Community Member

Worst period of Sales Ever!!

I don't know how others are doing but is this constant changing and fiddling about by ebay causing the biggest decline in sales I've known, have had 12 days with only 1 sale monday just gone and only one question from the uk, previous sale to that was Australia, I'm not a big seller but I averaged 10-14 sales a week, and I'm just fed up of editing the listings it's not worth the effort, if it doesn't pick up soon I may have to give up after 12 years which means I won't be buying either, as I sell stuff to buy stuff, it just feels like i'm paying ebay to list but get nothing in return, and yet all the messages they send and all changes are supposed to make it easier to sell, well it may help the likes of John Lewis and Argos to sell more but not us small sellers of one offs or second hand goods that's for sure.

Community Newcomer

Re: Worst period of Sales Ever!!

in reply to bluetimbo1

Well said!!!

Im in exactly the same boat, similar sales for a few years now. In the last six months its gone to pot, no sales for days, no enquiries for days. I gave up tinkering a while ago, spent too much time at it with no change in results. I see this same discussion now starting to gather momentum on various discussion boards, I expect it wont be long before we see it start to surface in the press. dEad bay is the latest name im hearing and experiencing.

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

We had a survey from eBay this morning pop up, a lot of the questions I think may be regarding the drop in sales. We got questions on the shop fees changes and the so called added VALUE smoke and mirrors campaign. Also questions do we think eBay support large retailers too much. We did drop our featured store and all our international sites they were not providing any value to us all of a sudden.  Fact is all the FEES were building up so we dropped it all, and got smart with our stock and offerings here. We brought down our COSTs a lot. 

We have pulled a lot of business away, we need to eat at the end of the day and build our business. This was after coming back to eBay is a big way 2016  50% of our sales now back to 2015 levels 25%.

Since Oct 16 every month apart from Dec 16 has seen a DROP in sales on eBay, Feb and March were shocking, starting to pick up a bit now.

Anyway our "OVERALL" sales are up for the business we are fed up of competing with LVCR (vat avoidence and abuse this is a major issue with mail order) and multi nationals. It is either a unlevel playing field or the the competition has to much muscle. I look at some prices and some are selling below COST with VAT it is pointless trying compete, margins are far to skinny now.

We were honest with the survey and told them we were targeting areas away from eBays target markets and selling on multiple other platforms, and when we need to move in VOLUME we need to use FBA in the UK, even with the BEST priced  goods on eBay they are not moving in volume. We took 5 days to shift the one of the biggest sellers in our area at the best price on eBay last week. This would have taken a few hours elsewhere. 

We go the normal seller support rubbish etc, nothing wil change there. 

A few of the questions were is eBay spending to much time promoting these "large companies". So at least they seem to be looking at some of the many issues, smaller and medium traders are facing. 

Community Member

in reply to samslocker

got the same survey too this morning

and Im still wondering - did they just realised all their mistakes made in the past 3 years? and if they do, can I survive another few years until they fix all issues in best case scenario.... eventually....

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

I would disregard the surveys ebay don't take a lot of notice of these surveys anyway as they always do things to make life harder for sellers. 

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

bluetimbo1 wrote:

I don't know how others are doing but is this constant changing and fiddling about by ebay causing the biggest decline in sales I've known, have had 12 days with only 1 sale monday just gone and only one question from the uk, previous sale to that was Australia, I'm not a big seller but I averaged 10-14 sales a week, and I'm just fed up of editing the listings it's not worth the effort, if it doesn't pick up soon I may have to give up after 12 years which means I won't be buying either, as I sell stuff to buy stuff, it just feels like i'm paying ebay to list but get nothing in return, and yet all the messages they send and all changes are supposed to make it easier to sell, well it may help the likes of John Lewis and Argos to sell more but not us small sellers of one offs or second hand goods that's for sure.

You are not alone. My ebay sales are in terminal decline and I will be finishing on ebay in the next couple of months after 17 years. I used to get around 10 to 15 sales a day. Now I'm really struggling to get that many in a week and that's with a lot more listings on there too. The party is well and truly over on ebay. I believe that over the past few years ebay have made a concerted effort to become a platform selling brand new goods offered by big corporate retailers and all the "improvements" they have been intorducing have been specifically geared towards driving away small independent sellers offering second hand goods.

Community Member

in reply to roxcalibur

Yes fully agree it is if Ebay are deliberetly driving away small business sellers . 

