Community Member

Re: The new and very scary Ebay resolution system

in reply to firkinspares
I think you need to get back in touch with the resolution center, for I think you have been given incorrect advice, is there any chance you could upload a photo of the shipping receipt? I have never know any decent ebay,com rep not to be on the side of the seller, & have had countless cases overturned in my favour after the rep has looked at all the info.....yet hate to admit that I have also spoken to a few reps who clearly were newly trained & really didn't have much of a clue.....get back in touch & ask to talk to a supervisor...
Community Member

in reply to firkinspares

I have asked for your input on this but no reply?

Ebay are telling sellers that they have 5 days to respond to cases, this is a lie as cases are being closed within 24 hours

When cases are escalated ebay are telling sellers that the buyer has escalated the case, this is another lie as it is CS themselves that are escalating the cases

Can we have some clarifaction on this new and worrying system?

Community Member

in reply to music_tees_online

Heres another nice little story for you.. and a positive outcome. BTW, on the one in question, I tried CS again and I just got the same level of wibble. I asked to speak to someone higher up and got told that the case had been settled and there was no further action blah de blah

I got this message from a seller

Buyer:

"I have not received the item, do you have a tracking code for it?"

Hmmmm.... The item was free postage, 2nd class etc.. But it was second class with our friendly QR code, and I placed the delivery information into track and trace and the item had been delivered. 

I said back to buyer all the tracking (not repeated here) "Latest update: Delivered to your address or a neighbour"

I just got this message from the Buyer: "Thanks for the prompt response, I have now located the item thanks. Kind regards"

So.. let me get this right. The buyer had the item for the best part of a couple of weeks. Its not a small item either. Not something that would fall behind a fridge. And when I said it had been delivered, it gets found. Wow. 

SO how many INR in the past have been genuine?. This is getting quite a trend now, my INR were a couple a week (when I used to actually sell stuff)  and now thats changing.. 

I'm happy, but sad at the same time that people are such dishonest barstewards.

eBay Employee

music_tees_online wrote:

Ebay are telling sellers that they have 5 days to respond to cases, this is a lie as cases are being closed within 24 hours

When cases are escalated ebay are telling sellers that the buyer has escalated the case, this is another lie as it is CS themselves that are escalating the cases

Hi @music_tees_online,

Sorry for the delay in reply on this.

24h doesn't sound right indeed.  For eBay.co.uk it is 8 days that you have to respond and for eBay.com it is 3 days. When a buyer opens a claim the timeline is based on their registered site. 

@inmysleepigrindmyteeth Could you please PM me the case number and I will definitely have a look at what has happened there and will be able to clarify further? 

Thank you 

Ilona

Community Member

in reply to anon1977

that we are all completely crazy mad if we dont send it tracked or recorded especially overseas

Unless the value is over £20 I do not send items overseas tracked/signed for. I loose the odd item and have to refund but the postage saving far out weighs any loss. 

Community Member

in reply to ilona_uk@ebay.com

ilona_uk@ebay.com wrote:

music_tees_online wrote:

Hi @music_tees_online,

Sorry for the delay in reply on this.

24h doesn't sound right indeed.  For eBay.co.uk it is 8 days that you have to respond and for eBay.com it is 3 days. When a buyer opens a claim the timeline is based on their registered site. 

@inmysleepigrindmyteeth Could you please PM me the case number and I will definitely have a look at what has happened there and will be able to clarify further? 

Thank you 

Ilona

Hi Ilona thanks for the reply

Yes you are totally correct, this is what the timelines should be regarding sellers having time to respond

When I contacted CS this is the reply I got

I'm sorry for setting your expectation in giving you more time to resolve the buyer's concern. Let me explain what happened. Please be advised that right now, once a buyer opens an "item not received" case, the system will check for a tracking number. Once the system detects that no tracking number was provided on the case and no response from the seller was available, the system will automatically close the case after 24 hours.

Can we have some clarity on this "new" system please and if what CS have told me is true?

Community Member

music_tees_online wrote:

I'm sorry for setting your expectation in giving you more time to resolve the buyer's concern. Let me explain what happened. Please be advised that right now, once a buyer opens an "item not received" case, the system will check for a tracking number. Once the system detects that no tracking number was provided on the case and no response from the seller was available, the system will automatically close the case after 24 hours.

If what you were told was true, then the 7% of buyers whose first class post takes more than one day to arrive, can legitimately buy on Friday, claim INR just after midnight on Sunday, and get their refund before breakfast on Monday morning, without the seller having had a chance to respond.  Then they get their parcel delivered after breakfast - but there is no requirement or provision for them to say so, or repay the refund they have prematurely received.

While the seller is fined and punished with a defect for two heinous faults:

- taking Sunday off

- not knowing that eBay are telling lies again about timescales.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Community Member

in reply to bravergrace

bravergrace wrote:

If what you were told was true, then the 7% of buyers whose first class post takes more than one day to arrive, can legitimately buy on Friday, claim INR just after midnight on Sunday, and get their refund before breakfast on Monday morning, without the seller having had a chance to respond.  Then they get their parcel delivered after breakfast - but there is no requirement or provision for them to say so, or repay the refund they have prematurely received.

- taking Sunday off

What is worse that once unscrupulous buyers learn of this, the amount of INR cases could be horrendous has will also the claims for lost items against RM. 

Community Member

in reply to 1122malcolm

1122malcolm wrote:

bravergrace wrote:

- taking Sunday off

What is worse that once unscrupulous buyers learn of this, the amount of INR cases could be horrendous has will also the claims for lost items against RM. 

But the RM claims will be thrown out.

Because the buyers' INR claims are not false - they are true.

The buyer has not received the item on time - we know that 7% of items will not be delivered on time (plus the ones that aren't successfully delivered, because they won't fit through the letterbox).  The buyer makes a true claim, following eBay procedure (claim can be made on the day after the estimated delivery date), and then does nothing.  The old procedure was that no refund would be given unless the buyer confirmed that they still hadn't received their item a few days later (7 calendar days on the UK site, 3 working days on the American site).  The new procedure does it automatically after 24 hours.  So the buyer comes home from work to find:

(a) the item or a card on their doormat

(b) a full refund made to their Paypal account

(c) no procedure to repay the sum to the seller, who has DONE NOTHING WRONG.

eBay's view appears to be that sellers are now guaranteeing that anything delivered after eBay's estimated delivery date, will become an automatic free gift to the buyer.  

If this is so, then all sellers can do is to extend their delivery times and service used, to minimize the number of late deliveries.  Or shell out an extra £5.50 a time to send all international items tracked or signed for.

Community Member

in reply to bravergrace

bravergrace wrote:

1122malcolm wrote:

bravergrace wrote:

- taking Sunday off

But the RM claims will be thrown out.

Because the buyers' INR claims are not false - they are true.

The buyer has not received the item on time - we know that 7% of items will not be delivered on time (plus the ones that aren't successfully delivered, because they won't fit through the letterbox).  The buyer makes a true claim, following eBay procedure (claim can be made on the day after the estimated delivery date), and then does nothing.  The old procedure was that no refund would be given unless the buyer confirmed that they still hadn't received their item a few days later (7 calendar days on the UK site, 3 working days on the American site).  The new procedure does it automatically after 24 hours.  So the buyer comes home from work to find:

(a) the item or a card on their doormat

(b) a full refund made to their Paypal account

(c) no procedure to repay the sum to the seller, who has DONE NOTHING WRONG.

eBay's view appears to be that sellers are now guaranteeing that anything delivered after eBay's estimated delivery date, will become an automatic free gift to the buyer.  

If this is so, then all sellers can do is to extend their delivery times and service used, to minimize the number of late deliveries.  Or shell out an extra £5.50 a time to send all international items tracked or signed for.

We are talking about untracked items, so RM will have no record of whether the item was delivered or not, but the seller will have proof that the buyer has claimed that the item was not delivered because the buyer will have had to open a INR case. The fact will remain that sellers will make more claims not whether RM will pay out. 

Community Member

in reply to 1122malcolm

The seller will have proof (the buyer's word) that the item was not delivered the day after posting.

If RM asks the buyer to confirm whether the item was subsequently delivered, the buyer will either ignore this, or answer "yes, it was delivered, two days after posting".  This benefits nobody.

The seller loses their claim, the buyer has no official means to repay the refund which they did not request (because the escalation from "my item hasn't arrived on time" to "the seller is a wicked seller who will be punished for RM's failure to achieve a 100% next-day delivery guarantee for non-guaranteed mail" is automatic, with no input from the buyer), and RM marks the seller down as making a false claim - seeking compensation for an item which was delivered within RM's target time (viz, 93% of first class post to be delivered or attempted delivered on the next working day, and the other 7% not long afterwards).

And the eBay solution, is that if the item is not delivered on time, the seller should arrange for Royal Mail to redirect it to the sender.  (Royal Mail will not do this, and cannot legally do it, unless the buyer refuses delivery.)

