Community Member

Re: Worst period of Sales Ever!!

in reply to bluetimbo1
Every time I heard "yes, it's technical glitch" I was pushing for refund on shop fee - as why should I pay for something that "doesn't fit for purpose" - and 99% of times I got it ...
Community Member

in reply to best-range

best-range wrote:

hi,

I too noticed this message last night, it is on every first page lisiting you look, all sellers are affected, see under "Coverage" (?!)

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 19.39.01.png

Just to add my voice to this thread, sales plummeted exactly as from Wednesday the 17th, so about 10 days ago, 60% down on previous weeks/months this year. I read ebay changed the search again? is the "new buying experience" putting buyers off ? & now this?

When I saw that first on somoene's else listings, I thought; "this must be a dodgy seller, not offering Money Back Guarantee on their products", only then I noticed that all sellers including myself have this now displayed to all potential buyers.

It does scare buyers off, what a great  "new buying experience" ! 

It seems everyday is a "new buying experience" having to put up with all the multiple bugs & errors plugging this site for weeks on end & new ones coming on daily!

Just checked my own listings and its affecting everything I have listed.

Phone eBay CS to report the issue and the Lady that took my call said it was the 2nd call she'd taken today about the same issue and that she would escalate the matter to Tech Support and report back to me later.

I would advise each and EVERY Seller affected to Telephone eBay and complain.

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
And every caller will hear the same excuse - 2nd call and will be reported - but nothing will be done - it's just pathetic Smiley Sad
Community Member

in reply to bingo_66

bingo_66 wrote:

As you can see if I had left it to eBay to promote my business I'd be bankrupt by now. ...

Well done! Nice to see a posting from someone who actually gets it. It's your business, it's up to you to make it succeed, so who is responsible for promotion and marketing? You are, of course.

The alternative is to put up a bunch of listings and hope that all the promotion gets done for you by the ebay marketing fairy.

The good news is you have plenty of competitors who are sitting around doing exactly that.
―――――――――――
I should of used a verb!
Community Newcomer

[ Edited ]
in reply to richardmsstuff

Sorry but that might be fine for some sellers. I, and I'm sure many other sellers of collectibles, already spend a lot of time buying stock, going to auction houses, sorting stock, listing stock, packing and posting, filing tax returns and accounts and all the other things associated with selling online. I list thousands of relatively inexpensive collectibles and if you honestly telling me that I should also do a blog, a facebook page and other advertising for each item then I'd have to say that you're an idiot. I already work longer hours than any sensible full time job. What the hell am I paying eBay several hundred pounds each month for? I'm paying them for visibility and they are simply not delivering. My weekly sales last week were just 10% of the weekly sales from 8 weeks ago, 10 weeks ago, 12 weeks ago, etc. That is not just a slow period, that is a catastrophe for any small business, especially with the new higher shop subscription fees. eBay have screwed up, whether deliberate or not, and you know it. You have personally ruined the other similar thread to this with your constant input. Many on here suspect you to be an eBay shill, and having watched you for a long time now, I am also of that opinion. Your advice should be taken with the same pinch of salt as that of the Daily Mail regarding the Labour Party.

Community Member

in reply to 342posters

342posters wrote:

best-range wrote:

hi,

I too noticed this message last night, it is on every first page lisiting you look, all sellers are affected, see under "Coverage" (?!)

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 19.39.01.png

Just to add my voice to this thread, sales plummeted exactly as from Wednesday the 17th, so about 10 days ago, 60% down on previous weeks/months this year. I read ebay changed the search again? is the "new buying experience" putting buyers off ? & now this?

When I saw that first on somoene's else listings, I thought; "this must be a dodgy seller, not offering Money Back Guarantee on their products", only then I noticed that all sellers including myself have this now displayed to all potential buyers.

It does scare buyers off, what a great  "new buying experience" ! 

It seems everyday is a "new buying experience" having to put up with all the multiple bugs & errors plugging this site for weeks on end & new ones coming on daily!

