Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

The solution is Click and Drop links to eby and Amazon and other ecommerce platforms

http://www.royalmail.com/confirmation

https://parcel.royalmail.com

Well worth it. You get a slightly better price and no queuing. We used to use it before we went with Zenstores/NetDespatch and it is very convenient.

Message 641 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I used the official drop off system a few years ago before I got my own postal meter. The Post Office staff hated it as they still had a load of forms to fill in.

Instead I came to a private arrangement with my local Post Office that suited both of us. I dropped off my parcels and they franked them during a quiet period, with the proviso that they would always be done that day.

I just wrote the postage class on the parcels and they had a 'float' of money I topped up every now and then to cover costs. The next day I got my receipts from the day before.

We happily operated on this system for a couple of years before I moved house and got a meter. I never queued and neither the staff or other customers got frustrated as I only had to hand over my bag of post.

I don't think a main post office would do this but a sub post office might be glad of the business.

Message 642 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Small POs would be more than happy as when THEY print labels - they get money for this - as when you leave bag of mail and manifest from OBA / Click&Drop - they are doing it for free 😉
Message 643 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Im having an awful spell of items lost with RM & what with RM not really wanting to pay compensation

unless you have what i class as unnecessary proof, in order for them not to have to pay out, so i really need to start

looking for another postal service, i'm also experiencing one of ebays strange patterns where im sellling more than ever

overseas! not a good pattern to have with so many lost items atm

Message 644 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Is it common knowledge you get an update on RM Tracking w/site with a normal £2.90 2nd class parcel with the

reference number you get on the proof of postage receipt?

i find this handy, but i had one that said it had been delivered to either the actual address or a neighbour but the buyer said

it had not arrived, i claimed on that one & RM paid out so not sure how accurate that service is

Message 645 of 1,017
See Most Recent

For some reason this seems to happen. Parcels all go missing within a short period. Buyers all come from the same area or country. I can't figure it out either!
Message 646 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yup, I just had one as well. Very annoying that you have to wait 10 days to claim even though they're supposed to deliver in 3!

Message 647 of 1,017
See Most Recent

tiltanslide
Contributor
I have had a couple of tracked items just disappear, I paid the extra for first class signed for, and the dozey buggers have "Lost" it. Now my item was worth £55 and they say they pay out a maximum of £34. **bleep** is that all about. They "Lost" my £55 parcel but only pay me £34. I think there maybe some light fingered postpeople out there.
Message 648 of 1,017
See Most Recent

tiltanslide
Contributor
Going to start using Hermes more, at least they get things delivered.
Message 649 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Its supposed to be £50 for 1st & 2nd class signed for "lost items" with RM

Message 650 of 1,017
See Most Recent

... and if Hermes lose it they pay the full value of its value up to £25 or more if you select the higher value option on higher value stuff and so do other couriers. RM only pay cost  - not value so if you manufacture like myself you lose out plus you have to supply all the invoices connevted to that product - all that work just to get the raw value of components. Said it before the whole system needs a shake up or some serious competition.

Message 651 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Definately £50 on S/For compo - it says so on thier own website 'Get A Price'. 

Message 652 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Isnt it strange though that only 50% of our sales are on eBay and 100% of "lost" items are on eBay? You are on rock solid territory with Signed For but RM will only pay the cost of the goods plus postage paid and want proof of what you paid. I think this all harks back to when it was government owned.

We have looked at insurance costs with other couriers and on average insurance is about 10% of the value insured. Does that mean they expect to lose about 10% of consigments plus a bit of profit? It seems like a license to print money. Some of our regular trade customers won't pay insurance as they know its a con.

Message 653 of 1,017
See Most Recent

And it could get worse though what with ebay copying amazon left right and centre. Just wait until the amazon locker scam comes into force here - you can not send recorded to a locker and the scammers know this full well and whilst they are only meant for amazon fullfilled orders idiots try to use them for everything whilst ignoring any communication and esculating cases which are automatically refunded even though amazon now they should not be able to use the locker address. I can see the advert now Ebay lockers coming soon at a store near you 😉
choose hpnotebooks for all your hp/compaq needs
Message 654 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Just had and INR in B.C. in Canada. It was sent tracked and signed, so I checked the tracking number and it was last scanned in Toronto. I have just had my contact in Royal Mail check the tracking with Canada Post and he tells me that Canada Post do not track incoming international items. I wonder if the intended recipeint knows that and I wonder why he waited 6 weeks to make a claim?

Message 655 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I bought some items from Australia, and they seemed to be taking forever to arrive. [goods were insured, £125's worth ]

Contacted seller, and she said Tracking her end had ceased at Sydney Airport.

I took up the tracking, and it showed all tracking..to the nearest DO ..and it said ''your package is on it's way...to SYDNEY.

What the heck?

Turns out seller had put an extra digit on our house  number, making it way too huge for the street- had it been our usual postie, he's have gone by the surname.

Anyway, the package was pinged back, once it got to seller's farm in the outback, having travelled one and a half times around the world, and we received it safely. 🙂

Message 656 of 1,017
See Most Recent

VeloduoCycles..sounds a bit ''off'' ..but give him/her the benefit of the doubt..contact them, and ask if they have received it- if they are

honest, they might cooperate with you- they might be able to fill out a missing item report?

If they are being a dishonest douche-well, I don't know what you sold them, but if something bike related let's hope they fall off!

Was it a verified paypal address?

Message 657 of 1,017
See Most Recent

It did actually turn up in BC eventually, some 2 months later. The customer eventually paid up (we had already refunded) after bit of chasing.

@oakleaffy wrote:

VeloduoCycles..sounds a bit ''off'' ..but give him/her the benefit of the doubt..contact them, and ask if they have received it- if they are

honest, they might cooperate with you- they might be able to fill out a missing item report?

If they are being a dishonest douche-well, I don't know what you sold them, but if something bike related let's hope they fall off!

Was it a verified paypal address?

We are getting more business from Canada now  and we are startinng to get a bit worried if Canada Post is as bad as people say it is. Some forums have said there is a backlog of small parcels and they can't cope, so are saving it up into batches and paying subcontractors to do the deliveries.

Message 658 of 1,017
See Most Recent

the recorded delivery was probably just not recorded laughing

Message 659 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Velocycles...Glad your item turned up.

My son worked in Whistler for the Mountain bike season, and we sent each other small parcels with no issues, but they weren't valuable or 'commercial' items.

Message 660 of 1,017
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: