Community Member

Re: Worst period of Sales Ever!!

[ Edited ]
in reply to bricknation-toys

bricknation-toys wrote:

sales drop

Looks like on 22 May we sold too much and got "punished" for that.

just call it "ebay" and dont insult it anymore

same silly pattens here

Community Member

my graph looks very similar. I too had a crazy spike then absolute collapse. 

Community Member

How do I get that graph up to show my sales?

Community Member

in reply to custom_cars_uk

you need the seller hub 

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

If eBay replicate in Europe what they have done in the US and insist on tracked postage (not sure if this is compulsory or just to get better visibility on the  listing), does anyone have a preference for which courier they use (most reliable and cost effective). No margin left to absorb any extra costs.

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Its funny, my sales are down 40% and my listing impressions are down the exact same percentage.. coincidence ?  I doubt it.  Ebay are messing again.

It would make sense since the new "front page" of search only shows 25 listings - some of those are multiples from the same sellers.  It isn't a case of the top 25 get 1 listing each.

And... instead of the bottom of the page showing 1,2,3,4,5 etc it just had a button - "view all results"

The last three days, our sales have been back to normal.... why?  Well we now have listings in the top 25.  So, our items get shown... we get sales, they don't get shown in the top 25, we get nothing.

This is just absolute madness... what do they plan to do, rotate those top 25 spots for their best sellers?  and 25 is too little.. I always change it to 200 per page when searching and will look through a good few pages before deciding, will buyers not realise that "view all results" gives more options - or will they get fed up and look elsewhere for a site that does have what they want.

Of course permanently at the top of the 25 are the big brand sellers who already have massive high street and internet presence.

In my category, the competition is maybe 20 top sellers, so its likely we'll survive this change, but I really feel for those sellers whose competition run into the hundreds and thousands of sellers.. what hope have they?

I really hope ebay come to their senses on this one, but I fear, unless it hits their financials, nothing will change and they will press on ahead.

Community Member

Well I cant access my graphs as it takes me to the Ebay.com site where I dont have any listings.  But when I could access it, my graphs were somewhat similar. I have  just had a reasonable weekend followed by 3 days of total flatlining!! So it always seems to be that days of good or above average sales are followed by several days of low sales. Its all manipulated.

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

Just came on here to see if  Ebay was still alive and kicking and I found this thread

I had an absoluitely fanatstic May until 29/05 and since then diddly squat. I decided to check out my graph too and guess what it looks just like yours  One good day which for me was Saturday 28th then a few sales on Sunday/Monday and then nothing. i normally average 4/5 sales a day but nothing no questions,  no complaints (although im happy about that one) and it seems like all my buyers have  disapeared into the abyss

maybe half term and people have just gone away for the week, well thats the logical hopeful me but it does seem funny that when you have an exceptional day its followed by a big fat zero day/week/month   

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to bluetimbo1

no sales since last night....its just awful. How many businesses will be able to survive this? Just never know if its a general problem ie no customers on ebay this week/month/year or something being tinkered with on the site....or something weve done Smiley Sad

Community Member

in reply to wag-tails

As an artist selling 4 to 5 high end works per week to nothing.  There is no traffic going through ebay, the payment guarentee bug is now fixed, as least on my listings.  I have the same no traffic problem on Amazon and other UK portals I list on, so its not ebays fault, I think there is just to much politics around at the moment.

Community Member

in reply to artfantasticbrian

Our sales were 40% down last month, this month it will likely be 70%.. its getting worse and worse.. on my category I did a search and one time only the slideshows came up.. thats just pathetic. Ebay, return it to the old search you are killing us here.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to *henryhooverworld*

We have given up, Once most of the stock we have got has gone, we won't bother with Ebay. To much hassel to earn to little money. It is a shame as at one time Ebay made us a good living. Now it only accounts for 10 percent of our monthly turn over slight frown

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
eBay is indeed in palliative care, or perhaps already in the freezer.
Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
Rather six feet under Smiley Sad
Community Member

in reply to robinet_uk

I am concentrating on exhibitions now after 14 weeks of declining sales on ebay and the exhibitions are doing well, says it all I think

Community Member

in reply to rockmaniaonline

I increased stock to sell via ebay last year and surpisingly the increase in stock listed was not only NOT reflected in a similar increase in sales but the opposite.  Sales elsewhere have continued to grow.  I have always, and I do mean always, averaged 3 sales a day over the past 4 or 5 years.  Not  a lot,  but after having far better and more regular sales patterns in the 8 years prior to that, ebay took a nose dive and strangely irregular sales patterns became the norm.  

