TSUNAMI - Please help The Maldives

timntri
Hi Everyone
I cannot think of anyone who has not been either personally affected through someone they know or just through the mind blowing impact of such a massive disaster.
With all that everyone has done and given already from all parts of the world it becomes obvious that we, as a race so often in conflict may even have some hope for a better future.

We are a small church in the South of England and have been astounded at how, even over the course of the Christmas and New Year Bank holiday period people have been able to pull out the stops to help.

This is an appeal for any items that you may have that you can spare from the following list of items. We have a container being filled at the moment and road and air transport for the load has been kindly donated. The relief load has been cleared with the Maldives High Commission for customs and fast distribution upon arrival and the container will be shipped out during the week of the the Jan 9th.

Clothes are not required as there has already been a mass of items donated. Neither are we asking for monetary donations. What is desperately needed are item of practical use.

1st Aid equipment, blankets, duvets, sheets and other bedding, towels, sewing equipment (needles, cotton, scissors, etc) tents, tarpaulins and other camping equipment, generators, gardening items (trowels, forks, spades etc)

Items do not need to be new but should be usable.

If you have any of the above items that you can spare, not matter how much or how little then please either respond here or email me direct at zelore@msn.com and I will contact you with further information.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone for all they have done so far and for any help you feel you can give to this particular appeal

Tim Margetts
Message 1 of 187
See Most Recent
186 REPLIES 186

timntri
Hi all

Righ a bit of news for you all and a MAJOR!!!!! request.

1st some news

I have just got off the phone from Nicola in the FOM collection HQ in Southampton. Yesterday we had 2 messages from some two the smaller atols in the Maldives.

Some mothers there had just opened some packages from us and sent back praise and thanks for all of our efforts. they said it was the 1st time they had been able to feed an clothe their babies proplerly since the disaster and they were stunned at the quality of the items we had sent.
This sort of response just goes to remind us why we are all doing what we are doing. So let me too, once again, extend my very sincere thanks to you all.

The second bit of news is that we have been given a massive empty warehouse at the docks in Southampton to act as our central collecting depot. The storage issue that we had has now been greatly improved.

However, and here we come to the major ask.
We need to set up the facilities so we can use the warehouse properly so we need the equipment to do this.

We need to set up a basic kitchen (kettle, mugs, cutlery. plates, microwave, table, chairs etc); a basic office (phones, p.c.'s, printer, desks, chairs, filing cabinets, etc); basic meeting room (chairs, table, whiteboard, maybe even an OHP) and a rest area with a few comfy chairs and maybe a couch in case people actually get the time to collapse in a corner for 5 mins 😉
For the warehouse we need bollards and hazard warning signs and tape. We also desperately need a couple of scales to weigh items over 200kg, shed loads of black and red permanent markers ( we need red for medical and black for everything else) and wipeboard pens.

Gosh, that is stacks, but the more that we can find without cost the less we have to dig into donated funds so if you could see what you can do and maybe talk to any contacts you might have, if I am fortunate then someone might know someone in office supply or similar, or your work might have just refurbished and have a load of unwanted chairs/desks etc they need to get rid of.
Items dont have to be new, just usable.

If you can help in any way then email me or post so i can co-ordinate getting the new facility set up.

With Many Many Thanks

Tim
Message 81 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim I have and or can get my hands on a fair bit of that stuff but have no way of getting it to you
Kiss It
Message 82 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Thanks TP, can you let me know what you have or can get hold of and I will see what can be done re logistics of getting it down here

Tim
Message 83 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
Tim - What about contacting the local paper (Argus) asking them to help.
Message 84 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
We are in touch with the press so good idea, will put a word out to them tomorrow.

Tim
Message 85 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi everyone. I thought you might like to see this picture of some of our aid arriving where it is most needed. On a small atol in the Maldives

Well of to bed now as i have another long day tomorrow.

Night all

Tim
Message 86 of 187
See Most Recent

Tim, do you still need cuddly toys??
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 87 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Please, also toys for older kids

Tim
Message 88 of 187
See Most Recent

ok, to the same address?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 89 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Yes please

Tim
Message 90 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
Tim is lancing social club able to take summer clothing and toys yet?
i took round things on the other lists on friday but dont want to take the toys and clothes round if they cant take them yet.

karen

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 91 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Hi Hilda

We can take the toys and some (very few) light baby clothes

Yours
Tim
Message 92 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
Tim the clothes i have are for children aged between 5 to 8 approx. All summer ie shorts t shirts, and summer sandals are these any good to you?

Message 93 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Can you give me a ring tomorrow at Nina's after 9.30ish and I will let you know, The sandles should be ok, not sure about the others so hold fire till then.

If you dont have Nina's number it is the one on the old poster or the 2nd one listed on the new poster

Tim
Message 94 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
Ok ...i have the number i will ring in the morning
karen

Message 95 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Right definitely going to bed now as I want to see what the wife looks like these days 🙂

Besides, I wanted to try out the new siggy

Yours
Tim
Message 96 of 187
See Most Recent

queen-hilda
very nice siggy...now go to bed

goodnite
karen

Message 97 of 187
See Most Recent

timntri
Morning all

Hope you are all well, looking forward to seeing what another day has in store for me 😉 Welocme to orgnised chaos

Tim
Message 98 of 187
See Most Recent

tim do you still need tools baby milk etc? can we have an uptodate list please!
Message 99 of 187
See Most Recent

granadacars
My local Sainsbury's are getting involved.

They are willing to display posters and have a donation trolley just like the local Asda.
Message 100 of 187
See Most Recent