Just checked my own listings and its affecting everything I have listed.

Phone eBay CS to report the issue and the Lady that took my call said it was the 2nd call she'd taken today about the same issue and that she would escalate the matter to Tech Support and report back to me later.

I would advise each and EVERY Seller affected to Telephone eBay and complain.

This bug affects every seller & every international ebay site, just checked ebay.com, ebay.au, ebay fr, etc. same bug, so

I don't believe the CS when they say "only a second caller", not possible with a worldwide bug such as this.

This bug is causing the disappearance of the Top Rated Seller badge from all the listings, I wonder if this also affects the calculation of the TRS bonuses, we'll find out shortly.

I dont want to ruin my weekend by calling CS, I just cant, maybe Tuesday if they dont sort it out by then.

I belive this thread is monitored so they should get the message by now.

Community Member

in reply to best-range

I do wonder if they are planning to meddle with the money back guarantee scheme.  Why on earth they would do this, I don't know, but its not without possibility.

I checked and other sellers even on the front page of the new layout are not selling much. In my case we have a major national retailer selling the same type of product at a massive discount and they are number one on the listing.  They are selling lots.

I really have no more will to put effort into ebay, its just too unpredictable - we are busy working on a completely different business and are focused away from growth on this platform, its just a waste of effort.

Community Member

in reply to cornovia_postcards

cornovia_postcards wrote:

... Many on here suspect you to be an eBay shill, and having watched you for a long time now, I am also of that opinion. Your advice should be taken with the same pinch of salt as that of the Daily Mail regarding the Labour Party.

I think that calling me an idiot - along with your other remarks - is unnecessarily personal. You are nevertheless entitled to disagree with me if you wish. I am just expressing an opinion which this discussion board allows me to do. There's no need to be insulting.

I am not actually " ... honestly telling [you] that [you] should also do a blog, a facebook page and other advertising for each item ...". It's entirely up to you to do whatever you see fit for yourself and what you think might make your business succeed.

Ultimately, it is your business. You decide what to do and what not do for the best.

―――――――――――
I should of used a verb!
Community Member

no feedback for over 12 months ,

thew poster does have some valid points

Community Newcomer

[ Edited ]

I didn't call you an idiot and suggest you re-read my post. I said that IF you were "honestly telling me that I should also do a blog, a facebook page...etc" then you are an idiot. You state that you are not telling me that. Therefore I am not calling you an idiot.

As for my other remarks, I wholeheartedly stand by them. I have watched you on these boards for almost ten years, since shortly after I first started selling. You never sell anything, you haven't bought anything for well over a year and yet you always feel that you are well suited for butting in on a "business sellers board" and always, without fail, give support to eBay's position and criticise sellers for raising issues about genuine problems. You aren't even a seller, let alone a business seller. I have believed for a very long time that you are a paid shill. Not that it really matters to me any longer. I have removed all of my stock from eBay and am now elsewhere. Yes, it is my business and I have decided what to do.

Community Member

cornovia_postcards wrote:

I didn't call you an idiot and suggest you re-read my post. I said that IF you were "honestly telling me that I should also do a blog, a facebook page...etc" then you are an idiot. You state that you are not telling me that. Therefore I am not calling you an idiot.

True enough. When it comes to business, I'm far from being an idiot, but you're going to have to take my word for that; or not - I don't really care. However, given the opinions I'm apt to express, I am not idiotic enough to post on here using an active trading account.

Am I a paid shill for ebay? No. As far as I know they don't pay anyone to do that sort of thing (why would they bother?), and if they did, I wouldn't be interested in taking the job. They wouldn't pay me what I'd want for doing that - and you've clearly missed (or mis-read) the posts where I have been critical of ebay. Fair enough - I don't expect you to read all of them.

