eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Buy iPhone 6 Now
rgv5000_0
Community Member

Royal Mail OBA Account ~ Do the new sizing dimensions apply?

Hi Everyone

Just telephoned Royal Mail to see if the BPL code sizing dimensions for small packets have altered from 8cm to 16cm to match the post office counter changes which came in on the 28th October, but was told that these only apply to post office counter transactions and not business account users. Seems strange as it is now a bit cheaper to send 1st Class Recorded by the post office counter insted of using the CRL code. Just wondered if anyone had been told anything different?

Many Thanks.

Please use plain text.
paulwk1972
Community Member

Re: Royal Mail OBA Account ~ Do the new sizing dimensions apply?

in reply to rgv5000_0

Um, the small parcel size goes up to 61 x 46 x 46, and what you pay is calculated on average weight of the parcels that you send.

At least that's what I've been told upon opening an OBA literally 2 or 3 days ago.

Create Problem. Offer Solution.
Please use plain text.
electrical-lighting-superstore
Community Member

in reply to rgv5000_0

I have always been told the following:

Post Office is different to Royal Mail. We are 2 different companies. Your account (oba) is with Royal Mail. So ignore any charges to "joe public" at Post Offices.

When the Post Office changed to the "1 2 3" parcel system (small, medium, large), this didn't affect us OBA Users. Now that they have changed again, I cannot see this involving us.

After all, it's Royal Mail who you have an account with, not the Post Office.

You might be able to use the code BPL and get cheaper rates, but don't quote me on that.

Please use plain text.
lipstickandmusic
Community Member

in reply to electrical-lighting-superstore

google 'royal mail business rates april 2013'

open the pdf. has all the info you need.

i tried to paste the link and saw all kinds of red text and pink strips.

Community Member

in reply to lipstickandmusic

Was looking at this today, I sell shoe box sizes between 650-900g, the OBA cost £3.57 signed for 48hrs no claim allowed. Royal mail has now dropped from £6.30 to £3.70 and I can claim.Most of my items are about £50.

Had a few parcels go missing in the last copule of weeks

Please use plain text.
rgv5000_0
Community Member

in reply to pnh-t

Yes, it seems wierd, I sent a parcel today via the post office counter instead of through my OBA account. OBA cost was £4.28, post office counter £4.10, and as you rightly point out you can claim for non delivery.

I suppose the best thing to do is to send them whichever way is cheaper even if it is only 18p difference!

Please use plain text.
back2back
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to rgv5000_0

I phoned the Royal Mail business team a few days ago and was told that the new small packet sizes do apply to OBA users using the BPL and BPR codes. I will call them again later to get this confirmed. We are currently using the CRL codes for shoe box size parcels which are currently costing us more than it would for the public sending parcels over the Post Office counter :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
sportsgearwizard_outlet
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to back2back

Please use plain text.
sportsgearwizard_outlet
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to rgv5000_0

I've just got off the phone to Royal Mail asking the same question. They have confirmed that the new small parcel (small packet) sizes that have been introduced recently at the Post Office can be used for OBA customers that use either the BPL or BPR codes. Hope this information is helpful to some of you

Please use plain text.
rgv5000_0
Community Member

in reply to sportsgearwizard_outlet

Thanks for posting the information about the telephone call, they told me differently, but hopefully I can start using BPL instead of CRL making prices cheaper. I think I will telephone them again but this time ask the dimension restrictions of the Small Parcel on BPL. Thanks.

Please use plain text.