The oldbies, midbies, newbies thread

spuds in tyres thread

Message 1 of 55
See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

It may take some time unforch though Asda sell reasonable Bramleys so the pie machine of life need not stop 🍰😎

Message 21 of 55
See Most Recent

Sure those will taste just fine.Woman Very Happy  I will buy the custard.  Woman LOL

Message 22 of 55
See Most Recent

Splendid

We had chickens when I was doing my national service in Rangoon. One even got promoted to major general, though being female was barred from the officers mess naturally.

Haven't seen suzi q for ages, far as i recall she stopped posting before the old boards got merged, and may like some others have fallen foul of the inactive account policy of ebay at that time, since i cant see her account

Do you earth up your spuds, since there seems little space?

Vines can grow in all sorts of conditions, though the grapes you get will vary a lot
Although that one is in a very tall pot, im not sure whether the intent is to plant it out or not, since being in a pot will restrict its growth and crop potential quite a lot
How are those daughters of yours

very nice path for a stroll and meander. How about ducks or a goat??
I saw a goat who had adopted some Kurdish forces in northern Syria and travelled everywhere with them and was free to roam at will.

Message 23 of 55
See Most Recent

Wow, Major General Chicken. Woman Very Happy

I never expected much from the grape vine to be honest. Just bought it and hoped for the best. Woman Very Happy Yes I can well imagine in a few years the roots will be too big for the container. I doubt really if it would survive outside of the greenhouse though. 

Message 24 of 55
See Most Recent

There was none of this inactive account policy in my day, oh no. Just haircuts, The Andrews Sisters and rationing. Disgraceful.

I blame the feedback changes.

I do indeed earth up my spuds but have quite a lot of space not boasting, but I expect you mean ms. 61_6, I've never earthed her spuds up but I think she already has once..

Can you transfer the vine into a giant builder's sand bag with the sides rolled down to bucket height?

char_major.gif

Message 25 of 55
See Most Recent

Yes I have earthed up my spuds not long ago. Woman Very Happy

That is a great idea about the builder's sand bag. I will see if I can get hold of one of those for next year. 

Message 26 of 55
See Most Recent

Cat Very Happy

I get logs delivered in them & they're great planters, I put spuds in with the sides rolled right down then roll them up as I want to earth up the spuds. It  means the sides don't block out so much light as when I plant in the bottom of a bucket Man Very Happy

Message 27 of 55
See Most Recent

I will remember all this.. Wow, soon I will be so garden educated I will get my green finger badge. Woman Very Happy

Message 28 of 55
See Most Recent

You likely could, though they need long root runs ,you could also plant them out depending where you are and what aspect in your garden
in W Wales you could probably get away with it

I treat my vines like my old barber did hair. trimmed on top, plenty of brylcream or axle grease on the stem
grapes had hairs on them, and won prizes, several even appeared as Toni and Guy models

avoid frost pockets, and try for south facing or SW aspect, perhaps near a wall, same as peaches a later fruiting variety may help

You could create your own mini greenhouse around a small plant

anything in a container will eventually restrict growth and water can become a problem smaller the container, quicker you reach that situation

Message 29 of 55
See Most Recent

I had a try at growing carrots last year, but no success. They grew more like a thick button shape, than a carrot shape. Woman Frustrated 

The herbs grew well. I am just learning really, pottering around, enjoying seeing what I can grow.  Woman Very Happy

Mainly flowers this year. I planted out the Sweet Peas the other day, they will grow up a trellis I have adjoined to my shed. 

Message 30 of 55
See Most Recent

My carrots grow a bit then disappear. They're in log bags under mesh as well, some sort of desperate mole? Cat Surprised

Message 31 of 55
See Most Recent

Oo, those moles need telling off. Woman LOL

Message 32 of 55
See Most Recent

Naughty moles grrr also naughty squirrels in terms of chicken food grrrr

BUT squirrels go away for a week or so if I shoot the metal sheet with a catapult Smiley LOL

Message 33 of 55
See Most Recent

Ahaa, so that is where the pinging sounds were coming from. I wondered. Woman LOL

Message 34 of 55
See Most Recent

Probably, but check there isn't a submarine under the house 😉

Message 35 of 55
See Most Recent

>>>>> Woman Surprised I had a look with my periscope, luckily no submarines were under my house. Woman Very Happy

Message 36 of 55
See Most Recent

There's room for one under mine but I've never seen one down there. Possibly there's some from an ancient prehistoric civilisation that lived when all this was the sea here, still pinging owing to everlasting batteries that we haven't reinvented yet but encased under a mile of rock deposited by some slightly less ancient volcano. It doesn't seem likely but you never know.

Message 37 of 55
See Most Recent

There is a little stream running under my home. Woman Frustrated I always hope the water level never rises. Woman Surprised

Message 38 of 55
See Most Recent

Hmmmm it will probably be ok, the ancients had ways of building over water, there'll be some unseen expedient 😉

Message 39 of 55
See Most Recent

Yes all should be okay if an overflow. Some holes are in the stone wall. Woman Very Happy

Message 40 of 55
See Most Recent