Community Member

Re: Worst period of Sales Ever!!

in reply to mnikolay80

I'm about ready to give in.

Sales falling drastically, non existent customer service, buyers expecting harrods service at carboot prices. Yet fees increasing steadily.

I have felt for a while now that fees DO NOT reflect ebay's rapidly declining platform. 

Unfettered capitalism at its best where the bosses make money & are answerable to no-one!!

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

It certainly can't be a visibility problem.  I sell motorcycle spares.  Always a busy time of year about now. It certainly has been busy with the nice weather lately, busy everywheer, except on ebay that is.   There is a huge visibilty problem that is increasingly leading to demoralising long term sellers on here.   I sold two items yesterday on ebay, dozens elsewhere wheer salke have improved this year.  It juts confuses me now what that visibility problem is. Out of those two items sold yesterday, one was purchased by a buyer in Kenya with an address regisiterd at a UK freight forwarder. .  Not bad going considering I only trade within the UK.   So why are my items visible in Kenya but not in the UK?  Certainly got me fooled.  I have thirty two parcels to post today and only one has sold through an ebay shop with 800 on offer. Odd that, I must be due a Top Tips To Sell Your Items  email.

Community Member

in reply to robinet_uk

Hi, would you be able to share which other sites you are listing on - I see eBid and perhaps will try Facebook, but not sure where else to go at this stage - but desperately need to as fee increases, glitches and lack of visibility mean I'm not making enough money to survive.  Thank you.

Community Member

in reply to sierra_stone

With your sort of craft items I would have thought esty might be good for you, they were founded in 2005.

It is a shame - I have done nothing different - but since Feb this year my sales have been in decline? I was going to double my listings this year..............................but now I don't think that will be prudent?

Ebay used to be the best place to sell just about anything - but not at the moment - they are letting things slip!

Community Member

in reply to sierra_stone

Also I see that there are other posts saying that ebay have "messed-with", "changed" the catagories that you sell in?

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

I think it's getting worse and worse every day...

Community Member

in reply to sierra_stone

Thank you.  I was a member a while ago, but let it lapse while eBay sales were OK.  I am going to have a look tonight.  I have plenty of time because I can't list anything or set up any auctions without incurring £2.50 per listing due to the current glitch.  I know eBay say they will repay, but that isn't the way I run my business and I'd rather avoid an admin nightmare to be honest!

Community Member

in reply to candytan67
Quite possibly. I can't change anything without incurring a £2.50 listing fee at the moment. Something they're working to resolve, but how long will it take!
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to bluetimbo1

Trying etsy at the monent . So far its even worse than ebay .the search engine worse

Community Member

in reply to brothersleep

Oh no! Not what I wanted to hear - but I think I'll still need to have a try as my sales are so low!

Community Member

in reply to sierra_stone

Listed up 80 items on etsy about 8 weeks ago and not one single sale. Getting 2 views per day and got first message today. It is even worse than ebay and still wiating for our first sale.

Community Member

in reply to brothersleep

Ebay rants on about customer service to sellers , but by the look of this very long post and comments made and very clearly how desperate sellers are getting .

why is it ebay has not popped up to explain or reasure sellers ?? They are very happy taking our money for a very poor service they provide .

I do believe ebay dont want small sellers they are on purpose pushing us out so they just have can large sellers who provide a very poor service !

Ebay is trying to be like another very succesfull professional run site ,this will never happen . If Ebay treat there customers like they do .

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
I really think it's the current climate. People are tightening their purse strings. We are all being squeezed and that includes eBay. I listed over 200 products on amazon 2 months ago only3 sales so I closed it.
Community Member

in reply to h-p-c-sales
I have similar thoughts about the small sellers thing - I have never received any correspondence from eBay when things go wrong. The latest increase in fees, especially the rise in cost of listing auction items, will probably finish me off in the longer term. Not sure what to do, as this is my livelihood.
Community Member

in reply to h-p-c-sales

I have similar thoughts about the small sellers thing - I have never received any correspondence from eBay when things go wrong. The latest increase in fees, especially the rise in cost of listing auction items, will probably finish me off in the longer term. Not sure what to do, as this is my livelihood.

Community Member

in reply to brothersleep

I've had 3 sales on Etsy since loading about 10 items. It's definitely not for me as far as selling is concerned but I'm using it to increase the profile of my product range (shows quite high on general search results). Don't even be tempted by Bonanza, American based format and I cancelled before even completing the set up. 

A friend of mine migrated from ebay to Amazon a couple of years ago and his business has hit an all time low recently so I don't think it's just ebay.

Community Member

in reply to bingo_66

Ebay can see how concerned people are , Also ebay can see the glitches that affect sellers who pay fees good or bad . So why cant Ebay just come on the post and have some respect and explain what they are doing and there loNg term goal ?

Its not a lot to ask . There is some very concerned sellers on here and i really do feel for them .

Community Member

in reply to h-p-c-sales

Just to add ....with regards to this VAT thing in August and the sly way this is going to be implemented leaves sellers in the doo doo yet again. Ebay have stated they will add 20% VAT on all fees for business sellers but in reality it will be more. If you are staying after August 1st this is what you are faced with.

You have 2 options to try to do the VAT thing either way you must charge the customer whether you put it in your overall price and not make the charge visible or auto add 20% VAT to the final invoice so to make it easy lets look at the example below.

Item Sold for £100 plus 20% VAT Total £120 (You have to give the £20 to the VAT man)

but here goes - Ebay will charge you a 10% Final value fee on the whole amount £12 plus 20% VAT £2.40 so now you will pay £14.40 so if you just take the VAT part you will only get £17.60 of the £20 that you have to give to the VAT man which leaves you even more out of pocket and if you take Paypal fees into account also it gets even worse

jeeeeeeeez  and they will tell you they are not profiting out of it.......er yes you are!!!! this increases FVFs.

Community Member

in reply to candmcollectablesuk

candmcollectablesuk wrote:

Just to add ....with regards to this VAT thing in August and the sly way this is going to be implemented leaves sellers in the doo doo yet again. Ebay have stated they will add 20% VAT on all fees for business sellers but in reality it will be more. If you are staying after August 1st this is what you are faced with.

You have 2 options to try to do the VAT thing either way you must charge the customer whether you put it in your overall price and not make the charge visible or auto add 20% VAT to the final invoice so to make it easy lets look at the example below.

Item Sold for £100 plus 20% VAT Total £120 (You have to give the £20 to the VAT man)

but here goes - Ebay will charge you a 10% Final value fee on the whole amount £12 plus 20% VAT £2.40 so now you will pay £14.40 so if you just take the VAT part you will only get £17.60 of the £20 that you have to give to the VAT man which leaves you even more out of pocket and if you take Paypal fees into account also it gets even worse

jeeeeeeeez  and they will tell you they are not profiting out of it.......er yes you are!!!! this increases FVFs.

Only if you are vat registered. That's if you have a turnover in excess of £85,000 will you be charging 20% vat.

If you are a non vat registered business seller like me (you will not be charging your customers 20% vat) ONLY your monthly ebay fees will start to have vat applied to them in August. eg. now your monthly ebays fees are £300.00 ................ from August they will increase by 20% to £360.00

So you will need to absorb the extra £60 per month or increase your prices to cover the £60 per month?

Community Member

in reply to candytan67

That is exactly what I have just said in my post, either way you look at it your FVFs will be higher.

If you dont register for VAT like most of us dont need to as you rightly said as we dont turn over more than £85000 you will need to raise your prices to cover the VAT ebay will now charge you, but you will have to raise them closer to 25% to end up with 20% as the final value fees will be charged VAT at 20%.