eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • The Christmas Shop!
167palmer
Community Member

Royal Mail signed for delivery - item I posted has not been delivered - what do I do?

Hi,
I posted an item last week, using Royal Mail first class signed for service. The buyer has not received the item and the Royal Mail website states that the item is still processing for delivery. The transaction was completed through Paypal. What do I do now, I have suggested they open a case through the resolution centre, is this correct? Do we need to leave a certain length of time? I realise the buyer will be refunded from my account but do I have any protection or cover for this or will I just lose my money and my item?
Many thanks for your help and any advice.
seboncyflenwadaumerthyr
Community Member

Re: Royal Mail signed for delivery - item I posted has not been delivered - what do I do?

in reply to 167palmer

I know exactly where you are coming from. I feel sorry for you. You will need to make a claim on a P58 from the Post Office, but whether Royal Mail pay you the full value is another thing. I have sent 39 items Recorded Delivery (Signed For these days) since August 27th and 11 of them are not showing as being delivered and signed for, it is a joke. Only this morning I had to refund a buyer who opened a case for an item I sent out on 11th September.

I have NEVER actually made a claoim myself but have been told it is a nightmare and you never get the value of your item refunded or even the value of the cost of postage. When I send Signed For now I just hope and Pray it gets there, they sign for it and all is OK, if they do manage to get it without signing for it I hope and pray they do not open a case as I know I will lose.

aernethril
Community Member

Re: Royal Mail signed for delivery - item I posted has not been delivered - what do I do?

in reply to 167palmer

Have you asked the buyer to check with their local sorting office to make sure it's not waiting there for collection, but the postie didn't leave a card to let them know?

Also, you could contact RM to ask them if there is an update for this item yet - although they'll probably give you a load of waffle about it not being long enough to be considered lost.

My experience is that SF is becoming a right rip-off in terms of service and is only useful if you sent an item that is valued at more than the £20 basic cover.

If there is still no joy, then ask the buyer to open an INR claim via eBay so you can refund that way and get an automatic credit for your fees.

********************************************************************************************
millielilac
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer
Its best if you can agree a date with your buyer ...eg if item does not turn up within" x " number of days then you will refund

Some buyers are happy to do this but some buyers will insist on an immediate refund....if they insist you will have little choice .

They can open a case in the resolution centre so then everything goes through the official channels ...thats fine.

If the item does not turn up and you have to refund you should use your POP to claim from RM so you should not be out of pocket.
167palmer
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer
Thank you everyone for all the advice, it's much appreciated.
167palmer
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer

Just an update and any further advice welcome!!

The Royal mail website still states they have the parcel so neither myself (the seller) nor the buyer are at fault. The parcel was sent signed for delivery, the buyer has checked their local sorting office but it is not there. With my agreement they have now opened a dispute to claim a refund. Do I just refund and lose the money (RM compensation will not cover the whole cost)? At the moment I have replied to the dispute by giving postage information but not the refund, are ebay involved at this point and looking at our case or am I just sending my buyer the information she already has from me? If I refund do I have any way to claim money back from ebay? I realise it's not their fault either but do they have insurance to cover situations like this?

towelposter
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer

167palmer wrote:

Just an update and any further advice welcome!!

The Royal mail website still states they have the parcel so neither myself (the seller) nor the buyer are at fault. The parcel was sent signed for delivery, the buyer has checked their local sorting office but it is not there. With my agreement they have now opened a dispute to claim a refund. Do I just refund and lose the money (RM compensation will not cover the whole cost)? At the moment I have replied to the dispute by giving postage information but not the refund, are ebay involved at this point and looking at our case or am I just sending my buyer the information she already has from me? If I refund do I have any way to claim money back from ebay? I realise it's not their fault either but do they have insurance to cover situations like this?

1. Have you actually asked RM to update the tracking info?
  2. Don't rely on the buyer to check with the DO, you should do that yourself.
  3. You have to refund the total that the buyer has paid.  The fact that it is under insured is down to you, not the buyer.
  4. ebay don't get involved unless either party asks them to look at it, but the info needs to be added to the case otherwise there is nothing for them to investigate.
  5. You have no case to claim anything from ebay, although they will sometimes refund the buyer themselves.  
100% pure Egyptian Cotton
167palmer
Community Member

in reply to towelposter

Thanks for the info.

Am I not covered by Paypals 'seller protection'?

