Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Although what you see on these boards may not be representative of the site as a whole, in general there have been reports of an increase in the number of INR reports/claims.

Some of the claims will be genuine - a look at the buyer's feedback (left and received) may give you a clue.  Suspected false claims should be flagged to customer services.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

Although what you see on these boards may not be representative of the site as a whole, in general there have been reports of an increase in the number of INR reports/claims.

Some of the claims will be genuine - a look at the buyer's feedback (left and received) may give you a clue.  Suspected false claims should be flagged to customer services.

Message 2 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Thanks, that is a sensible way of looking at it.  I would like to think these are all genuine and I treat everyone as if it is a geniune claim but that is a good idea to have a look at their feedback history for any clues! Thanks for that 🙂

Message 3 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yeah its icreased in the last few months.  I think Royal Mail are hideous tbh

Message 4 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I think its down to buyers getting wise on how to get freebies. We sent an item recorded delivery. The buyer signed for it and then emailed to say that the package was unsealed with no contents in it. The package was very well packed and taped. Trading on ebay for many years makes you very cynical so we checked this buyer out. First of all, why would you sign for a packet that was obviously opened and contents missing. Secondly, we emailed every seller on his feedback for the last 2 months and three other sellers replied to us stating the same thing happened to them. Now this buyer has got excellent feedback so do not take anyones feedback as if its a cast iron garuantee that they are honest. Hes goinf to make a claim for a refund anytime now, we contacted CS and lets see what happens. Just another point, i have been buying items off of ebay for over 8 years and have never had any items go missing when sent to me - sorry i am being cynical again!

Message 5 of 1,017
See Most Recent

aadds100

I have definately noticed an increase in the last couple of months.  Funny thing is everything I have purchased has arrived. Maybe I am a bit cyncial aswell

Message 6 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I've had a number as a buyer over the last year (from various sites, so the only common denominator was the postal service) and none before about last Christmas (in the eight and a half years btw 2002 and winter 2010-2011), so I'm not sure it's wholly one-sided. I can't speak as a seller as I no longer sell in any considerable volume (no time) but just thought I'd put my side of the picture.

I'm at the point now where buying online has become a bit of a lottery and I'm not as trigger-happy as I used to be :(. I was very surprised when a box of printer ink I'd ordered on Friday turned up as promised on Saturday (not from eBay but from a dedicated ink site).

Forget mittens for kittens, how about foxgloves?
Message 7 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Tell me about it.

In whole 2011, I never had "lost"  package.  This year alone, 4 times!!!!

Last week, I checked 50 receipts from 1st to 15th February, I was shocked to find that 20 out of these 50 weren't shown "deleivered" in the website.  I expected many of the customers had checked the website even though they had received them.

Last year, we did not have "tracking number" listed in eBay, did we?  This year, I had to write tracking number each listings.

Message 8 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Tell me about it.

Last week, I checked 50 receipts from 1st to 15th February, I was shocked to find that 20 out of these 50 weren't shown "deleivered" in the website.  I expected many of the customers had checked the website even though they had received them.

Last year, we did not have "tracking number" listed in eBay, did we?  This year, I had to write tracking number each listings.

That has always been the normal failure rate for RD. If 40% fail to show delivery on RM's website, then it is a shocking waste of buyers' money anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein
Message 9 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Tell me about it.

Last week, I checked 50 receipts from 1st to 15th February, I was shocked to find that 20 out of these 50 weren't shown "deleivered" in the website.  I expected many of the customers had checked the website even though they had received them.

If those were all recorded delivery - you paid for a signature and haven't got the service you paid for - try reclaiming your RD costs from RM.

Message 10 of 1,017
See Most Recent

mishelflo

This is why I suggested a couple of weeks ago that we should leave an apology on the Buyers Feedback saying "I am so sorry  the item has been lost in the Post":( 

At least other Sellers would be able to see at a glance how many of the Buyers Items HAD been lost in the post.  Now I dont know what the Percentage of lost Post is, but I would say more than 4 in a year would be a VERY unlucky Buyer.

But ALL Sellers would have to be propared to leave this Comment, but I dont think they will because of fear, I dont know why, because Buyers are quite happy to leave a Comment saying their Item has been lost, leaving the Seller looking bad!

By the way, I am saying this because I have had 2 lost in the last month.  I think 1 was genuine, not sure about the other.  I have only been selling since last June, but before this I had only lost 1 Item and I dont even think that was lost!

No losses over Chrismas and I sent out hundreds.  Trouble is, while people are getting away with it, we are paying the price, even if you did bother to go though the HELL of trying to get your recompense from RM, you are still paying because RM have to put prices up because of these scammers!

Bit like the Whiplash junkies with Car Insurace:(

Still, this is only my opinion and to be honest I am a bit hacked off with ebay at the moment as my shop says I have nothing to Sell!!  I just put it in holiday mode for a few days and thats the way they treat me.  I thought I had paid for a Service whether on holiday or not, my Items should still be showing for people to bookmark to come back!!

