eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Buy iPhone 6 Now
jl6782010
Community Member

Upgrading to a business account

I have just been informed by ebay that unless I "upgrade" to a business account from a personal account within 1 week I can no longer sell on ebay - they say I have exceeded my selling limits?  - I am not a business, just a private seller who has been saving things to sell at Christmas. I have over 2000 positive feedback comments (over 3 years) and no negative.  I don't understand why I am being forced to do this? - I usually list when it's free listing but apparently I won't be allowed to do this anymore as business sellers don't get free listing...........I really don't know what to do next?

Please use plain text.
star-action-figures
Community Member

Re: Upgrading to a business account

in reply to jl6782010

I wouldn't even consider being a business seller on eBay.

Either sell less, or move to Amazon or a different platform

Please use plain text.
millielilac
Community Member

in reply to jl6782010
The problem is that for whatever reason eBay have scrutinized your account and believe that you are not a private seller just selling of your unwanted items .......perhaps they think 2000 items over 3 years is a lot ....

What might add to their belief is the fact that you sell a lot of clothing items in a wide range of sizes .....its just the way eBay are viiewing your account ....you might have a large family who are all different sizes ...it is possible.

Once eBay have made a decision it is not always easy to convince them otherwise ....you can try putting forward a case ...you might be lucky...
Please use plain text.
phoenixmotorsportuk
Community Member

in reply to millielilac

As soon as you become a business seller, you will need to comply with so many ebay "policies" you will never make any money anyway.  What with distance selling regs and buyers claiming stuff has not arrived, you will never compete with private sellers.

Be thankful for the 2000 items you have sold and start using Amazon or go to boot sales.  Your only other choice is to open another account and sell through a friends name for another 2000 sales.

Please use plain text.
ianwhorlow
Community Member

in reply to phoenixmotorsportuk

The OP registered as a business yesterday?

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Communication Is The Key - It's Good To Talk (but it helps when the other person is listening!
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
1122malcolm
Community Member

in reply to jl6782010

Looking at the amount of listings you have and your high feedback I am not surprised that Ebay insist that you register has a business. But just do it, which I see you have and carry on the same has you have been doing you will not miss out. Ebay do offer free listings to business sellers it is just that has a private seller you have not seen the offers. For peace of mind it may be worh seeking some free advise from an accountant as to whether HRMC would be intrested or not in your venture.  

Please use plain text.
ianjd20
Community Member

in reply to jl6782010

Don't do it. Ebay is making it extremely difficult for business sellers. When I phoned to complain about there new policies and listing requirements, which do not allow me to list easily given my sector, they told me to go back to being a private seller! I have almost stopped listing now. I cannot list my furniture restoration projects easily as they don't allow certain aspects in their policies ie it is impossible to list something for collection only with cash on collection. It only allows payment through PayPal. This means that many buyers think they have to pay through PayPal and consequently this eats into my profits. The list of problems is endless. Oh and I also lost my Top Seller Status because I can't comply with DSR even though my furniture was collection only and didn't have to comply. I only sell small antique items now and sell my furniture elsewhere.

Please use plain text.