I have asked the buyer to open a case through Paypal but the system wont let her as she has already opened the case through Ebay so does this mean I lose any protection I had with Paypal?

Sorry for all the questions, this is so frustrating!

temperate_porcine
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer

167palmer wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Am I not covered by Paypals 'seller protection'?

I have asked the buyer to open a case through Paypal but the system wont let her as she has already opened the case through Ebay so does this mean I lose any protection I had with Paypal?

Sorry for all the questions, this is so frustrating!

There is no seller protection for items lost in transit, your protection lies with your choice of courier and the service used.

****************************************************************************************

Wanted: a really good signature.
167palmer
Community Member

in reply to temperate_porcine

Oh ok thanks for that, it's not looking good for me then! I still query whether thats correct though? This is what it says on Paypal website :-

Most transactions go smoothly but if there's a problem, PayPal Seller Protection can help you. For example, if a buyer claims that an item didn't arrive, we can protect you for the full amount of the sale - at no extra cost. As long as a buyer pays you with PayPal, your eligible transactions are automatically protected

temperate_porcine
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer

167palmer wrote:

Oh ok thanks for that, it's not looking good for me then! I still query whether thats correct though? This is what it says on Paypal website :-

Most transactions go smoothly but if there's a problem, PayPal Seller Protection can help you. For example, if a buyer claims that an item didn't arrive, we can protect you for the full amount of the sale - at no extra cost. As long as a buyer pays you with PayPal, your eligible transactions are automatically protected

That's correct, as long as you can prove delivery.

****************************************************************************************

Wanted: a really good signature.
167palmer
Community Member

And I can only prove postage, I see now, thanks. Aaaargh, so frustrating!!!

aernethril
Community Member

in reply to 167palmer

That's why you need to get onto RM and ask them to update the system in case it has actually been delivered and signed for.

Also, you need to get your buyer to open an eBay dispute, not a Paypal one.

********************************************************************************************
167palmer
Community Member

in reply to aernethril

Thank you. How do I contact RM, all the numbers I try put me through to automated services, I dont seem able to speak to anyone!

hatsford
Community Member

One of only a few things has probably happened to your parcel. Firstly its either been lost or delivered to the customer but the postie did not get a signature - in which case the Royal Mail tracking will never update past the progressing ... message. So you will be able to make a claim from the Royal Mail.

Making a claim from RM is easy, just fill out the form, attach your postage receipt and paypal receipts showing both the payment and refund, and get a proof of posting!!! If you've never made claims before, the Royal Mail will pay you out up to the limits they allow. They may try a halfhearted fob off with some rubbish about the customer not respnding to a survey they sent, but if you keep pointing out that the tracking number does not show delivery they do in the end pay out.

The other more likely option is that the item is sat at the local delivery office awaiting collection. The customer may or may not have received a card telling them this. The customer may or may not have checked, and likewise if they did the Delivery Office may or may not have bothered to look for it. So it really is worth trying to google their Delivery Office to get the phone number and see if you can check it yourself. I've been lucky and not had to chase a missing signed for item for a couple of years, but another approach back then was to attempt to arrange redelivery of the item online, by pretending to be the customer on the Royal Mail website - I've no idea whether this is still possible.

If the item is still sat at the delivery office, it should eventually get returned to you (provided there is a return address on it). However there is a well known scam in place, whereby as soon as an unscrupulous buyer receives their refund from paypal, they rush round to the delivery office and collect their item - at which point the tracking updates to delivered, leaving the seller with no claim from either paypal or Royal Mail. So it is worth investing a little time chasing the lost item up.

---
Experience is something we gain, just after we needed it
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to hatsford

OP...........the item is still processing for delivery    does not mean that the item is lost or missing.

Quite often a buyer will try to claim for item not received because they think a seller will see the above and automatically refund without doing anything else..........they are trying it on because they know that the tracking doesnt always update and some sellers are not aware of that.

If a buyer claims Non Delivery and the tracking number at RMs website throws up the above wording, you should always telephone RM and ask them to update the tracking information.

A seller then needs to ask their buyer to open a dispute and enter the tracking number into that.

167palmer
Community Member

in reply to hatsford

Thanks again everyone for the advice. It does appear to be genuine, I have called the buyers local RM depot and they have confirmed that they have as yet not recieved the parcel for delivery so it has gone missing sometime after I posted it. I have asked the buyer to wait until the weekend which will then be 15 days just incase it appears, but can then refund, and start a claim through RM for myself.