Opened a shop last year, increased items listed to around the 1000 mark from the previous 200-300 and guess what. Average sales per day as calculated up to yesterday is still 3 even though items listed have more than doubled.  Ebay has never been a main source of income but if it has been I would have had to join those who now seeem to have lost faith in what was once a first rate platform.  Amazon have raced ahead and are a different ballgame to what ebay is, and the quest to become like  Amazon will never be fulfilled whilt they are busily shooting themsleves in the foot and their loyal sellers in the back.  I have now lowered the amount of itmes availble on ebay and still average 3 a day. Must be my permitted limit.

I know this doesn't apply to all sellers and those who have not experienced such, always the same names on these forums, will quickly jump onto the 'ebay are wonderful' pedestal, but to those it does affect it is concerning.  It makes me wonder how those whose businesses are thriving find the time in their hectic customer fulfilment schedule to post on here so frequently to tell those suffering how wonderful they are doing. 

Community Member

in reply to shaynemd

Our non ebay sales have grown too, they havent replaced ebay yet - mainly because our current platform is not mobile friendly, but direct traffic is definitely growing.

It's a shame but ebay are once again, picking a few select sellers and throwiing all their eggs in those baskets to promote them. My listings are not even getting any impressions, our sales decline in direct percentage correlation with impressions.

The problem ebay doesn't seem able to grasp is, smaller sellers like us,

are also buyers (note for any ebay staff actually looking at the board)

.. remove the seller, remove the buyer.  

How many large sellers, do you see with any feedback as a buyer.. none right!    I just can't fathom why ebay don't get this simple fact. Plus, you add in the mom and pop / boot sale seller and remove their visibility entirely.. which has to be happening..  and all the pennies they make on selling their bits and pieces.. goes too..  ergo.. remove more buyers.

I really hoped Wenig who made statements to the effect that he would return to the "eBay way" focussing on small and medium sellers.. that we would actually benefit..  what has gone wrong.. this last update has virutally killed us off this platform.. and it probably wont be long before we too are confined to the junk pile of unrequired ebay sellers.

sorry - rant over!

Community Member

several years ago ebay was good enough even for main income

but with their steady decline in sales and quality of service now ebay is not reliable anymore for business

not easy for buyers too, hard to find items, constant glitches, only lies and excuses from CS

I dont expect any good soon here

Community Member

As people have said previously sales do follow strange patterns and it is obvious when your listings are visible or not, as I personally get sales of certain items in two or three day bursts and then nothing on them for a while, and then it happens again in a similar pattern. Ebay UK is now playing with listing visibility to keep as many sellers hanging on as possible and spreading the sales around. If they see sellers doing well they will hide your listings to give other sellers sales and then repeat the process etc etc. This is why sales patterns are weird it is simply because they are being manufactured. 

Then comes the additional bomb in August of VAT on fees which is a 20% increase to a lot of business sellers as most do not turn over £85000 so quite rightly have not registered their business for VAT but will certainly have to now. After 1st August an anchor shop will cost a staggering £320.80 (inc VAT per month) this is almost a mortgage sized payment and what do you get for that.... a manipulated listing regime to keep your sales similar to your competitors............Ebay, the new communism.

I think this VAT thing may well kill off this site as a small business selling platform as the margins are too small as it is and to be perfectly honest, it is now cheaper to have a bricks and mortar store which is absolutely ridiculous.

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

We've had it with ebay, we can not survive on 3 sales a day with a grand total of less than £10, we have bills, wages etc to pay.

Last year we were doing on average 30 - 40 sales a day with a revenue or £200 - £300 per day to what i stated above in a year. Ebays constant meddling has killed our business so i hope ebay are glad that they have put a small business on the edge of going out of business.