Royal Mail.......lost items!!!!!

Hi, has anyone noticed an increase in UK Royal Mail packages going "missing" recently. In the last 2 days I have had 3 different buyers claiming item has not arrived. One looks genuine as it is Recorded Delivery which has not arrived. The other 2 are fairly low value First Class items and of course I have no way of knowing if  this is genuine or not.

Prior to this (I have "lost" a few international parcels) but only 1 UK parcel last year went astray and never turned up.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Message 1 of 1,017
See Most Recent
1,016 REPLIES 1,016

This forum was brought to my attention from my business partner and can concur with all mentioned that there seems to be more than ever an increase in claims.

I don't know if it helps anybody but came across this blog that lists all the worldwide postal services. At least it gives half a chance of tracking them.

http://trackpackage.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/track-package-brazil-post-office.html

Message 21 of 1,017
See Most Recent

mishelflo

Another Item gone missing!! Thats 3 that have gone missing in February and I had one returned to me today saying, buyer didnt collect after failure to deliver!!

In all fairness, I have to say, this last one was sent out from my Web Site, not ebay!

Not long now!!:)

Message 22 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I've had 3 INR this week too!  I've been seding them normal 1st Class post.  I'm not sure what to do now, whether to make all my postage recorded delivery, or whether to carry on as I am.

It just seems a bit odd that it's all happened in the last week?  I have return labels on the back of all my parcels too, so why don't I end up getting any sent back to me?

Something strange is going on here I think.....

Message 23 of 1,017
See Most Recent

love*to*share

I would just like to add my concerns too.

Been buying off the internet since 2001 and never had an item go missing (that I was the recipient of) until about 2 weeks ago when I had one.

Also had many items that went missing to uk buyers in 2011 and a couple already this year and I haven't even sold much this year. I dont have these troubles with international buyers, its just UK buyers.

I always do clear and well sellotapted labels and return address on every single one but none have ever come back to me! which makes me believe that the royal mail are VERY dishonest so even when they have a sender addy, they dont even bother to send it back!

Message 24 of 1,017
See Most Recent

watchdog@bbc.co.uk

We should all write to Watchdog and complain about  Royal Mail.  WHY are our items not being sent back to us? 

I'm assuming that my buyers are not fraudulent, it's not as if I sell high value items

Let's start a campaign for a better postal service.

Message 25 of 1,017
See Most Recent

It is certainly odd that in 7 years trading and thousands of UK packages sent, not one lost item has ever found its way home, despite a return address being clearly shown.

I have had a handfull of overseas packages returned, but they were almost all ISF shipments which I rarely use anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein
Message 26 of 1,017
See Most Recent

jacsll55
Conversationalist

OP - This is my stats from Jan to March 2012

Jan - 7 INR - 1 refunded and 6 replaced

Feb - 3 INR - 3 Replaced

Marc - (so far) 5 INR - 2 (overseas) refunded - 3 replaced.

I sell low value items, this is what I do maybe it helps some of you guys here - I only offer refund for overseas buyers as its not worth sending replacements, UK buyers I try not to give in to offer a refund unless the buyer says on the following Monday I wanted it for a party on Saturday!

All replacements no matter the value goes out Recorded (after I ask the buyer to confirm the address I posted the original to is correct) then I leave a feedback like this " ITEM LOST IN POST, REPLACEMENT SENT 09/03 RM# AI3922 6574 XXXXGB" THANKS 4 THE CUSTOM"

Moving goal posts is BULLYING!
Message 27 of 1,017
See Most Recent

All replacements no matter the value goes out Recorded (after I ask the buyer to confirm the address I posted the original to is correct) then I leave a feedback like this " ITEM LOST IN POST, REPLACEMENT SENT 09/03 RM# AI3922 6574 XXXXGB" THANKS 4 THE CUSTOM"

That is a seriously dangerous practice. Any buyer complaining to eBay about that kind of feedback will probably get it removed as a false positive. That will damage your account. Also you are publishing a tracking number online which is data that should only be shared between you and your buyer :_|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Albert Einstein
Message 28 of 1,017
See Most Recent

jacsll55
Conversationalist

That is a seriously dangerous practice. Any buyer complaining to eBay about that kind of feedback will probably get it removed as a false positive.

What is false in the feedback? "Item Lost in post"

Yes that is what the buyer has said? then Tracking number? It is not false its the correct one! eeer, then maybe the THANK YOU BIT! you are right!!

Also you are publishing a tracking number online which is data that should only be shared between you and your buyer

No, you are wrong about this, I can prove it to you!

:_|

Moving goal posts is BULLYING!
Message 29 of 1,017
See Most Recent

No worries then, I simply speak from my own experience. In the past, I've had similar truthful feedback removed by eBay. "Sorry that the second shipment also failed to arrive but happily refunded" got me a noticeable black mark from eBay.

They are a law unto their own, so I don't take too many chances with them anymore. 😄

- Albert Einstein
Message 30 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone who commented on my post, seems we all have very similar concerns and there are so many issues involved. Hope Royal Mail improve their service when the prices go up!!!!! But that is another post..........

Message 31 of 1,017
See Most Recent

This is affecting me.

I haven't had any items fail to arrive over the last 9 months yet this week alone I have have had 2.

I have sent a replacement (recorded delivery) to one of them and even that has failed to arrive.

I use Paypal postage and because I don't take them to a post office I'm not covered against loss.

This is a joke.