Community Member

in reply to bravergrace

bravergrace wrote:

because the escalation from "my item hasn't arrived on time" to "

Sorry am I missing something here? since when has a item not arriving on time been a reason to open or escalate a case? I was under the impression you could only open cases for INR.

Community Member

in reply to 1122malcolm

1122malcolm wrote:

bravergrace wrote:

because the escalation from "my item hasn't arrived on time" to "

Sorry am I missing something here? since when has a item not arriving on time been a reason to open or escalate a case? I was under the impression you could only open cases for INR.

I had a case opened last week.

The buyer sent me a message along the lines of "my item hasn't arrived yet, probably still in Customs, don't worry, just letting you know."  eBay interpreted this as INR, and opened a case.

The INR case can be opened the day after eBay's estimated date.  That means it cannot be a claim for "My item never arrived and must be presumed lost".  It is a claim for "eBay said first class post is guaranteed next day service, and it didn't arrive next day".

This has always been the case - if an item hasn't arrived by eBay's estimate (in common parlance, if it is late), a buyer can open an INR case.  

In the past, the buyer could only escalate it by waiting the required time, and then confirming that the item still hadn't arrived.

The new automated system - if reports are true - gives automatic escalation, even if the buyer has received the item in the meantime.  Not because the buyer is making a false claim - the buyer is making a true claim - but because the buyer is being compensated (with free goods) for the item arriving late.

Community Member

in reply to bravergrace

ilona_uk@ebay.com

Can we have a update please?

eBay Employee

[ Edited ]

music_tees_online wrote:

ilona_uk@ebay.com

Can we have a update please?

Hi @music_tees_online

Thanks for following up but I'm waiting for the OP to send me details of the case so I can review, as without that I can't see what has happened.  

Having said so I have spoken to our resolution team and there are no changes. It is still 8 days (UK) and 3 days (US) for the seller to respond and 24h timeframe is not right.

Once I have details from the OP I will be able to review further.

Thanks 

Ilona 

Community Member

in reply to ilona_uk@ebay.com

ilona_uk@ebay.com wrote:
[...] Thanks for following up but I'm waiting for the OP to send me details of the case so I can review, as without that I can't see what has happened. [...]

I'm sorry but I don't understand ?? 

Can't someone at your end - or you in person - check all cases for OP's account - and if it wasn't for this account - check his all other accounts ??

Is it really so hard ??

Community Member

in reply to robinet_uk
They are not allowed to access an account without direct contact from the seller or buyer or if they think it has been compromised, so they wouldn't be able to go shuffling through the OPs sales, wonder if the OP has done anything more?.
eBay Employee

in reply to robinet_uk

robinet_uk wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand ?? 

Can't someone at your end - or you in persyour end - oon - check all cases for OP's account - and if it wasn't for this account - check his all other accounts ??

Is it really so hard ??

No problem, let me give you some clarification on this @robinet_uk

For privacy reasons, I need the OP to contact me directly and give me permission to look into this and also to make sure we are reviewing the correct details.

Hope that clarifies now.

Thanks 

Ilona 

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to sam_in_barbate

ilona_uk@ebay.com

I have been told completly different by CS and we have 2 confirmed cases, 1 of which was mine, of open requests being closed by CS within 24 hours of them being opened without the seller having a chance to respond

I was told by CS that this is a new system, here is what they said.

i'm sorry for setting your expectation in giving you more time to resolve the buyer's concern. Let me explain what happened. Please be advised that right now, once a buyer opens an "item not received" case, the system will check for a tracking number. Once the system detects that no tracking number was provided on the case and no response from the seller was available, the system will automatically close the case after 24 hours.

eBay Employee

music_tees_online wrote:

ilona_uk@ebay.com

I have been told completly different by CS and we have 2 confirmed cases, 1 of which was mine, of open requests being closed by CS within 24 hours of them being opened without the seller having a chance to respond

I was told by CS that this is a new system, here is what they said.

i'm sorry for setting your expectation in giving you more time to resolve the buyer's concern. Let me explain what happened. Please be advised that right now, once a buyer opens an "item not received" case, the system will check for a tracking number. Once the system detects that no tracking number was provided on the case and no response from the seller was available, the system will automatically close the case after 24 hours.

Thanks for sharing this @music_tees_online

I can get that checked for you as well as the communication you have received from CS, however, I would request that you provide details such as case numbers through PM as this is your account details and they would not be allowed posted here. 

Thanks 

Ilona