAT tested them at least.  It's not just electricals though, all products have potential liability.

All I'm saying is to have your eyes open, do your research and don't rely on ebay's advice that it's easy to earn money without considering the risks.  They would say it's easy, as they take their cut but would not provide any support if anything goes wrong.  A seller can't do this, as you can't pass on legal responsibility to the item's owner, as you would be the seller.

Community Member

in reply to rightgrand

rightgrand wrote:

Things break, or they're incompatible, or not as the buyer thought, the list goes on.  There are lots of reasons why things get refunded, even a long time down the road.

'The chain was too loud....' INAD

From that day forward, I never underestimate the creativity of buyers to justify a return that's our fault.

Community Member

Hi,

I beg of you, get in touch with ebay & report this to ebay & PayPal immediately.

For this is one of the most infamous & long running scams on ebay, & has broken the hearts of & cost naive, innocent, usually newish ebay sellers thousands, with NO I repeat NO protection from ebay or PayPal.

The usually charming guy chats to you on the phone or via mail, or skype, he tells you that (for what ever reason) he can not sell on ebay, but that he has a truck load of (say) Microwaves or similar to sale.  He tells you that if you sell on his behalf through your ebay account that he will pay you around 30% of the sale price, that you will not need to hold the items, but after you have sold something he will ship for you & you then send him the (say) £70 of the £100 microwave. So in essence he tells you he has shipped, & you then send him the payment less your 30%.

All goes well & you get left glowing feedback, (at first this is usually the same guy who bought the item)........confident & feeling richer you will then sell a few more items for him...all goes well, ..you feel that he is a friend & the next thing you know you have a small mountain of items listed for him.  Then out of the blue a ligit buyer gets in touch telling you he has not received his microwave.....you reach out to the guy who "has" them, he may wait a few days to reply & will then tell you he had to go abroad, his dog died, his mum is in hospital, etc etc, but not to worry he will send it as soon as he can.....then one after one more buyers claim non reciept or he may have sent them dud items & you will have SNADs opened up.    

Then you can no longer contact him by phone & your emails to him are unanswered.    The next thing you know you are in debt to PayPal for what could be £1,000s, & this will be YOUR debt, you will owe the money to the buyers, ebay will refund them & then chase you through the courts for the monet, DO NOT touch this........you will be protected by no-one

Community Member

Hang on, I have just described one of the most shamefull scams on ebay, & after having just read all the messages here, are you are telling me that it is ebay who encouraging sellers to sell on behalf of others???? I am dumbstruck.
Community Member

in reply to sam_in_barbate

Yep - because, after the seller has been conned and the buyer's house has burnt down due to the dodgy electricals, ebay gets to keep its FVF and can just walk away from the wreckage with no comeback.

Community Newcomer

Has anyone thought of not accepting electricals, and maybe taking on ornaments and furniture!
Community Member

in reply to makercraft28

Ornaments:  Has a chip or crack in it.  Not quite the same colour as in the picture.  I've just found out it's a fake.

Furniture:  Has broken

There's nothing that you'd never get comeback from.

Community Newcomer

You can refuse items, local people bring you the items you can sort through and say no, or if you don't want to become a charity shop go and see the items on your own terms, you can't say everyone's items are useless. Same as I said ebay are beta testing this idea so if it clearly dont work the neighbourhood won't be running
Community Member

in reply to makercraft28

What I'm saying is that it could easily work for ebay while sellers make nothing or lose money.  They always get their cut and never get any comeback so they're bound to think it's a good idea.

There have been companies that have flogged other peoples' stuff for years, so it's nothing new.  If you think it's a good idea do your own research - just be aware that ebay can walk away from whatever disasters happen but you can't.

Every seller takes risks every day in selling anything.  But the risk of selling someone else's stuff is that you could be getting all the risk for just a cut of the profit.  Plus old tat out of someone's loft will have way more defects than probably anything else you could sell.  Meanwhile ebay and the seller take almost no risk.