Community Member

in reply to freds.finds132

Im not sure if they want to get rid of the small sellers or just made a complete mess which they cant solve now

due to the nature of my products spring and summer the sales should increase

now I can open my seller hub on performance/summary and I can see makret 9% up and my sales 42% down

also I did notice that 2 of my listings which was close to each other at the very top on best match, both together was dropped on second page for almost a month, again close to each other

now the visibility is restored, they are again on first page, but the damage is done - because of 1 month with low sales now best match think that I dont deserve the same position anymore, and despite Im on first page Im much lower now, and the sales are still poor

whatever they have done it is done on my whole account

I did ask ebay if I had any restrictions on my account - but they say nothing, your account is in perfect condition

so if that wasnt a restriction then it is a technical glitch

unfortunately technical team is not rushing at all

whatever the issue is the only they do is to check for active listings, and nothing else

if they get paid for doing nothing, then I may apply for a job there....

whatever the reason is, the problem repeat over time, and they dont care at all

they have no clue how much effort and money cost to earn some visibility, they just throw it in the bin

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Been truly awful this year....today is a new low for us.....Its such a struggle Smiley Sad

Community Member

in reply to roxcalibur

Since my original post have had 2 sales one on wednesday night another thursday night, so my sales are 3 in 16 days but my ebay bill will be £78.00, will they give me a bit of extra time to pay as I'm skint (doubt it). But they want me to continue to buy using Paypal credit as if we aren't in enough debt. As others say when will I get switched back on properly and not for just an hour during the late night news!

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to wag-tails

I know what you mean we are down 79.3% on last year and we are down already 24.7% for this month. We are losing to much money with ebay fees etc.

We are not bothering to restock now as to us Ebay is dead, we are concentrating on other selling avenues.

We have done nothing different in the last 5 years and sales until November of last year were increasing about 5 - 10% each month then all of a sudden bang sales fell of a cliff. We used to sell 20 to 50 items a day now we are lucky to get 3 or 4 and these are very low value items with free p&p.

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

1 sale in 5 days - 0 email enquiries in 5 days

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

bluetimbo1 wrote:

Since my original post have had 2 sales one on wednesday night another thursday night, so my sales are 3 in 16 days but my ebay bill will be £78.00, will they give me a bit of extra time to pay as I'm skint (doubt it). But they want me to continue to buy using Paypal credit as if we aren't in enough debt. As others say when will I get switched back on properly and not for just an hour during the late night news!

Maybe you should switch to OBA and Click&Drop - if you don't use it already - so you can offer lower postage cost ?

And also try to offer automatic discount on postage - so buyers will see that - at least on the full web version - not that it's in the description - a bit hard to find when everythign is in plain text.

Also offer quicker postage services - it won't cost you but sometimes buyers are in a hurry and are willing to pay more - without the need to waste time contacting seller.

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

Down 44.5% on the last 31 days . Down 60.1% on the same peiod last year, at one point 90% down on the year before  . But last year I was probably 50% down on the year before . Things have changed over a few years now last year I should have known what was coming down £18000 on 2015 but this year a complete joke .  Top rated , 100% feedback , free postage , 30 day returns , shop fees almost doubled , VAT in August , late delivery rate changing in August , sale promotions  what is next ? even fewer sales . 

Community Member

in reply to freds.finds132

if your Argos and Homebase John lewis this wont affect them as ebay sucks upto them , but it wasnt that long ago all those companys thought ebay was not good enough for them .

I really do believe ebay wants to force out small sellers . The same people that made ebay in the first place !!

Ive noticed that ebay has gone down every year , most people i know dont use it they use a better one they say

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Me too, eBay Down 55.2% Compared to previous 31 days and Down 78.7% Compared to same period a year ago. Thankfully the *Flow* is strong on the River UK and on All the Euro Rivers too.

Community Newcomer

in reply to 342posters

No enquiries or sales for 18 days!!! Oh sorry just one, Portugal, and I only post to the uk. Feet often talk louder than the mouth!!!

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

bluetimbo1 wrote:

Question: "is this constant changing and fiddling about by ebay causing the biggest decline in sales I've known"

Answer: NO. This has nothing to do with ebay - the biggest decline in sales you have ever known is due to the mother of all recessions you will hear about in the news in a few months time. Drop your prices and sell what you can now whilst there is still money to be had from the table.

Don't let the 'perceived' value of something stop you from selling it.

Community Member

in reply to mapatasy

It is down to the sectors people sell in & nothing to do with a recession. I'm actually 58% up on a year ago whilst my market is only 10% up. What has made me laugh though is this gem from them:

'Active listings dropped 25.5%

We noticed that you've had fewer active listings lately. The more you have listed, the more likely it is that buyers can find what they're looking for. The next time you get a chance, try getting some listings out there'. 

The reason I have less on is because the price inreases have forced me to cut back to save my money!! I'm still getting the sales despite ebay saying I'm not!

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
This is automatically generated message Smiley Happy