eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Get inspired!
hiflity
Community Member

MC999

I have purchase a bottle of fragrance yesterday on BIN from an ebay seller, Payment was made soon after purchase via Paypal. The description stated that the product is genuine and will come in the original sealed box.

Today I have received an email from ebay informing me that the seller has violated Ebay's rules and therefore I may or may not receive my goods. If I am to receive it, I should check it to see if it matches the seller's description. The email's heading was MC999.

I have read that the item can be de-listed for a variety of reasons.Can I ask Ebay why the seller has been in breach of their rules? I am concerned that this seller is not peddling fakes. How do I ascertain, if I do get the item, that it is the genuine article and not a fake?

Please use plain text.
muvva!
Community Member

Re: MC999

in reply to hiflity

The perfume was probably fake

eBay wont tell you why as its confidential.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to hiflity
You can ask, of course, but they won't be more specific than they've already said

Personally, I wouldn't buy perfume on ebay as there are 1000's of fakes on here
How do you prove it's fake? No idea, but if it makes you go blotchy one would hazard a guess it's not good for your skin
I'd also suggest the lipstick you bought is a fake as well, especially given they retail at over £8 and you paid just over £2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
Please use plain text.
huckleberry-house
Community Member

in reply to silkenrobe

If it is fake the likelihood is it'll be cheaply made.

Perfumes have 3 'tones'. With cheap quality perfumes, the top tone tends to smell nice even if it is cheap, but once this wears off the bottom 2 will smell rancid. 

If you wear it and it doesn't smell so good after a bit of wear, chances are it's of cheap quality and fake.

eBay! Home of the defective seller.
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

in reply to hiflity

They must feel pretty suref their case to tell you even that much, but I would be very surprised if they tell you more. It could have been something unconnected with the item, or even with his buyers, such as an ingenious and near-criminal way of dodging eBay fees. Or he could have been selling stolen (but genuine) property. 

I am sure that in these circumstances he might as well book a skiing holiday in the Congo as try to defend a SNAD claim, if you do find anything wrong with the item. eBay will pay you if he has no balance in his account. But detecting that is up to you. His recent feedback may give some information on what he has been up to.

Please use plain text.
hiflity
Community Member

in reply to gallovidian

The seller's feedback appears to be pretty sound. He has a score of 4684 @ 99.8%.

Ebay seems to rate him highly. Here's how they describe him on his listing page: "This member is an eBay Top-rated seller"

I have been in touch with him to find out when I should expect to receive the item. He responded to tell me that it has been posted yesterday and to expect it in the next 2-3 days. 

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to hiflity
""This member is an eBay Top-rated seller""

Just because they bring in lads of money for ebay doesn't mean they don't sell fakes nor does it make them a good seller

(A lot of TRS's have 100's of 1000's of FB and it is at 98.8% but they have 100's of negs left per month)
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to hiflity

hiflity wrote:

The seller's feedback appears to be pretty sound. He has a score of 4684 @ 99.8%.

Ebay seems to rate him highly. Here's how they describe him on his listing page: "This member is an eBay Top-rated seller"

I have been in touch with him to find out when I should expect to receive the item. He responded to tell me that it has been posted yesterday and to expect it in the next 2-3 days. 

It takes time to get into TRS status if he is doing everything right, and time to get out of it if he is caught bending. The transaction sounds OK so far. Maybe he was caught buying or otherwise extorting feedback.

It is the ratio of good to bad feedback that really counts, no matter how many zeroes are on the numbers. It is fair to say that it is more accurate for a large seller. 98% feedback for someone with fifty sales in a year is a single neg, which could be one of those undeserved ones we hear about, but 98% for someone with 50,000 is statistics.

Please use plain text.