Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

billtev
Conversationalist

A buyer sent me a large letter with £35.00 cash in it 2 weeks ago - was incorrectly addressed to myself - only name, town and postcode on it - did arrive at the sorting office but no one knew who it was for and was returrned after 2 days to postcode on letter - was actually sent to Belfast - I contact business royal mail on this last Monday gave the details on the letter and lo and behold the lady received her letter back on Saturday morning, in a registered letter from Belfast with her cash intact in it - I know items can go missing but 99% of the time I put down to dishonest buyers or buyers who cant be bothered checking at their sorting offices for non delivered parcels which usually come back to me marked not collected!  Royal mail were absolutely brilliant on this especially with it containing cash!

Message 421 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I have been waiting over 10 days for several parcels I bought and have been accused of lying when I have informed the sellers!
Message 422 of 1,017
See Most Recent

You shouldn't keep blaming buyers, they aren't responsible for the post.
Message 423 of 1,017
See Most Recent

yes

I have had two lost in 6 weeks.

prior to that nothing lost in six years

Message 424 of 1,017
See Most Recent

lots of differing views from sellers and buyers, i send some things recorded and a few things (cheaper) not recorded. strangely enough ALL my undelivered items are the unrecorded items. i will leave judgement to the community.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Man Wink
Message 425 of 1,017
See Most Recent

It was Birthday on Sun and several parcels had not arrived. Some from ebay, some were gifts that were sent to me. I called into the sorting office today and all the parcels were there (15 days post delivery). I had not received a delivery card. I am an honest buyer and the tone of some of the sellers on this page and those I've bought from that have basically accused me of lying frankly **bleep** me off and makes me think I'd rather pay a bit more from the mass market.
Message 426 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@kris5161 wrote:

lots of differing views from sellers and buyers, i send some things recorded and a few things (cheaper) not recorded. strangely enough ALL my undelivered items are the unrecorded items. i will leave judgement to the community.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Man Wink

I had an item go missing last year. When I informed the seller, she said 'but I sent it signed for!' Tracking showed it hadn't been delivered, and yet, she still thought I was lying.

Another time, I ordered lots of makeup from one of my favourite sellers, which didn't turn up. I considered not telling them, out of fear they would block me, and I'd lose out on buying from them. I decided a £20 order was too much to ignore, so I messaged them. Turns out they had sent it all signed for, without me realising, so they knew I was telling the truth when they checked the barcode.

I actually feel quite queasy when I have to contact a seller about an item not arriving - makes me feel like they'll loathe me. I buy absolutely hundreds of things, and most of the missing items are from private sellers not sending it because they started the auction too low, but several have been from businesses, or from genuinely honest private sellers.

It's not a nice experience as a buyer, either.

Message 427 of 1,017
See Most Recent

"You shouldn't keep blaming buyers, they aren't responsible for the post."

And neither are sellers but it is the seller who gets it in the neck time after time after time

Message 428 of 1,017
See Most Recent

We wrote on the 27th June that we have had 20 parcels go missing in the past six weeks - it is now 3 days later - make that 23 as another three have gone walkabout.

We are now sending 23 letters of copies of customer complaints from all of our online selling outlets to every board member of Royal Mail inclusive of Moya Greene the Chief Executive, problem is that only half of them will get there.

We were about to open an account as we send over 1000 parcels a month but now are looking at private couriers as Royal Mail have ceased to be interested in complaints.

All the talk in the world will not stop them loosing post, so vote with your feet and go elseware.

Message 429 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@stickandgowalltiles wrote:

We wrote on the 27th June that we have had 20 parcels go missing in the past six weeks - it is now 3 days later - make that 23 as another three have gone walkabout.

We are now sending 23 letters of copies of customer complaints from all of our online selling outlets to every board member of Royal Mail inclusive of Moya Greene the Chief Executive, problem is that only half of them will get there.

We were about to open an account as we send over 1000 parcels a month but now are looking at private couriers as Royal Mail have ceased to be interested in complaints.

All the talk in the world will not stop them loosing post, so vote with your feet and go elseware.

100% pure Egyptian Cotton
Message 430 of 1,017
See Most Recent

A buyer sent me a large letter with £35.00 cash in it 2 weeks ago - was incorrectly addressed to myself - only name, town and postcode on it - did arrive at the sorting office but no one knew who it was for and was returrned after 2 days to postcode on letter - was actually sent to Belfast - I contact business royal mail on this last Monday gave the details on the letter and lo and behold the lady received her letter back on Saturday morning, in a registered letter from Belfast with her cash intact in it - I know items can go missing but 99% of the time I put down to dishonest buyers or buyers who cant be bothered checking at their sorting offices for non delivered parcels which usually come back to me marked not collected! Royal mail were absolutely brilliant on this especially with it containing cash!

Why on earth would anyone sent cash in the post!
Message 431 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I have had so many items not arriving ( cough ) that I cant even count how many, its a daily occurrance, however this doesnt happen on another site I sell on. I find it completely soul destroying

Message 432 of 1,017
See Most Recent

What site? I might move.
Message 433 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@letzmakeup wrote:

I have had so many items not arriving ( cough ) that I cant even count how many, its a daily occurrance, however this doesnt happen on another site I sell on. I find it completely soul destroying

If my buyers are being honest then royal mail are losing quite a few. Or people are expecting royal mail to get everything there within a few days and not 15 working days.

I'm getting INR cases regular or messages asking where the item is.

All just envelopes as well. It does wear you down.

Message 434 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@vimage.signs.and.decals wrote:

All just envelopes as well. It does wear you down.

They definitely do lose envelopes, I regularly find them in my mailbags when the sorting office deliver them.

Message 435 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yeah true, we sometimes get mail delivered here. Same house number but wrong road. Or sometimes somebody elses mail in the road.

I just put them back in the box or take them to the post office. I'm not paid to deliver mail.

Maybe this happens to sellers post when it does take 15 days or more sometimes.

Message 436 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi yes! I visit my sorting office at least twice a week and they tell me there has been quite a big increase in both items simply being mis-delivered or nit delivered at all! Their advice is send ANYTHING via a trackable service - which of course gives them more revenue!- but also gives you as the consumer a proper opportunity to obtain compensation when things go astray.
Message 437 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@h2bf2011 wrote:
Hi yes! I visit my sorting office at least twice a week and they tell me there has been quite a big increase in both items simply being mis-delivered or nit delivered at all! Their advice is send ANYTHING via a trackable service - which of course gives them more revenue!- but also gives you as the consumer a proper opportunity to obtain compensation when things go astray.

Why pay RM more money for a system that doesn't work?  Either Self Insure or use an alternative courier if you insist on tracking.

Message 438 of 1,017
See Most Recent

@**silvervixen** wrote:

There is another side to the story, believe it or not. Take a look over at Buyer Central and see how many items actually don't turn up.

Surely you mean allegedly don't turn up.

I alway's have POP or tracking but apart from your say so what proof do you have of none receipt.

Might sound harsh but like flies in winter.  Just where doe's all the undelivered mail end up? I know I have never had one sent back to me. And yes I have had them all, from 3 minutes after estimate to 58 days. Some you can sense are genuine but others stink worse than a 6 month old kipper left out in the sun. All get treated the same, apologise for the loss in transit. Their choice of refund or replace as soon as possible (ignore the RM 15 day rule just do the right thing), then ensure that it can't happen again

Message 439 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Yes, they do. I'm disgusted by the amount of mail I find in the mailbags, including recorded delivery items.
Message 440 of 1,017
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: