Community Member

Re: ebay neighbourhood

in reply to makercraft28
Mybe I am missing something here, but what right minded seller would want to 'invite' complete strangers into their homes?...
A few years back I tried selling on behalf of others, & it was a nightmare, they always believed their items were worth more than I could get for them, refused to believe that their 1950s brass lamp is not a priceless antique, & the one or two items I did sell, (on a 10% sales fee) had me jumping through hoops after explaining to buyers that ebay & Paypal took 15%...As I write I am looking at a huge damaged Malachite ashtray I have been asked to sell....so watch this space LOL
Community Member

in reply to sam_in_barbate

I just don't think most potential loft-emptyees would appreciate just how expensive selling on ebay is for starters - ebay and paypal are going to take up to or even just over 20%, depending on value.  If you want to actually earn some money you'll want 20% on top, in fact I'd say probably 30% to cover packaging, losses and refunds.  I can't imagine any SellYourStuff company's customers being particularly happy about paying 50% commission, but it's probably the amount you'd need to charge to make it worth bothering with.

Most sellers don't sell someone else's stuff but buy and sell - i.e. pay one price and sell for another.  That is, in a nutshell, a definition of retailing.  I generally aim for the worst case to be doubling my money - i.e. pay £5 and sell for £10 plus p&p, which is roughly £13 with free p&p for a small parcel allowing for ebay's take from the postage element.  This may sound greedy at first, but you've got to allow for the fact that ebay and paypal will take £2 from that £10, leaving you with £3 profit.  The nature of my stock and suppliers is that I have no comeback for faults and damaged goods, so I have to cover a certain proportion of this, so 30% profit is not excessive.

Nobody wants to be a busy fool - i.e. big turnover, tiny profits.  Some end up that way by accident, but I'd certainly not plan to become one by selling someone else's stuff for next to nothing.

Community Member

in reply to rightgrand

Apparently the seller gets 40% of the sale price so you could make a 20% profit.

However I don't see it as a good idea unless the seller approaches it with a cold calculating business mind and I doubt many that try it are that sort of person.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is futile to teach a caveman to play Scrabble, the only word they know is 'eerrrk' and they can't spell it.
Community Member

in reply to bankhaunter

I suppose 40% is just about workable then, just as long as you're really fussy about what you sell.

I would think that most of the unwanted stuff sitting around in lofts will belong to people who don't use the internet.  It looks like internet access is a requirement to use it, which should be an obvious flaw.  Really, it needs TV advertising and a freephone number, perhaps with a trusted elderly celeb doing a voiceover (and a free pen for applying!).

Apparently the ebay seller must pay the goods seller within 14-16 days.  That's possibly not long enough for problems to arise, so there is scope for the ebay seller to end up out of pocket.

From the FAQs...

Q

What happens if the buyer submits a return request?

A
The buyer may have the right to return the item depending on the returns policy you set for the listing.

If a buyer is entitled to return the item for any other reason, such as a fault with the item, you will need to resolve the issue, just as you would if you were selling your own item. Read more about Returns on eBay.

Please note that you will be responsible for any postage costs from a buyer returning a faulty or damaged item.

It's not a terrible idea, but there are plenty of potential issues - e.g. if an auction goes cheap the item owner might give the seller bad seller feedback (a new thing, I believe), if the item owner decides not to sell the item then the seller is responsible for delivering it back to them and can not charge postage charges - and if the item owner delivers unsaleable goods to the seller the seller must deliver it back to them for nothing too.
Community Member

in reply to chavfacechavella
I wouldn't be interested in selling anything on eBay, on my behalf or anybody elses, unless I felt that there would be £10 or more for me, per listing.

It would be highly unlikely someone would knowingly and regularly accept £2-£3 an item whilst knowing the asking price is £15-£20.

But at the higher value stuff, you could imagine someone taking £15 for an item sellable for £35-£40 and both parties getting enough out of the deal.
Community Newcomer

Hi, I can tell you that I have sold over 30 items on the neighbourhood and have followed the rules to the letter. I have had two returns both of which were sorted. I have happy providers and buyers and have made over £1000 doing it. You simply turn away anything you don't want to sell and then sell it as if it's your own item.
Community Member

in reply to r-kid_collectables

r-kid_collectables wrote:
Hi, I can tell you that I have sold over 30 items on the neighbourhood and have followed the rules to the letter. I have had two returns both of which were sorted. I have happy providers and buyers and have made over £1000 doing it. You simply turn away anything you don't want to sell and then sell it as if it's your own item.

Just looked at your listings and from what I can see your items are quite costly, but then they are collectibles and so perhaps the cost is justified so it would seem you know what you are doing, which is fine because this means you can pick and choose what you sell on behalf of others. But I suspect that this scheme is aimed at the get rich quick brigade which in turn will lead to many disappointed buyers and  sellers customer's, as well has the sellers who will end up at the wayside in debt to Ebay.

Community Newcomer

Hi, I've received a message this morning that eBay is closing this service on 31st August. All items currently outstanding have to be returned to the owners. Looks like some of you had a point.

My price points are quite high but my business model is all about quality.

Community Member

Hi, I've received a message this morning that eBay is closing this service on 31st August. All items currently outstanding have to be returned to the owners. Looks like some of you had a point.

How come you have a business model but you are NOT a business seller?

Community Member

in reply to jls_trading

jls_trading wrote:

How come you have a business model but you are NOT a business seller?

Perhaps that is why it is a success no change of mind returns or enforced return postage.

Community Member

Smiley Embarassed   innocent?

Community Newcomer

Actually I accept all returns. I don't believe I answer to you but I'll answer nonetheless. I've grown it from zero and am about to go limited with it so I'm happy that the model and pricing structure I have stuck to rigidly has worked for me. Horses for courses as they say.