I had a very abusive message from a customer this morning and I just know they'll leave me a neg despite me offering a no quibble replacement or refund.

Message 32 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Just to add to this, the items that haven't arrived have been to buyers located in London and the surrounding areas.

Is there a pattern or is a coincidence with me?

Message 33 of 1,017
See Most Recent

I have often thought that if a record of every single INR was compared with the DOs they passed through, it may be found that different DOs had greatly differing standards of performance.

A lost item will not find it's way back to the seller for the simple reason it is lost, if not it would be delivered either to the addressee or the sender.

However I do remember the person who bought a picture in an auction of lost items, only to discover the sender's name and address on the back.

foxyfi43
Conversationalist

Bank - That is what I was told by my postie that lost items are evntually sold on at an auction somewhere in Ireland - don't know if I was being told porkies though!

As a seller I have had 4 parcels lost this year and it's only March - in the whole of last year I only had 3 - but the postal system in Edinburgh is all over the place with new building work at my DO so I have refunded without question and will wait for the stamps that will be sent as compensation - even though they are going up in price - quite a service you have there Royal Mail!! 

My feedback for those lost items will read "fast payer - sadly parcel lost by PO but full refund given then the date of refund. I didn't think it reads badly and so far I have not had any complaints from the buyer - she was happy to get her money back and is still bidding on my items.

Unfortunately as a buyer I have now had 2 parcels not turn up in the last 2 weeks from sellers who have always given great service before and I have hated the thought of contacting them knowing that there are these "thoughts" about buyers scamming sellers - but having had it happen to me shows me that it can be a genuine event!

Message 35 of 1,017
See Most Recent

In the last financial year, 21,106,485 were destroyed – but 5.2million were returned  to sender.

He confirmed that items ‘that have a value’ are stored for four months before being sold at auction, with proceeds used to offset the £4million annual cost of running the National Returns Centre, which has 160 full-time staff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368231/Royal-Mail-sends-25million-items-year-shredder.html

Unfortunately i have to vent somewhere and add my two cents

as just had a (another) customer tell me their Recorded delivery order hasn't arrived yet since the 19th March 2012..  tracking says its still in the delivery network...

We've been trading online for around 8 years. Small online business sending around 600 orders a month (mainly not on ebay incidentally).

In the last couple of years would normally get 1 or 2 lost or emails  from customers with late or lost goods but since Feb / March this year (2012) this year number has gone up ten fold!! to around 15 late or lost orders...and counting.

To add to this when i put a bulk claim in for the 10-20 lost parcels in 2011 I just found out , as Royal Mail Business Account customers we are no longer entitled to any compensation for late or lost mail sent by 1st / 2nd class or even signed for recorded delivery mail at all!!!! nada!!!

Only RM tracked and Special delivery is covered now!

Obviously the price of stamps has gone up too we use packetpost and that has gone up considerably...(0g - 750g is lowest band for packets now!)

As we have done for the last 8 years we make sure parcels are being clearly addresses (we try to check every single delivery address postcode) and we obviously have the return label.

Orders are being sent from 2 locations, one via a RM business collection, other lot at a post office in a different Post town, like they have been for the past 5-7 years. We've had parcels recently lost that were posted from either location.

Now I'm not sure if it's Royal Mails clever scheme to get people to sign up with RM tracked service which costs more than packetpost but cheaper then 1st class packet RD, but is no good for us as we mainly send large letters and letter size orders.

or if more and more it's untrustworthy customers claiming not to have received goods

or if it's new trainee RM delivery staff / posties

or something to do with the changes in RM / PO

any suggestions or recommendations for other options would be much appreciated

Message 37 of 1,017
See Most Recent

The amount of missing parcels this year is taking the mickey.

I swear I've had entire mail sacks go missing. I now record which parcels are together in which sacks, in order to track whether an entire or majority of the sack goes missing.

March 27th, so far 9 people have claimed their item hasn't arrived. All 2nd class, all sorted in the same sack. Only 2 more in that sack haven't been claimed INR and feedback hasn't been received.

March 19th, I sent 7 first class items. They went in the same mail sack, So far 3 people have claimed INR.

March 30th I sent 2 1st class recorded and 3 non-recorded. both of the recordeds havent arrived. 1 of the non-recorded has been INr'd and I've been negged without them even contacting me.

And that's just march. Jan and Feb have had similar.

Also regarding RM business customers not being able to claim for missing items - Half the time you ring them, they say you can. They give you the outdated details!

I phoned the business support to complain, I said I use packetpost, gave them my account number etc. I was then told I should have the proof of postage from when I paid at the post office, and that I can attach that to the claim form to get my money back.

Message 38 of 1,017
See Most Recent

Hi, Just got a very polite message off a buyer to ask when I posted their item as they had not yet received it, (item was posted lasy Monday 2/4).

I have looked at their "feedback left for others" and it seems that they have had 8 refunds in 1 month for items not received.

Any idea as to how I reply to this one?

Message 39 of 1,017
See Most Recent

save1planet

Hi there,

There is definately a increase in lost mail this year by RoyalMail. Last year, only item was needed to refunded because of INR, this year itself i have replaced one and looks like i will need to replace the second also now. I do send all my delivery buy recorded signed for or ISF. First INR was from Lithuania, where there was no tracking for that item in Lithuania. Second item was meant for Russia and its also not getting tracked in Russia.

Royalmail is going bad to worse... and they giving us this horrendous increase in postage costs now.

Thanks Royalmail

Message 40 of 1,017
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: