eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
sgm305
Community Member

Sick of seeing sellers putting a £10-£20 item on ebay and the same item at 10 times the price?

Are  there no ebay rules for chancers putting their bargain  items up on ebay on a similar, repeated auction, but  with 10 times the price, or for the 'classic' £999.00 in the chance someone short-sighted, with learning difficulties or just plain in a hurry, mis-reads it and  doesn't realise they are being ripped -off ?

The more I see on ebay,  the more I realise some 'Trusted Sellers' are equally likely to abuse this title and screw over a naive buyer.

I take time to read these up in case some are job-lots or bumper packs etc, but they are not. They are just deliberate rip-offs.

I know distance selling regs apply, but the same buyer may not be aware of them to get their cash back and some 'Joey Essex' just ends up a grand down with a £3 phone case or similar.

This isn't really in the spirit of the ebay community, is it?

I know the educated say 'caveat emptor', but where does this ancient principle leave the disadvantaged. Are they left to stumble around in the dark by the great ebay overseers?

Please use plain text.
lemon-p
Community Member

Re: Sick of seeing sellers putting a £10-£20 item on ebay and the same item at 10 times the price?

in reply to sgm305

re  there no ebay rules for chancers putting their bargain  items up on ebay on a similar, repeated auction, but  with 10 times the price, or for the 'classic' £999.00 in the chance someone short-sighted, with learning difficulties or just plain in a hurry, mis-reads it and  doesn't realise they are being ripped -off ?

They do it to maintain their position in the placings in the listing order when they are out of stock, 

--------------------------------------------------------------
Defective Inspector lemon at your service!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

Re: Sick of seeing sellers putting a £10-£20 item on ebay and the same item at 10 times the price?

[ Edited ]
in reply to sgm305

sgm305 wrote:

Are  there no ebay rules for chancers putting their bargain  items up on ebay on a similar, repeated auction, but  with 10 times the price, or for the 'classic' £999.00 in the chance someone short-sighted, with learning difficulties or just plain in a hurry, mis-reads it and  doesn't realise they are being ripped -off ?

The more I see on ebay,  the more I realise some 'Trusted Sellers' are equally likely to abuse this title and screw over a naive buyer.

I take time to read these up in case some are job-lots or bumper packs etc, but they are not. They are just deliberate rip-offs.

I know distance selling regs apply, but the same buyer may not be aware of them to get their cash back and some 'Joey Essex' just ends up a grand down with a £3 phone case or similar.

I know the educated say 'caveat emptor', but where does this ancient principle leave the disadvantaged. Are they left to stumble around in the dark by the great ebay overseers?

It's cheating, but a quite different sort of cheating from what you seem to imagine, and one he is very unlikely to be caught for. They want to put off buyers while they temporarily don't have the stock which the Selling Practices Policy obliges them to have throughout the auction. It saves them money and trouble, and a buyer would have to pay the 999.99 to get proof that they can't supply. In the freakishly unlikely event that one does, it is no worse than any other failure to supply, and it takes a few of those to do a seller harm. Then when stock comes in, his place in an "ends soonest" stock remains high.

About the best you can do is avoid the cheap auctions which he may or may not have stock to fulfil. Anybody who cheats eBay will cheat anybody, and there are other things he can do wrong.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to sgm305

sgm305 wrote:

That's not why they do it at all and I think you have a number of points in your OP that may well be taken personally with what you imply

Generalisation isn't always a good thing 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to silkenrobe

silkenrobe wrote:

sgm305 wrote:

That's not why they do it at all and I think you have a number of points in your OP that may well be taken personally with what you imply

Generalisation isn't always a good thing 

I think the OP was wrong about the reason for an abuse he correctly identified, and of course that particular abuse is avoidable by anybody sufficiently compos mentis to fulfil the requirement of being legally able to form a contract. But it isn't in the spirit of the eBay community to cheat eBay, and make buyers bypass fake auctions in order to do it.

He is also right that the various forms of elevated status achievable by sellers can be achieved by volume of sales and the various shady methods by which bad feedback can be adjusted. Of course the great majority of eBay sellers are honest and conscientious, and do a valuable job of getting merchandise to the customer at less than retail prices. But there is no dodging the fact that there is a substantial majority who fall down on honesty and/or competence. The system isn't wrong, taken as a whole, because we could miss out a lot if access to eBay were more constrained. But it takes more watching than most.

That minority are the ones who would perform the unusual mental gymnastic of taking generalisations personally. 

Please use plain text.
homerjae2
Community Member

in reply to sgm305

sgm305 wrote:

Seller sets the price . Buyer decides to buy or not buy.

Sellers cannot be responsible for the buying practices of those who do not read the listing or who do not understand a clearly stated price - and that includes the short sighted, those with learning difficulties, or those in a hurry

The spirit of the eBay is commerce. I don't believe social responsibility is part of their corporate ethic 

Please use plain text.
toon1990
Community Member

in reply to sgm305

sgm305 wrote:

Forgetting for a second that your assumptions are incorrect, sellers can charge what they like for an item. It's up to buyers to decide if they want to pay it. 

No matter what way you look at, there's no scam and the term rip-off is subjective.

That said, I'm pretty sure this is just a rant and run.

Please use plain text.
6x
Community Member

in reply to toon1990

I once put the decimal point in the wrong place in a catalogue upload and multiplied all my prices by 10

It was only when something sold at the inflated price that I realised!

Please use plain text.
loveabargainido
Community Member

in reply to homerjae2

homerjae1 wrote:

sgm305 wrote:

Seller sets the price . Buyer decides to buy or not buy.

Sellers cannot be responsible for the buying practices of those who do not read the listing or who do not understand a clearly stated price - and that includes the short sighted, those with learning difficulties, or those in a hurry

The spirit of the eBay is commerce. I don't believe social responsibility is part of their corporate ethic 

We've all seen this devious practice used by the barrow boys to keep their search positions .....

Why would they have to knowingly do it if it wasn't for trying to circumvent some policy or other ?

.......I often watched a  blueray player seller up & down his bin  prices like a flippin yoyo .

the listings stated the player's specs may vary but the colour would always be black........ ( made I larf ...ho-ho !),

You could always tell when he had stock because he wasn''t changing from free P+P  to £10 P+P either every five minutes and the item price was about average compared to other sellers ....

the item price would also increase when out of stock but only by about  £10 to £15  although  it was  just enough so that if a buyer did come along then this seller only had to buy an equivalent  player from another seller and string this buyer along for a few days until it was received and then send on to the original buyer.........he also makes a few quid into the bargain.

The other day I received a call from my bank's fraud office as they were querying my buying practices on the river the day before ..........I had not bought from the river for five months so they were concerned when six seperate buys  popped up in one day along with a request for a "prime" trial.........................

now I didn't mind that  their system can and does flag the unusual .........at least they've got a system .

Please use plain text.
toon1990
Community Member

in reply to loveabargainido

Devious? Seems a bit much. 

Please use plain text.
loveabargainido
Community Member

in reply to toon1990
Er , no

devious
/ˈdiːvɪəs/
adjective

: devious1. showing a skilful use of underhand tactics to achieve goals.
"he's as devious as a politician needs to be"
synonyms: underhand, underhanded, deceitful, dishonest, dishonourable, disreputable, unethical, unprincipled, immoral, unscrupulous, fraudulent, cheating, dubious, dirty, unfair, treacherous, duplicitous, double-dealing, Janus-faced, below the belt, two-timing, two-faced, unsporting, unsportsmanlike; Morecrafty, cunning, calculating, artful, conniving, scheming, designing, sly, wily, guileful, tricky; sneaky, sneaking, furtive, secret, secretive, clandestine, surreptitious, covert, veiled, shrouded, cloak-and-dagger, hugger-mugger, hole-and-corner, hidden, back-alley, backstairs, under the table, conspiratorial; snide, snidey; informalcrooked, shady, bent, low-down, murky, fishy; informaldodgy; informalshonky; informalslim "he exposed the many devious ways in which governments bent the rules in their favour"

antonyms: above board
2. (of a route or journey) longer and less direct than the most straightforward way.
"they arrived at the town by a devious route"
synonyms: circuitous, roundabout, indirect, meandering, winding, serpentine, tortuous, rambling;
Please use plain text.
toon1990
Community Member

loveabargainido wrote:
Er , no

devious
/ˈdiːvɪəs/
adjective

synonyms: underhand, underhanded, deceitful, dishonest, dishonourable, disreputable, unethical, unprincipled, immoral, unscrupulous, fraudulent, cheating, dubious, dirty, unfair, treacherous, duplicitous, double-dealing, Janus-faced, below the belt, two-timing, two-faced, unsporting, unsportsmanlike; Morecrafty, cunning, calculating, artful, conniving, scheming, designing, sly, wily, guileful, tricky; sneaky, sneaking, furtive, secret, secretive, clandestine, surreptitious, covert, veiled, shrouded, cloak-and-dagger, hugger-mugger, hole-and-corner, hidden, back-alley, backstairs, under the table, conspiratorial; snide, snidey; informalcrooked, shady, bent, low-down, murky, fishy; informaldodgy; informalshonky; informalslim "he exposed the many devious ways in which governments bent the rules in their favour"

2. (of a route or journey) longer and less direct than the most straightforward way.
synonyms: circuitous, roundabout, indirect, meandering, winding, serpentine, tortuous, rambling;

I don't require a definition. Although, it illustrates my opinion. Plenty of more appropriate terms, however you chose devious as you know what it conveys :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
loveabargainido
Community Member

in reply to toon1990

toon1990 wrote:

loveabargainido wrote:
Er , no

devious
/ˈdiːvɪəs/
adjective

I don't require a definition. Although, it illustrates my opinion. Plenty of more appropriate terms, however you chose devious as you know what it conveys :smileywink:

I don't require a definition.

the definition is for any reader's benefit ...if they're interested 

Although, it illustrates my opinion.

In what way ?

Plenty of more appropriate terms,

such as ?...

however you chose devious

yes

as you know what it conveys 

yes ,:the answer is in the defintion ......plenty to choose from

smileywink:

Please use plain text.
toon1990
Community Member

loveabargainido wrote:

toon1990 wrote:

loveabargainido wrote:
Er , no

devious
/ˈdiːvɪəs/
adjective

Plenty of more appropriate terms,

such as ?...

Did you read your own post? Perhaps you just used copy and paste, but synonym means similar word. If you scroll back a bit, you'll find plenty. 

Please use plain text.