Anyway, you quit ebay - genuinely and sincerely good for you, well done. I'd say that's eminently sensible act if ebay is not working for your business. There's no point investing your time and energy in a channel to market that doesn't generate any sales. Far better to divert that into something that does work for you and does generate sales. It's doing something positive instead of just complaining.

―――――――――――
I should of used a verb!
Community Member

if you honestly telling me that I should also do a blog, a facebook page and other advertising for each item............

I'll clarify my post:

I hate to see how people are struggling on eBay at the moment when they have put so much time, money and effort into their business. Due to the work I have been forced to do in order to get sales, I have information on free to use social media marketing channels that may be useful and helpful to those viewing this thread looking for answers. This month my business is up 14% on revenue and 6% on volume so I feel I have something to share that may be of help. As with everything in life, it might not be for you but it doesn't mean to say it's not for others.

Community Newcomer

in reply to bluetimbo1

Community Member

in reply to 342posters

I have just checked and mine are showing the same thing it must put buyers off if they think they've got no buyer protection, it might explain why my sales dropped off a cliff around 2 weeks ago and now very slow.  Strangely enough there's also been a rise in items 'lost' in the post but nothing returned by Royal Mail even though my address is on them, you just have to wonder where all these lost items go if they never reach the buyer and I haven't had them back.  I've had enough of the non stop hassle so cancelled shop once the listings end next month I won't be replacing eBay is now one big headache I can do without.

Community Member

in reply to bingo_66

bingo_66 wrote:

... As with everything in life, it might not be for you but it doesn't mean to say it's not for others.

Very true.

Looking at this objectively - and impersonally: Some time back it was enough to just list stuff on ebay and it would sell. Sadly those days are gone. With everything that's changed over the years, if you're really trying to grow a businesses I don't think you can avoid the need to invest time and money in marketing and promotion.

Any business has lots of choices as far as selling platforms are concerned; ranging from your own website all the way up to "full service" platforms like ebay. As far as I know, few or none of those options come with built-in promotion so, if you're really driving for growth, something has to go into promotion and - crucially - SEO.

Given the wide range of choice available to sellers I guess you have to weigh the visibility, ease of operation, etc. a platform gives you vs. the amount you have to put into marketing. Choose the most cost effective. I don't think this is a 5-minute job. It takes some research and analysis and there won't be a one-size-fits-all answer.

As far as ebay is concerned, the present day challenge for sellers is the fact they're competing with 25 million other sellers on a site with something like a billion listings. These are staggeringly huge numbers. Taking that into account along with the vagaries (if not actual malfunction) of the platform search engine it's going to be a real struggle to get your stuff on page 1.

―――――――――――
I should of used a verb!
Community Member

in reply to artfantasticbrian

I had a message saying I'd lost my top rated seller status due to not selling enough, now I know why the sales fell off a cliff they wanted people to loose their top rated seller status before they were protected for six months due to all the changes, I wonder how many others on here lost their top rated seller status just recently?

According to the business seller news I've just recieved:

• eBay Top-Rated Seller: Your status will be protected for 6 months.
  • Above Standard Seller: Your account will be protected from falling Below Standard for 3 months.

Well I've already lost it just in time not to be protected, coincedence or not, looks like a sly dodgy action to me!

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
Same here. April and May sales were slow but then on 22/05 sales stopped almost completely. In 7 days we had 4 orders for a grand total of £16.21. TRS is gone and late delivery rate is now calculated on last 12 months. Happy days.
Funny thing is that other marketplaces are doing very well.
Community Member

in reply to bricknation-toys

Yes lost my top rated seller also.  I have gone 12 weeks with just 2 sales after selling regulaly 4 or 5 high value works per week for 4 years and all my listings have chenged to NO BUYER PROTECTION

Community Member

in reply to artfantasticbrian

1 sale in 3 days, this is now the worse period of all time for me.. shocking. Although, May has been a decent sales month overall. Just weird the absolute drop off. 

Community Member

in reply to firkinspares

sales drop

Looks like on 22 May we sold too much and got "punished" for that.