eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Get inspired!
benllechbayviewer
Community Member

Beware fake Paypal emails

[ Edited ]

Got several the last few days and they are quite realistic - could easily fool someone new to Ebay or Paypal

Don't click on anything just forward to spoof and delete!

the message contains several clickable links pretending to be to paypal but if you hover your cursor over them you see they are directed to another completely different site

here is an example

You sent a payment Transaction ID: 38V76**********

Dear customer, You sent a mobile payment for £79.33 GBP to Lucy Atashsokhan. A message has been sent to the recipient asking to accept or refuse the payment. Please note that it may take a little while for this payment to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview. View the details of this transaction online Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account at http@@@@@@@. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Centre at htt@@@@@@@@@@_contact_us. Amount: £79.33 GBP Sent on: 01 August 2013 Yours sincerely, PayPal Help Centre | Safety Advice Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page. Copyright 2013 PayPal-Customers. All rights reserved. PayPal-Customers (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxemburg RCS Luxemburg B 108 329 PayPal-Customers Email ID argv

Please use plain text.
juliehere2buy
Community Member

Re: Beware fake Paypal emails

in reply to benllechbayviewer

Had a fake pay pal email a few weeks back  warning me that my account would have to be suspended if I didn't confirm some  info, as they had reason to believe there had been suspicious activity on my pay pal account. I knew my account was fine and their deadline of July 10th came and went and my account is still totally okay. 

Some people though could very easily be taken in by those types of mails.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

benllechbayviewer wrote:

Got several the last few days and they are quite realistic - could easily fool someone new to Ebay or Paypal

the message contains several clickable links pretending to be to paypal but if you hover your cursor over them you see they are directed to another completely different site

here is an example

Dear customer, You sent a mobile payment for £79.33 GBP to Lucy Atashsokhan. A message has been sent to the recipient asking to accept or refuse the payment. Please note that it may take a little while for this payment to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview. View the details of this transaction online Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account at http@@@@@@@. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Centre at htt@@@@@@@@@@_contact_us. Amount: £79.33 GBP Sent on: 01 August 2013 Yours sincerely, PayPal Help Centre | Safety Advice Please do not reply to this email because we are not monitoring this inbox. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page. Copyright 2013 PayPal-Customers. All rights reserved. PayPal-Customers (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxemburg RCS Luxemburg B 108 329 PayPal-Customers Email ID argv

The highlighted bit should make it easy for people to know this is spam

Activity is, immediate in PP - always has been for me anyway 

I am surprised people still fall for this rubbish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
Please use plain text.
singleissuefanatic
Community Member

in reply to silkenrobe

I've just had exactly the same email, same amount and recipient, so glad to be reassued that it's spam.

As you say, the links actually all go to the same website address which is just a string of characters.

But very convincing!

Please use plain text.
loveabargainido
Community Member

in reply to silkenrobe

silkenrobe wrote:

benllechbayviewer wrote:

here is an example

The highlighted bit should make it easy for people to know this is spam

Activity is, immediate in PP - always has been for me anyway 

I am surprised people still fall for this rubbish

Silken , every day thousands of people become Ebay/Paypal virgins.........we were all new to this once ...not fair . 

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to loveabargainido

It's all over the news, newspapers, the internet - all warning you never to click links in an email. With all the media coverage on this type of stuff, I am still surprised when people fall for it
It's not just ebay and Pp who have phishing mails using their headers, it's everything you can think of
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
Please use plain text.
millielilac
Community Member

Just forward any suspicious emails to spoof @hotmail.com

I have done tis on a couple of occasions and they have got back to me confirming it was a phishing email.
Please use plain text.
gone-fishing10
Community Member

Please read my post re spoof E Mails.

Please use plain text.