Community Newcomer

The new and very scary Ebay resolution system

I don't come on these boards often as I generally don't feel a need to, but something has just been brought to my attention that could potentially be very destructive to ebay businesses and think it should be brought to peoples attention.

I had an international buyer open an INR case last night, which clearly outlined I had until the 20th to deal with, it was late when the notification came through but didn't worry because I thought I'll deal with it today, I'll contact the buyer and reach an amicable resolution, something I always do, either re-send or refund it's up to them. Before I had even had chance to get up and running this morning the case had been escalated and the buyer refunded, so I contact ebay to find out why I was given until the 20th to deal with it (not that I'd leave it that long) yet it was opened, escalated and closed in buyer favour pretty much overnight. Now I have a defect which can't be removed, my first resolution case defect since I started 5 years ago. I spoke to two ebay advisors who were both fairly useless before getting put through to the resolution centre and got to speak with someone who wasn't reading off a script. She informed me that ebay are introducing a new automated system, whereby if it sees no contact is made by the seller to the buyer at any point and no tracking info is provided it automatically escalates and refunds. So ok, yes as sellers we should always communicate and I always do but this new system doesn't give you enough time to deal with it and will leave businesses with defects that could end up shutting them down. It's scary to think that while you are asleep a case could be opened and because you haven't responded instantly it will be escalated and closed and your account given a defect. 

Yet, it states in black and white on the resolution notification that you have 5 days (20th in my case), nowhere does it say this could potentially be escalated autmatically within 12 hours, to warn you to deal with it instantly. 

There will be sellers who switch off over a weekend, or go away for a couple of days, or god forbid go to bed who could switch on and find this has happened to them with no warning.

To be fair the girl I spoke to agreed with me and said this wasn't a good system that's being introduced and she totally agreed that it was potentially dangerous to business who can't operate 24/7. 

So now you know, if you didn't already, if you get a case it may well be dealt with automatically within a matter of hours, no matter what time of day.

Sorry to rant, I'm not bothered about refunding someone, I would have done anyway and claimed some compensation from RM, I'm just annoyed at not being given the chance to deal with it like normal.

Community Member

Re: The new and very scary Ebay resolution system

in reply to inmysleepigrindmyteeth

Can they just implement  something like that or are they obliged to give us notice ?, also is it a change to our contract?, does it apply to UK sales? has yours was an international one. there are so many questions you could have asked, I would have certainly asked for conformation from a supervisor before accepting  it from a Ebay CS adviser. If it is true then Ebay have certainly shot themselves in the foot, no one selling items under £10.00 is going to send it tracked it would not be worth it.

Community Member

[ Edited ]

I think you should fight to get the defect removed - as you had no chance to react to the case.

It could be automatically escalated and resolved - but AFTER the deadline - 20th - not before.

Community Member

in reply to robinet_uk

One more thing - when was the sale and estimated delivery ?

Because if buyer opens the case after some time after the estimated delivery - they don't need to wait till the deadline - they can escalate the case almost instantly ... 

So it rater looks like the CS rep was untrained as it's like that for a long time.

Community Member

That is just bizarre. When I found a 'bone' in a tin of brand name curry it took the retailer 6 weeks to reply and give me a £20 card. The maker claimed it was just fibrous but it nearly broke my tooth and cost me £243.

Community Newcomer

My thought would be that ebay are still forcing uploading tracking numbers and that we are all completely crazy mad if we dont send it tracked or recorded especially overseas, obviously some of us do do this and they loose parcels anyway but at least ebay can see youve sent it tracked as per their advice and theydo want it uploaded when you sell it which i believe would have prevented the instant escalation. You are fortunate you can claim from royal mail and do not have a total loss but tracking should be considered for your peace of mind and ebays
Community Member

in reply to anon1977

tracking is irrelevant

i had a buyer from italy send me an INR yesterdar. I sent the item in early may, it was delivered according to the tracking in mid may. Buyer fully refunded today after he escalated case. Brilliant

Community Member

[ Edited ]

this is what can happen when non intelligent people deal with somebody else money....

they have no resposibility because they work on a fixed salary without any consiquences.... whatever mess they make somebody else pay for their mistakes

cases should never be closed under any circumstances without giving you a chance to resolve, 2-3-5 days, whatever time frame it is, you should be notified and allowed to resolve

Community Member

I had an item not received case open from an item sold to the US 3 months ago even tho the tracking showed it had been delivered. The buyer contacted me using a case because they had broken it!
I complained to eBay on twitter who closed the case in my favour as the item tracking shows it delivered.
Ebay apologised and said they don't know how it could open in the first place...

Every day is a battle here.

I've had two cases open in past two days because I didn't add tracking.. one showed item delivered so then the buyer closed the case... The other is in Peru and there's no way in hell it will have arrived yet...
I've added the tracking now.

I can see me posting to UK and maybe EU only if this continues. It's getting too expensive and too risky to send to buyers from the US site
Community Member

It doesn't seem right you were not given chance to respond. Surely a buyer can only escalate a case after a reasonable about of time.. call ebay and fight them
Community Member

I don't see a reason - at all - to post overseas - even through GSP - as return would kill any profit Smiley Sad not only from returned sale but also next few sales would've to cover the loss..
Community Member

Community Member

Agree. It depends on sale price and profit margin. The items I sell abroad are about £150-£200 each, postage about £12.. if the majority don't get returned it's ok but for example £30 items wouldn't be worth it. It's barely worth me selling anything under £50.. and the Chinese have that down anyway with their lightweight small packets imported for free and by the million. Flooded the site from uk warehouses in 2013 and killed the low end of the market and market value of fashion watches.. anyway I'm ranting..
Community Member

in reply to firkinspares
Holy cow, had you uploaded tracking?
Community Member

in reply to sam_in_barbate

I have just had the same myself, buyer opened INR case 15th June, escaleted and closed in the buyers favour on the 16th June

Case was on ebay.com, there was no tracking number

Case details said I had until the 20th to respond but obviously not!!

This is very very worrying

Community Member

in reply to music_tees_online

Can we have some clarification on this please? Sellers being told they have 5 days to respond to a case but ebay closing the cases in the buyers favour within a matter of hours?

Is this the new resolution system?

Ttotally wrong and very worrying if it is

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to firkinspares

firkinspares wrote:

tracking is irrelevant

i had a buyer from italy send me an INR yesterdar. I sent the item in early may, it was delivered according to the tracking in mid may. Buyer fully refunded today after he escalated case. Brilliant

@firkinspares - Did you upload the tracking to the case? (Not just the sales record.)

I had one recently, uploaded the tracking to the case and it was closed in my favour.

Jo

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to frenchcollection

This happened to us on our other thread, previously mentioned. 

This opens up a new scam loophole to us all. 

Open case, dont reply to our message for 5 days and then message and 5 seconds after your last message escalate it. 

< It's really that easy. 

For ref: what's happened is not what was. It's def. changed. 

Community Member

It's eBay, did you really think someone would have thought this through? Of course not.
Community Member

in reply to frenchcollection

Yup. tracking etc all uploaded and in

I phoned ebay CS today to see why (it was a case opened on a foreign ebay site and thus I went through to ebay.com). Aparently I could not prove that the recipient had or had not recieved it. Despite the tracking stating it had been delivered. They didnt want to accept that the recipient may be lying, or forgetful, or trying it on. I tried to argue the point that surely if the tracking stated delivered and thats no longer an acceptable form, then ebay is going to be affected. The item has been a month+ since it was delivered and the recipient has IMO mislaid it. Or got the wrong thing.. but now he has a free thing.