Message 11 of 1,017
See Most Recent

My local postie, who is also a friend and neighbour, tells me most items lost are due to illegible handwriting or inomplete addresses. Incorrect postcodes means the item goes to completely the wrong area and then forwarded on to a central division, so its delayed upto 10 days. The moral of the story is always print a label and always put on a return address.

Message 12 of 1,017
See Most Recent

At least other Sellers would be able to see at a glance how many of the Buyers Items HAD been lost in the post.  Now I dont know what the Percentage of lost Post is, but I would say more than 4 in a year would be a VERY unlucky Buyer.

Well, as I posted, I am that unlucky buyer - from various sites, including where the seller didn't even send until after I raised a dispute (on Play so no buyer feedback to 'help' you monitor what is, nine times out of ten, out of our control completely).

There is another side to the story, believe it or not. Take a look over at Buyer Central and see how many items actually don't turn up.

Forget mittens for kittens, how about foxgloves?
Message 13 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I've had a number as a buyer over the last year (from various sites, so the only common denominator was the postal service) and none before about last Christmas (in the eight and a half years btw 2002 and winter 2010-2011), so I'm not sure it's wholly one-sided. I can't speak as a seller as I no longer sell in any considerable volume (no time) but just thought I'd put my side of the picture.

I'm at the point now where buying online has become a bit of a lottery and I'm not as trigger-happy as I used to be :(. I was very surprised when a box of printer ink I'd ordered on Friday turned up as promised on Saturday (not from eBay but from a dedicated ink site).

There is another common denominator, that being your address though I guess you havent contacted Royal Mail yourself to see why there having such a problem with your deliverys. But then why should you go to the trouble when you can just claim your money back off any unsuspecting fool who unwittingly sends their valuables to your address.

success = talent + luck
great success = a little more talent + a lot of luck
Message 14 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi,

Its failry true that Royal mail is no longer Royal and they are only cheaoest option we all have.

Dozens of our items lost in the last 2-3 weeks and buyers getting frustrated ..We have to trust the buyer because they were the recorded delivery items ..

But buyers are cheaters as well ...i send the item recorded delivery ..Tracking says buyer missed the delivery ...buyer contacted us she hasn't received the item ..we told her to go and pick it up from the post office or rebook it ...she said she has gone to the post office and they saod they have lost the item...we then told her to rebook the delivery she was keep on saying no i dont want to book the redelivery because item has been lost than where will they deliver it from ..We booked the redelivery for her and again she came back saying she hasnot received the item ...

Hats off to ROYAL MAIL ..who never update the tracking info ...it keeps on coming on the tracking the they missed the delivery ...

Buyer opened the case on and we kept on saying that you have received the item ..and finally buyer admits in the resolution centre that the postoffice found the item and i received it know and she closed the case ,,,

But royal mail still showing we missed the delivery on the tracking update and most of the times in this few week period royal mail is not updating the tracked parcel on the website and buyers takes advantage and says not deliveered because royal mail shows in progress.

At the end who is at loss we sellers who are genuine and true to their words and provide best possible service ..

Even paypal is not trustworthy ...i had the buyer who purchased the item and open dispute the same day on paypal ..we came to know later and dispatched the item and gave all trackings to paypal and item worth £25 deliveered as well but paypal refunded full money back.

We than rang the buyer and told her to return the goods than she said she we will pay back the amount ..Good luck to us she paid the amount back ..But its really a big pain because scams are increasing every day ..

Message 15 of 1,017
See Most Recent

melsboys

I have to say also that i too am beginning to become a little concerned on my other account(not this one) i have since march the 1st to today had 6 claims for items not recieved, i also find this increase very unusual especially as since december i had probably had one lost item and yet not even to the end of the month i have had 6 already, i send out on average 10 items a day and use paypal postage, now every morning when i turn the computer on i'm looking for where my item message, i personally have bought loads over the years on being on ebay (10 years) and in that time i have not recieved 3 items.

ive never had a lost item sent back to me either makes me wonder where they all go???

Message 16 of 1,017
See Most Recent

This month, I've had several 1st class shipments take over a week to arrive. I've never known it so bad even when the country was covered by snow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein
Message 17 of 1,017
See Most Recent

cp2222222

I have noticed a big increase since the beginning of January. I was dreading the Xmas period as it was my first as a busy seller but that was fine, since then its gone downhill. And they have the cheek to up the prices soon as well!

Message 18 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yes, 4 missing parcels all posted over a couple of days. All recorded, none showing as delivered or a delivery attempt made. When there's this many it shows up as a trend, but each customer thinks they're the only one affected and reacts accordingly.

Message 19 of 1,017
See Most Recent

wonder where they all go???

They go to Belfast where they're auctioned off if they can't determine who the sender was.

Since all our post has a logo packaging tape with a web address, a return label on the back, a comp slip inside with our address, phone number, email and website....oh, and a franking label with a license number on it.....

I also wonder why we've never had one returned from an address within the UK....only ever for a couple of international parcels.

If they can't determine who the sender was from all that it leaves just one obvious conclusion......they think after 15 days you'll have put a claim through, had compensation, and so they've bought the item off you....personally since we hardly claim I prefer to think of it as outright theft and criminal intent.

Message 20 of 1,017
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: