Community Member

Promote your item with ebay

Hi, has anybody used this "promote your items with ebay". Does it work, what percentage should i use to start with, if i do it.

Community Member

Re: Promote your item with ebay

in reply to festivalfashionstall

I used it once and there were no sales at all of the itemd during the promotion period.  Funny though I sold three shortly after the promotion ended.  As far as I could see correct me if I'm wrong, but all i got was a duplicate listing with the words 'promoted item' at the top if it.

Community Member

currently trialing it with one item ( good seller ) 

700 impressions  

11 clicks 

no sales 

been on for a week 

waste of time 

Community Member

[ Edited ]

nope

doesnt work at all

ebay do nothing for duplicate listings which flood the search engine

which now motivate bad sellers to flood promoted listings as well with even more duplicates

all my categories are flooded with duplicated listings and highly overpriced items, the sellers make listings with higher price to include the additional % for promoted listing

so between thousands duplicate listings mine only a few are just lost completely

I get a few impressions some time, but I cant say that I did sold enough to worth bothering

if one day ebay begin to care about the buyers experience.... it may begin to work.... but no.... as for now the only ebay take care is how to make it more difficult for both, buyers and sellers, and I can definitely see a results - they do it actually very succesfully recently

Community Member

in reply to 21stcenturyhippiebazaar

Works for me to help boost my sales. This is my last 31 days

456,587 Impressions

7,157 Clicks

105 Sold

£1,774.49

This is my last 12 months of using it

5,964,686 Impressions

91,554 Clicks

1,060 Sold

£16,244 sales

Community Member

in reply to wyattharrisx

That's really good, what sort of percentage are you giving? (If you don't mind me asking) i do it with about 3.7%, and not majorly impressed with results.

Community Member

in reply to thetownjewels

Hi

I did a lot of altering about to see what works. I initially tried 1% but didn't get a result. Then went to between 5% to 7% and this worked better. I even tried the full 20% (just to see) and got less from that than expected and less then when the % was lower (strangely)

I tried the ebay suggested levels (some about 10%) so dropping back down and found it improved my sales better than using the stupidly high 20%

Eventually I settled on 3.5% to 4%, so below the suggested ebay levels for the categories I sell in and I still sell as many items via ads than when i had them on 5% to 7% or higher

I also found (if you have the time) when you create an campaign I used to sit up till midnight and start one at 12am and got sales coming in at 2am, 4am etc for when I woke up. For the first 24 hours the views were high but on the 2nd, 3rd day onwards the views nosedived, however if you do a campaign for 1 day and then do it again and so on the views remain high. I think you get a 1 day boost and then it drops to an low and continues that way

Community Member

Also forgot to add

Check the items getting no views from the ads and tinker about with titles. Check what categories the items are in. Search the same item and see what catagory other sellers have them in. 

Sometimes I find an item could sit in one of a few categories depending on what the item is. I found moving them into a different category's so long as it was still applicable to the item also helped. I had some items with 0 ad views, changed title or changed category's and BOOM they started getting views and were selling

Community Member

in reply to wyattharrisx

Great, thanks very much for that. I have also noticed that the effects of it seem to be short lived. So will try short ones instead.

A lot of the time I actually find my normal listing is higher up the search results than the promoted one, which seems odd.

It sounds like you're working hard at it, so it's good to see it's paying off for you.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to wyattharrisx

if you have such significant difference that only mean that your listigns has been completely hidden, and the only sales that you make is if you pay more money to ebay

I wouldnt be happy if my listings are completely hidden if I dont pay extra

if sellers dont realize that extortion tomorrow ebay will begin hiding promoted and will ask even more money for something else, like "promoted plus"

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

Not at all. It's helped on listings where I struggled to even get a first sale

If I turn my ads off and search my items I do find them just way down the pages, all this does it boost my low sellers or none sellers. When I get sales on them I turn the add off for that item and find sales still come through

9 out 10 sales I get are not on the back of an ad sale as I can tell from my bill

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to wyattharrisx

now you are rising just another question - how non seller become a seller

why it wasnt a seller before? and then suddenly become a seller? obviously something is wrong and it is not with your listing

I did notice same behaviour, and Im not happy that have to pay extra money to "fix" ebay issue with non (low) selling listings

and this is not even a fix. it is only a workaround for ebay issues

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

More likely because ebay puts listings on every page but page 1 (unfortunately) though I guess with time and sales that all changes. It can be difficult to just get that 1st sale on an item when in lingers on page 3, 4 or 5 so for me personally that is why it works

Might not work for others but for me it's been a real help

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to wyattharrisx

yes, I agree how it work, exactly as you say, but with my words I would say - terribly wrong and broken

but I cant agree that this "fix" should make sellers happy, at least not me

if you told me "I made several revisions, I did improve my listing and photos and this improved my sales" this sounds logic, it sounds reasonable

but now you are saying - "nothing wrong with my listings, they just dont sell and I had to pay more fees to make them sellers"

by doing that you only show ebay that the extortion work in their favour and they made more money with that simple trick, which mean they will continue to trick sellers to pay extra money only because it is all broken and they have no intention to fix it

Community Member

in reply to mnikolay80

Agree yes. I do think ebay should do more and probably could do more too. It could easily cycle around items for sale moving items to 1st page and back to 2nd etc to give all items available on ebay throughout the site a chance to get to the first page

Will they do it for free though. Nahhh

Community Member

Ebay should promote advertise and sell our items to make their fees. That's how it should work. The idea of paying more on top just to be seen is a non starter for me personally

I'd rather spend it on promoting my site or giving other venues a go than throw good money after bad if things aren't selling on ebay
Community Member

in reply to wyattharrisx

they dont do it for free - they get paid for every item sold

the problem with ebay is that they dont care for the customer experience

they dont care for their customers (all sellers) and they dont care for our customers ( all buyers )

they keep messing with the buyer choice - which is in conflict with the meaning of fair competition

on fair market all sellers should provide their best, and it should be the buyer choice, if you provide better service/products/prices and make more customers happy it will be fair if they choose you, then you are stimulated to improve your service, which will bring more customers which will bring more fees for ebay

what ebay do? they show sellers who pay more fees, doesnt matter what service they provide, ebay narrow the buyer choice which is everything else but a fair competition, they may get more fees now, but this will not stimulate sellers to improve their service, which will make more customers unhappy and will push them away permanently

Community Member

in reply to wyattharrisx

Hmmmmm......just looked at my invoice for June, and I have been charged for promoting my listings with no £10 discount (I have a featured shop). I have just got off the phone to CS, and they say that the £10 is NOT for promoting listings. It is for listing upgrades, such as subtitles, larger pictures etc.

This was my first month really of doing promoting listings, and seems like I completely misunderstood the situation!

Going to have to reread about it now, could have sworn you get £10 credit you can use for promoting.

Community Member

thetownjewels wrote:

Hmmmmm......just looked at my invoice for June, and I have been charged for promoting my listings with no £10 discount (I have a featured shop). I have just got off the phone to CS, and they say that the £10 is NOT for promoting listings. It is for listing upgrades, such as subtitles, larger pictures etc.

This was my first month really of doing promoting listings, and seems like I completely misunderstood the situation!

Going to have to reread about it now, could have sworn you get £10 credit you can use for promoting.

CS rep is just lying - IT IS for promoting - and you'll find it on next invoice - named as:

Date (PT)DescriptionAmount (GBP)

Miscellaneous credits
04-MayInvoice Credit (VAT will not be included)-£1.72
Total: -£1.72

Or current - but it's always for PREVIOUS month.

Compare the value with current/previous month - "Promote your listings fees" located at the end of the INVOICE.

Community Member

in reply to robinet_uk

Yes I looked it up, and it is clear as anything on the notice we were sent on 28th feb called 'more value for ebay shop subscribers' (!)

"listing upgrade credit to spend on listing upgrades such as promote your listings (featured and anchor shops only)"

My promoting listing fees on my invoice are for mid May to June, so I think I should have got the credit in this invoice. Luckily I was cautious, and only did a small percentage to promote, but did ok, so did want to continue with it if I actually got the credit!

As I didn't have much luck on the phone, sent an email to CS, so will see what they say....

The guy on the phone did try to help, but he obviously didn't know about it at all.