Community Member

Re: Worst period of Sales Ever!!

in reply to tascio1

used to collect coins ,

since the decline in sales , dont buy them anymore 

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Our sales are down 40%.  I wonder if its something to do with the "new ebay shopping experience" because if you search for henry hoover then go to seller refurbished we are at the top of search.

I think its just another layer of images blasting out at you and there are only 25 results. Also I dont like the font size or colour of the title, it was blue now its black and no differentiation of color from the title to the initial details.

We've had poor sales before, but this has been consistently bad for a long period, so most likely a sign of times to come. 

Community Member

in reply to *henryhooverworld*
sold a total of £2.50 today..doesn't seem worth it. ...starting to listing on a other auction sites. Don't know if you can advertise other sites on here but it begins with an E. If they could get more traffic it would blow ebay out the water. £50 lifetime membership and 2% fees and the site is 100% easier to use plus you can just import all you items from ebay onto the other site
Community Member

[ Edited ]

here also have new records - 60% down in just 40 days

but few of my competitors continue to sell as usual

when browsing with my buying account I can clearly see more and more ebay attempts to divert the buyers traffic to only few listings, and my listings are completely hidden now, despite Im still on first page on best match, whatever I click ebay keep "recommending" 6-7 listings from 3 competitors, all buyers are diverted

and of course all sellers IDs are hidden, and very often buyers buy from one seller and provide details to other (because it is custom made item)

ebay clearly want to confuse the buyers that these are just more item from same seller

and Im wondering why they lie? they say that they dont do that ?!?!?

Community Member

in reply to fluff.pie

Well, having not had one sale in 12 days now, I may be due a WHOLE CHERRY then, perhaps! Just as well I grow my own cherries and don't have to rely on ebay, but a slice of the cake would be nice.

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Hi, interesting points, and i guess that only time will tell whether we survive these very quiet times or not!  I too sell 'used items', and am unusually quiet.  I am hoping that it will pick up shortly as i am not sure how long i can pay for a featured shop for when i may only just be covering the cost.  As a single mum, this is my income - or at present lack of income.  My plan 2-3 years ago, when i was selling alot more (despite having half as many listings) was to build up business each year.  However, unfortunately, i appear to be unbuilding it each year - Not ideal Smiley Sad

Community Member

in reply to brothersleep

I am exactly the same as you.

Before the garbage known as 'Cassini' was unleashed, I was also a regular ebay buyer.

However now, not only do I not have the same resources available, ebay's search returns what I can only term as 'pages of nonsense'.

It used to be great, you could find 'obscure' items unavailable elsewhere; now you get pages and pages of listings of 'laundry baskets at Argos' and suchlike.

Community Member

in reply to mjp258

It's strange that you posted this, as my local courier has been coming to collect my parcels 3-4 hours earlier than usual.  He always does the same route but doesn't have as many parcels to deliver/collect, which is a shame as he also is sele-employed Smiley Sad

Community Member

in reply to 1946.wood48

funny enougjh,Ive juust posted one item with a courier this month,i usually post 15-20 items.It has hasnt been a bad month so far as a whole sales wise,just that Ive sold my smaller ,single and lighter items,so royal mail has had more trade from me this month.Anything under 2kg I us royal mail.anything over 2 kg I send via Hermes.The last week has been pretty good,but the week before 1 sale in a week.April was a very bad month,started ok,with 10 sales the first week,then 2 sales in 2 weeks,which was my worst selling period on here since i started selling 3 years ago.The the last week of april i had 12 sales,Oddly,one variation of what I sell,I sold the item,i had stock of that item,so relisted,within 10 mins of listing,the same item sold,relisted and it sold the next day.So sometimes it seems the visibility of an item may be related to recently sold items and/or the quantity of sold items.Just funny how I have a spate of selling the same item over and over again,then that item wont sell again for ages.

Community Member

in reply to shaunicus75

6 more days then I'll be dropping to a basic shop and spending the £55 saving on Google adwords and Facebook ads

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1

Really struggling the last few months, sales should have been up due to the amount of work I'm putting in, (working harder than ever with more listings on the shop available to fill, but sales have been down up to 50% from last year.  This month it's picked up a bit, but bills are due and it's hard to live on the money I'm dragging in from eBay (which is my only income as a self employed person)!  Can't eBay just simplify the program, it's starting to get too complicated, bring back some kind of free offline listing tool. Basically ebay needs to work for the sellers - if there are no sales, there is no income for anyone. Theres no justification for the shop fees price hike, and as a small business I can't afford 'fast and free', or any kind of paid promotion - I'm paying to list and paying final fees that shuld be enough to get my items good visibility!  Had far too many glitches on ebay recently, spent 5 hours on customer service (disconected 3 times).. and no resolution to any issues... (although they did admit to an issues)... and not even a token refund from them which may have helped placate me!

Community Member

in reply to shaunicus75

Yes, i find that too Smiley Happy - isn't it always the case that if you restock on that same item they don't sell, but a year later buyers want that item and you have none!  Crystal ball required i think! 

Community Member

in reply to osbcomics

Always amazes me how things sell on Fbook.I only live in a small town population just over 25,000,so the things for sale group for my town maybe only have say a thousand members or less,yet an item wouldnt sell in 30 days on here,sold in a day on fbook,and they picked it up and paid cash in hand.Now for the river site,i had a go with a few listings on there,and hated it,much prefer listing on here,its just visibility and search issues maybe

Community Member

in reply to shaunicus75

selling on f/book is more personal and more direct, these days ebay promote heavily for offsite advertisers both on the listing page and your sell page which increases the chances of the viewer being deflected off your item

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

I noticed that too, just a few ebayers getting all of the sales.  Problem is, the way we have worked and all other ebayers I know, is that you get a slice, you manage those sales and in the main customers are very happy.  If you start suddenly increasing sales to ebayers that are not geared to manage this, then problems occur.

I can't speak for other ebayers, but for ourselves, we have always been reluctant to add staff/resources for ebay because its so volatile and liable to change on ebays latest whim.  Its a cautious approach, but on ebay I think doing anything else is too risky.

This means we have a set number of sales a month, its limited and has pretty much been the same now for the last year.  I mean a few hundred pounds difference... but now 40% down and dropping rapidly! 

Its happened quickly as well, so I can only think it has something to do with the change to search layout.

Community Member

I don't think that Ebay is the only reason for sales being down (we are down 31% on last year) We have a trade counter and several electricians/ builders are saying they are quiet. One of them phoned check a trade and was told that all trades across the board are 

very quiet. This is also confirmed by most of our suppliers who seem to be on the phone every 5 minutes chasing orders.

When you are quiet as a small business is is easy to try and pin it on one thing. Brexit or a forth coming election, council budgets or Bank holidays.

I 've heard it all over the years but it is rarely anything you are doing wrong.

Community Member

in reply to newelectricalsupplies
Community Member

in reply to jls_trading

Just tried this and it came up with 0 items too. I then refreshed the screen and tried again. 986,795 this time. I refreshed again and back to 0. Interesting and worrying!

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to brandinity

brandinity wrote:

Just tried this and it came up with 0 items too. I then refreshed the screen and tried again. 986,795 this time. I refreshed again and back to 0. Interesting and worrying!

So this is happening to me on every 3rd refresh or so.

CS says SITE MAINTENANCE and will be finished in FEW HOURS...

God help us all...

Community Member

in reply to bluetimbo1
It's ******* dead on the buy it now items this week. Had 3 insultingly low offers that's it. Hoping pay-day brings some sales and they fix whatever's going on / make my items more visible. Bit worrying when it goes dead after you've ordered a load of stock..